The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

38 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I was all in back in 2016.  Was at the tour opener in Vegas, and front row at Soldier Field in Chicago.  I paid...a lot of money, and did so happily.  But now?  No way in hell I'm paying that kind of money again to see essentially the same setlist give or take a song or two by the same guys, now 5 years older and less interested in sounding great.  No fucking way.  New album or bust.

Same... went to both Vegas shows and was front row in Seattle in 2016, and it was totally worth it. GNR have been my favourite band for most of my life. But man, they really fucking suck now, it's sad. If they release something new and it lights a fire under them, I'd go see them again, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Seems like now they're getting what they wanted for quite a while. Get rid of the hardcore fans, please the casuals with as little effort as possible.

Man, if that has been the internal strategy then maybe Fernando is a secret genius. :lol:

The only reason ChiDem came out anyways was cause of a perfect storm: Dr. Pepper, Skrewl, Best Buy, Azoff telling the label that he’d convince Axl to reunite with Slash as long as they get ChiDem out of the way first, etc.

Same thing can be said for NITL. It was a perfect storm: Slash’s divorce, BBF getting fed up, Tommy being double-booked with the Mats and Duff filling in, all of their mutual friends whispering in Axl’s ear, etc.

Something like that would probably need to happen again for a new album to actually happen.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Until the genius finds out that once the casuals are bored and move on (already happening imo) theres no more money to be made at all.

Watch them suddenly remember Izzy and Steven's number when that happens. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I wonder what the reaction will be here when the "Ain't Goin Down (remastered) available for streaming" thread drops.

I would imagine this would be our collective sentiments....

giphy.gif

Edited by sofine11
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I wonder what the reaction will be here when the "Ain't Goin Down (remastered) available for streaming" thread drops.

I mean I would like to hear that. Would prefer it to be the old UYI version though and not a rerecorded one being passed off as old.

The only way we’re probably ever getting a new album is if Izzy comes back.

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I mean I would like to hear that. Would prefer it to be the old UYI version though and not a rerecorded one being passed off as old.

That song sounded way too unfinished. They’re gonna have to re-record it if they ever wanna put it out.

Edited by rocknroll41

So no new album(recording of shit like guitars, vocals, drums for new material) in existence? Is that where we're at right now? 

I love UYI, but it's the least that I need. If I wanted to hear the songs I got both albums already, I don't need a re-issue with hidden gems. Cool if they play UYI deeper cuts on the shows. BUT without new music, y'all are gonna be sick of them again by the 2nd leg. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

So no new album(recording of shit like guitars, vocals, drums for new material) in existence? Is that where we're at right now? 

No, where we're at is that the band records stuff and Axl hoards it for decades. The same place we've been at since 1996.

• Haha 2

Why do people keep up that mantra that an album will only emerge if Izzy becomes involved? I like the guy too, but let's be realistic:

He hasn't toured as a full time member since 1991.

They haven't been able to work it out between them to get him on board for NITL.

Ok he jammed with VR and wrote a bit, but even they couldn't get him on board as a permanent member or songwriter.

Whilst it's true that a lot of the early songs began as Izzy jams, it took the input of the whole AFD lineup to work them into the songs we know. They would have probably sounded a lot more Stones/Dylan esque (like his UYI stuff) than the turbo charged versions Slash turned them into on AFD. 

Izzy may have written a lot since leaving, but it's on a very different tip to how Slash, Duff and Axl have gone.

Axl is evidently a slow and cautious writer but Slash and Duff have put out tonnes of 'rawk' music, none of which necessitated Izzy's involvement. 

Is it realistic in any way to conclude that "all they need" is Izzy to suddenly become a full time dedicated writer with these people that he got tired of in 1991, and has only worked with since on a very limited basis since?

Much as I'd like his involvement on an album, I really doubt that will happen, or that it's the missing thing they need to write songs.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Why do people keep up that mantra that an album will only emerge if Izzy becomes involved? I like the guy too, but let's be realistic:

He hasn't toured as a full time member since 1991.

They haven't been able to work it out between them to get him on board for NITL.

Ok he jammed with VR and wrote a bit, but even they couldn't get him on board as a permanent member or songwriter.

Whilst it's true that a lot of the early songs began as Izzy jams, it took the input of the whole AFD lineup to work them into the songs we know. They would have probably sounded a lot more Stones/Dylan esque (like his UYI stuff) than the turbo charged versions Slash turned them into on AFD. 

Izzy may have written a lot since leaving, but it's on a very different tip to how Slash, Duff and Axl have gone.

Axl is evidently a slow and cautious writer but Slash and Duff have put out tonnes of 'rawk' music, none of which necessitated Izzy's involvement. 

Is it realistic in any way to conclude that "all they need" is Izzy to suddenly become a full time dedicated writer with these people that he got tired of in 1991, and has only worked with since on a very limited basis since?

Much as I'd like his involvement on an album, I really doubt that will happen, or that it's the missing thing they need to write songs.

In my opinion Izzy brought the "cool factor", the style, the foundation. Without his songwriting and general influence, the others appear to be a lot more tasteless and uncool than the AFD band as a unit. Proof: Everything they released after UYI.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

In my opinion Izzy brought the "cool factor", the style, the foundation. Without his songwriting and general influence, the others appear to be a lot more tasteless and uncool than the AFD band as a unit. Proof: Everything they released after UYI.

But this isn't a debate about how cool Izzy is

AFD flowed as an album more because they specifically chose it to follow that theme. Hence they kept November Rain off it etc

UYI is a mish mash of songs from each member, less cohesive than AFD but more diverse and varied in style

Edited by Nice Boy

14 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Even UYI itself is flawed. Izzy was involved in writing 10/12 of the AFD songs, and then on UYI he’s only credited on 12/30, and five of those are songs he sings himself (meaning they aren’t even really GnR songs, imo) and two others are just different versions of the same song (don’t cry).

Lately ive been starting to realize just how important Izzy really was. Shame it didn’t work out. I kinda wish we would’ve gotten one more album in between AFD and UYI (Lies doesn’t really count), with Izzy still writing the lion share of the music. Maybe then they wouldn’t have become a “one good album only” band in the eyes of the general public.

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Even UYI itself is flawed. Izzy was involved in writing 10/12 of the AFD songs, and then on UYI he’s only credited on 12/30, and five of those are songs he sings himself (meaning they aren’t even really GnR songs, imo) and two others are just different versions of the same song (don’t cry).

Lately ive been starting to realize just how important Izzy really was. Shame it didn’t work out. I kinda wish we would’ve gotten one more album in between AFD and UYI (Lies doesn’t really count), with Izzy still writing the lion share of the music. Maybe then they wouldn’t have become a “one good album only” band in the eyes of the general public.

All there hits on UYI and on Lies tell that they're more than a one-good-album-only band, even in the eyes of the general public.

To many of those people the UYI tracks are even more popular or more well known than the AFD songs.

Izzy was important and highly involved in writing most of GNRs hits. He was needed hor the fundamentals, but the GNR formular was more than that.

When was the last time he released an album? When was the last time he released a really inspired and good album? The guys proofed they're able to write good music on their own.

I say, it's not Izzy fault that there is no new album. No matter how you look at it, there's only one man preventing us from new music.

Beginns with A and ends with XL.

• Like 2

The last album of original material from Guns N' Roses featuring Slash is only 2 years apart from the fall of the Berlin wall.  That is more crazy than the chick that You're Crazy is about

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

The last album of original material from Guns N' Roses featuring Slash is only 2 years apart from the fall of the Berlin wall.  That is more crazy than the chick that You're Crazy is about

5 (five) US presidents since. Most of them with two terms.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

UYI he’s only credited on 12/30, and five of those are songs he sings himself (meaning they aren’t even really GnR songs, imo)

Edit: I can only count 4 songs sung by Izzy :

1. Dust n' Bones
  2. You Ain't the First
  3. Double Talkin' Jive
  4. 14 years

and Axl is very much present on all of them, is he not?

Which would be the 5th?

Edited by Chuzeville
being more precise

3 hours ago, Chuzeville said:

1. Dust n' Bones
  2. You Ain't the First
  3. Double Talkin' Jive
  4. 14 years

Which would be the 5th?

Axl played on all 4 of those songs dude. Albeit in a backing capacity.

4 hours ago, Chuzeville said:

1. Dust n' Bones
  2. You Ain't the First
  3. Double Talkin' Jive
  4. 14 years

Which would be the 5th?

Yeah you’re right it’s only those four. My bad. And yeah I know Axl is on all of them but idk I wish he was even more prominent on those songs then he is.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 2:31 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah you’re right it’s only those four. My bad. And yeah I know Axl is on all of them but idk I wish he was even more prominent on those songs then he is.

Double Talkin Jive, Dust and Bones and 14 Years as they are, belong to the very best the Illousions have to offer, imo.

• Like 4