ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

2 hours ago, axlweave said:

I really wish Zodiac had vocals 

Zodiac is awesome - REALLY good. 

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The notes on the Village discs say “Zodiac w/o Vocals,” so hopefully a version WITH vocals leaks someday!

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 Please!

• GNFNR 1

On 03/03/2020 at 6:59 PM, sofine11 said:

My only problem with SOG is that it is damn near impossible to decipher what Axl's singing in certain spots, particularly during that breakdown.  Though as a demo it's definitely solid.

And I agree, it's a crime that these songs have been collecting dust for 20 years, and really gives us a glimpse into the behind the scenes mania that's been crippling this band for the last two decades.

Seems pretty obvious they're scratch vocals. There obviously aren't lyrics for the high part from 'Why did you think blah blah tell me? Bah da da da the way bah dah' until he comes back in with 'ooohhh, can it be, you've fallen from your grace with me.' 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Seems pretty obvious they're scratch vocals. There obviously aren't lyrics for the high part from 'Why did you think blah blah tell me? Bah da da da the way bah dah' until he comes back in with 'ooohhh, can it be, you've fallen from your grace with me.' 

The full song has lyrics lol. Bacardi (on gnfnr) deciphered the whole thing shortly after it leaked.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The full song has lyrics lol. Bacardi (on gnfnr) deciphered the whole thing shortly after it leaked.

I've not seen them and am skeptical. Seems to me he's just making Axl noises. He even comes in too early at one point. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

I've not seen them and am skeptical. Seems to me he's just making Axl noises. He even comes in too early at one point. 

Nah there's definitely full lyrics, aside from maybe 2-3 indecipherable words. If I can't find them later, maybe I'll try typing them out.

Is the part where he comes in too early: "you thought you had it, yea, you thought you had it figured out but you don't even caaaaaaaaaaarrreee...." ?

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Nah there's definitely full lyrics, aside from maybe 2-3 indecipherable words. If I can't find them later, maybe I'll try typing them out.

Is the part where he comes in too early: "you thought you had it, yea, you thought you had it figured out but you don't even caaaaaaaaaaarrreee...." ?

I've listened to it like 50+ times and it never occurred to me once there were lyrics. I'll be amazed.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

There’s nothing to suggest Axl did another vocal take of this (yet). All other vocal tracks made on these songs remain virtually untouched, apart from some additions - Chinese democracy as an example.

8 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

So I heard this song. I'm sure not saying anything new here but damn Axl's voice is thin! Missing the balls completely there. Jesus christ. Actually sounds a lot like in those recent soundcheck clips on Instagram. Yeesh. Poor Axl.

LOL, you're listening to an un mastered demo that was recorded two decades ago. His vocals would sound much better when mastered. 

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

LOL, you're listening to an un mastered demo that was recorded two decades ago. His vocals would sound much better when mastered. 

This may be, but he doesn't seem to have any rasp or power in that demo. Not that it matters now, just pointing out the obvious. And that he unfortunately sounds as bad in those recent soundcheck clips. Sadly.

1 minute ago, weaponsnflowers said:

This may be, but he doesn't seem to have any rasp or power in that demo. Not that it matters now, just pointing out the obvious. And that he unfortunately sounds as bad in those recent soundcheck clips. Sadly.

Again, he's aged 20 years since then, so if course he's gonna sound bad now. That's not so much sad as it as a fact of life. 

On 2020-03-11 at 3:16 AM, Jordan Rose said:

I've listened to it like 50+ times and it never occurred to me once there were lyrics. I'll be amazed.

I couldn't find the lyrics that were posted months ago on gnfnr, but after listening to it again here's my attempt at the lyrics in the 2nd half:

When did you think you would tell me
How long you think I can wait (oh no, I just...)
I thought I never said I was sorry
Now don't you count on your faith now, you'll never learn
The storm is comin' to get ya, oh
I sense a shivering doom
You thought you had it, yea
You thought you had it figured out
But you don't even care

My love... killin' me
You've fallen from your grace with me
Oh, my love, ah
I asked for (?) I believe in
'Cause now, more than ever
I still remember,
Your name...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I couldn't find the lyrics that were posted months ago on gnfnr, but after listening to it again here's my attempt at the lyrics in the 2nd half:

When did you think you would tell me
How long you think I can wait (oh no, I just...)
I thought I never said I was sorry
Now don't you count on your faith now, you'll never learn
The storm is comin' to get ya, oh
I sense a shivering doom
You thought you had it, yea
You thought you had it figured out
But you don't even care

My love... killin' me
You've fallen from your grace with me
Oh, my love, ah
I asked for (?) I believe in
'Cause now, more than ever
I still remember,
Your name...

Nice! It’s always been clear to me that he is singing clearly defined lyrics. I never thought they were scratch vocals. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Nice! It’s always been clear to me that he is singing clearly defined lyrics. I never thought they were scratch vocals. 

It seems like an early vocal take, probably not the final one, but yea the demo we've heard definitely has completed lyrics. My attempt at deciphering them is probably a bit off, though.

12 hours ago, weaponsnflowers said:

So I heard this song. I'm sure not saying anything new here but damn Axl's voice is thin! Missing the balls completely there. Jesus christ. Actually sounds a lot like in those recent soundcheck clips on Instagram. Yeesh. Poor Axl.

Funny I actually really like the vocals on it, something so raw about it and so undeniably Axl. Hope they keep these vocals if there is an official release.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:58 PM, Arnuld said:

Wow, weird, guess I was wrong. Before I heard it I'd read others saying they were scratch and just noises so that's what I expected and listened for. Strange how the brain works like that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Wow, weird, guess I was wrong. Before I heard it I'd read others saying they were scratch and just noises so that's what I expected and listened for. Strange how the brain works like that. 

I never heard all of the lyrics either until @Gordon Comstock listed them above. Now that’s all I hear! I still think of this song is ever officially released the vocals will be redone or added to  

• Like 2

I still think Perhaps is the best song out of the set, but Atlas Shrugged's lyrics are stronger than all of them. It's for this reason i think it has more staying power than most of the leaks. State of Grace is good, but clearly needs much more work. Hardschool is a great rocker but could do with a lot of refining. Eye on You is, well, Eye on You.

47 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I still think Perhaps is the best song out of the set, but Atlas Shrugged's lyrics are stronger than all of them. It's for this reason i think it has more staying power than most of the leaks. State of Grace is good, but clearly needs much more work. Hardschool is a great rocker but could do with a lot of refining. Eye on You is, well, Eye on You.

Yeah I can’t see them doing State of Grace unless they were motivated enough to rework almost all of it, which I doubt they are. There’s a good song in there somewhere, but the version we heard is nowhere near “radio ready.”

Atlas and Perhaps both sound closer to being done. I still think they both need some work too, but not much. The problem tho is that they sound too similar to one another, and between the two of them, I feel like Atlas is the slightly stronger song. I think that one should be prioritized, and Perhaps should be downgraded to b-side territory.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think Perhaps is a much better song with a much better guitar solo. The other leads during the verses are kinda busy IMO, it could be a bit less convoluted. 

The other leads on Atlas you mean? Yeah I agree, to a certain degree. I actually don’t really like the extra lead guitar on the RoughMix1 version of Atlas. I prefer the simpler version from one of the other discs that had leaked earlier.

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

The other leads on Atlas you mean? Yeah I agree, to a certain degree. I actually don’t really like the extra lead guitar on the RoughMix1 version of Atlas. I prefer the simpler version from one of the other discs that had leaked earlier.

No, I was only talking about Perhaps. I think there are at least two guitars playing some riffs (kinda like the arpeggios in the CITR intro and verses). In Perhaps, it sounds busy with the uptempo piano. And I love the song, IMO it's the best one of the demos along with Hardschool. 

I like Atlas, but to me it sounds way too much like alt-rock from late 90s. Which is fine, but I don't think the song should be reworked. Maybe slowed down a bit would help.