The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

That was my point. At first, we should get at least some new songs, though. It’s like what I was saying here a few years ago about some future first single. 

But for most people this is a new song. Just because another version of this song leaked or was played live once, doesn't mean they don't consider this a new song, especially not as to what it is now. It's not like they already released it before.

27 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I understand the romantic notion of a band going into a studio together to record an album within several weeks, just like in the old days. But am I going to dismiss a song because it wasn't recorded within the same time frame or because it was written a long time ago? Nah. Especially not with this band, I'll take what I can get. UYI wasn't recorded or written that way either, from what I know there wasn't much of a unity going on. Izzy was sending in riffs through tapes, and they recorded most stuff separately. 

The issue isn't when it was written.. It was who it was written by and when it was recorded.  It was a song written when Axl was the only original member left.. Patched together tracks from different generations and band members that have never played together once sounds terrible.  The industrial influence sounds outdated as well. 

I think it is a terrible statement to release your first song is 30 years together and Slash and Duff have no creative input. I guess the quality of the song isn't a very good statement either..

• Like 1

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

The issue isn't when it was written.. It was who it was written by and when it was recorded.  It was a song written when Axl was the only original member left.. Patched together tracks from different generations and band members that have never played together once sounds terrible.  The industrial influence sounds outdated as well. 

I think it is a terrible statement to release your first song is 30 years together and Slash and Duff have no creative input. I guess the quality of the song isn't a very good statement either..

Well, that's your opinion and a lot of people have a different opinion and that's great.

As for it sounding outdated. I don't understand that. For all I care it sounds like something straight out of the 60's, as I've said before, if it sounds good, that's all that matters.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

As for it sounding outdated. I don't understand that. For all I care it sounds like something straight out of the 60's, as I've said before, if it sounds good, that's all that matters.

Good music doesn't sound outdated.. Good music is timeless

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, that would be great. As long as not too much of the old CD session material is discarded for good.

Absolutely. After all – and this may be too optimistic – Slash talked about this huge amount of material and how they could be releasing it successively. If the proportion is handled well, we could get to hear the better part of Axl’s NuGuns material (along with new songs). That is, unless they tour the shit out of every release, doing 5-year long triple world tours, with Axl eventually just whispering in the mic and Slash playing while lying on a couch, completely bored. Which is probably exactly what they’re gonna do. :lol:

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

But for most people this is a new song. Just because another version of this song leaked or was played live once, doesn't mean they don't consider this a new song, especially not as to what it is now. It's not like they already released it before.

My whole point was different, though. ;) Doesn't matter, I'm an idealist. 

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, metalavenger99 said:

Guys, to this date, the only versions of Zodiac are still the instrumental ones right? Or is it true that a version w/ vocals is out there? That song has to be in the new album, I was wondering if he is yet to do the vocals or if they are already recorded, and if so, was that leaked?

jose-mourinho-i-prefer-not-to-speak.gif

Edited by Axl S
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I'm wondering what exactly people wanting them to write new music would be expecting them to write about? They're like 60 and rich lol. It seems like a lot of people want an ACDC record from GNR. I think Axl could probably write some good stuff on his own but within the confines of what some fans are expecting what really is there? 

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

You’re right, but still, lots of these songs originated sort of… in a collaborative attempt. Nightrain, Paradise City… it was about them etc. 
Let me put it this way: if the reunion never happened and Axl still toured with the Nu guys, I wouldn’t give the slightest damn about what he’d put on the album, as long as there would be one. Even if they were 20-year old songs. More or less, it would be the same lineup, maybe with a different lead guitar. But this is different. I’m looking at it from a point of view of a person who’s been a fan since 1992 (although I do like NuGNR; after all, CD is a great album, even if it could have been better), and now the original guys are back together, so I wish for some real collaboration… Maybe I’m too romantic, yes. :)

Nothing wrong in wanting that, I perfectly get it :)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I'm wondering what exactly people wanting them to write new music would be expecting them to write about? They're like 60 and rich lol. It seems like a lot of people want an ACDC record from GNR. I think Axl could probably write some good stuff on his own but within the confines of what some fans are expecting what really is there? 

I see the point, but whenever a question of this type emerges - and it could actually encompass anything - I always say: how on Earth have the other bands managed then? (Insert your own names of choice.) This often applies to all these discussions about whether it's still worth releasing physical albums etc. It all sounds like excuses (we have the Stockholm syndrome anyway), and in such case, I always ask, how come the others somehow make it work, whatever it is... 

Edited by jamillos

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah. With the Village leaks we know, or I know, that there are some truly great instrumentals already existing. The basis of great songs. Add some magic from Slash, some magic from Duff, and vocals from Axl (if they don't have it already) and we are guaranteed songs I will really, really enjoy. Why would I then want them to go through an elaborate process of creating new songs together, knowing the chance of that resulting in the lineup breaking down, and with the likely outcome that a new album wouldn't see the light of days in many years and possible never?

Yeah, but also, Absurd gives a strong comeback feeling, that of a band that is not afraid to go its own ways and are not afraid to provoke and divide (even its own fans - as they have always done).

No offence, but this is not how songwriting works generally speaking. If somebody presented me a load of ideas that the old guitarist, who actually replaced me, had written a decade or more ago...  then is not necessarily going to lube up my creative juices. Sure it can work on a song or two. But asking somebody of Slash's reputation and calibre to simply noodle over somebody else's jams from 20 years is a bit naive. Again no offence meant. Also, though you might like the Village Session instrumental leaks, there's a chance Slash and Duff won't. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I see the point, but whenever a question of this type emerges, - and it could actually encompass anything - I always say: how on Earth have the other bands managed then? (Insert your own names of choice.) This often applies to all these discussions about whether it's still worth releasing physical albums etc. It all sounds like excuses (we have the Stockholm syndrome anyway), and in such case, I always ask, how come the others somehow make it work, whatever it is... 

I mean, a lot of these old bands that are "doing it" aren't really releasing compelling material in my opinion. It's fine, but I wouldn't really want that for GNR. If new GNR music sounded as generic and boring as recent Slash music I would be very disappointed. 

8 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I mean, a lot of these old bands that are "doing it" aren't really releasing compelling material in my opinion. It's fine, but I wouldn't really want that for GNR. If new GNR music sounded as generic and boring as recent Slash music I would be very disappointed. 

Sure, but what I had in mind was more like the major behemoth bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, you name it. But of course, this would lead to a discussion about the quality of their latest albums etc., and there’s no point. Let’s put it this way: when Axl wrote lyrics to all his CD stuff (released or not), he already was rich and all that, and yet the songs are fine IMO. I’m definitely not expecting another Nightrain or Out ta Get Me. Anyway, I trust him with this. It’ll be grand. Maybe a bit... absurd. (I'll see myself out.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

Axl released his last record when he was  in his mid 40’s and rich. A lot of the lyrical themes could’ve been written by a 21 year old guy who’s college girlfriend left him for a pre-med student. What exactly is your point?  

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl still seems passionate about stuff, like politics and social justice. I see no reason why this wouldn't inspire his lyrics. It might not be about drugs, sex and rock and roll, but that will only be a loss to those still mentally in their adolescence. 

Let’s keep some perspective here. Axl isn’t some refined person at this point. He still is who he always has been. He just released a song for the first time in over a decade and it prominently features the lyric “Pussy full of maggots.”  Not that there’s anything necessarily wrong with that, but let’s be real. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl still seems passionate about stuff, like politics and social justice. I see no reason why this wouldn't inspire his lyrics. It might not be about drugs, sex and rock and roll, but that will only be a loss to those still mentally in their adolescence. 

That's true, would be interesting I guess, although as you said certain people would have a meltdown lol.

6 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

That's true, would be interesting I guess, although as you said certain people would have a meltdown lol.

I would LOVE it if he came out with some new songs.

Listening to Zodiac right now and it would be great if that's finished.  D-Tune is very similar in places so I can't really see them both being completed.

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Also, I don't think the band will be able to write and record 12-14 entirely new songs and have they released in my life time.

Lets be honest, the band wouldn't be the problem but they don't have to. Use some of those existing songs and pimp them the way they did with Absurd. Let Slash and Duff have some creative input themselves by writing some new tunes. If they use old Axl vocals on this new tunes or completely new (which is not very likely and seems rather impossible in Axl-time) is up to them. If Axl was able to create something new that's good enough and has recorded it in the meantime I would be even more happy but the main point is that the result is worth the waiting. Absurd wasn't exactly what I was waiting for...

8 hours ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

No vocals version has been leaked yet. Would love that track, dummy and tonto with vocals on the next album... They are rockers! 

Well I found one that was called Zodiac and had vocals, dont know if It is some other song then, but I have that.

Certainly would be cool to get something all new, but if they have digged Hard School and especially Silkworms It means that every goddamn old track is in play as there are far superior ones than those too there. I dont mind, I just want to hear Axls vault in high quality - from what I found only Going Down and Atlas Sheugged seemed totally ready Mix wise etc

And Yes - No Love Remains rules

Edited by Teroz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Apparently Axl's priority is to get the CD stuff out. I'm okay with that, if it's good. And it's definitely good that they'll finally release something, whatever that is.

I would be fine with an album of six CD II songs and six songs with new material. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teroz said:

Well I found one that was called Zodiac and had vocals, dont know if It is some other song then, but I have that.

Certainly would be cool to get something all new, but if they have digged Hard School and especially Silkworms It means that every goddamn old track is in play as there are far superior ones than those too there. I dont mind, I just want to hear Axls vault in high quality - from what I found only Going Down and Atlas Sheugged seemed totally ready Mix wise etc

And Yes - No Love Remains rules

Perhaps is pretty much complete too