The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

What’s even left from the ChiDem sessions that has vocals? State of Grace, Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps, The General, Soul Monster… Is that it?

Im not counting stuff like Going, Save Me, Down By the Ocean, Tooth Puller, etc. cause there’s no way any of that shit is ever coming out.

Im also not counting Quick Song cause that’s just gibberish. And then there’s Nothing, but is that even really a song?

OMG, HardSkool and Absurd are all already out there, and Eye On You got folded into HardSkool, so no need to count those either.

And I know it’s likely that Berlin, Zodiac and Cuban Skies all have vocals too, but we don’t know for sure, so might as well leave them out too (for now).

So if the five songs mentioned at the top are really all that’s left in regards to full Axl vocals/lyrics, then it may be best to continue with the one-off singles approach.

Edited by rocknroll41

I think once these shows wrap up it’s going to be pretty much quiet for GNR until shows resume next summer, other than the HS single physical releases getting mailed out in Feb.

Not bitching, just guessing that’s how things are going to play out from here. 

• Like 3

Either these two singles were building toward the album they’ve been talking about for 3 years now, or they’re not. Unless they’re gracing us with a surprise release, that does not seem to be the case. If they haven’t decided to do that now, I can’t see the spirit moving them/Axl/whoever any time in the foreseeable future. 

Maybe they’ll do something similar next year when they’re back on the road, as in release a single or two, but again, if this hasn’t meant an album is coming, I just don’t see it. 

Edited by sofine11

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

What’s even left from the ChiDem sessions that has vocals? State of Grace, Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps, The General, Soul Monster… Is that it?

Im not counting stuff like Going, Save Me, Down By the Ocean, Tooth Puller, etc. cause there’s no way any of that shit is ever coming out.

Im also not counting Quick Song cause that’s just gibberish. And then there’s Nothing, but is that even really a song?

OMG, HardSkool and Absurd are all already out there, and Eye On You got folded into HardSkool, so no need to count those either.

And I know it’s likely that Berlin, Zodiac and Cuban Skies all have vocals too, but we don’t know for sure, so might as well leave them out too (for now).

So if the five songs mentioned at the top are really all that’s left in regards to full Axl vocals/lyrics, then it may be best to continue with the one-off singles approach.

I like Chinese Democracy but the best thing that could've happened to the album was a later release in some form like the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson's Smile. Obviously the record label and Axl couldn't agree and it came out as it did, but it was simultaneously both unfinished and overcooked because Rose is not a natural compromiser. There may be sessions we haven't heard that happened later in Nu GnR.

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm
  • Like 1

Can everyone stop referring to Axl as Rose🤣 Every time someone does this should get warning points added to their profile!

Also.... 11yrs isn't long enough of a wait?? or 17yrs depending on your count🤣

5 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I like Chinese Democracy but the best thing that could've happened to the album was a later release in some form like the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson's Smile. Obviously the record label and Axl couldn't agree and it came out as it did, but it was simultaneously both unfinished and overcooked because Rose is not a natural compromiser. There may be sessions we haven't heard that happened later in Nu GnR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Biggest clue for any other song they may release and to be honest the only clue i would trust is if something crops up on a set list as an alt

Which is sort of why I could see something releasing in December. No tour dates were ever planned for then - therefore no need to include it on a setlist as an alt or ever soundcheck it on this leg of the tour. Only songs on the setlist that were new are the ones they released on this leg. 

They clearly like to release with little to no notice, no reason they couldn't do that again later this year. Difference is, with no setlists and soundchecks we have no way to see it coming at all.

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Can everyone stop referring to Axl as Rose🤣 Every time someone does this should get warning points added to their profile!

Also.... 11yrs isn't long enough of a wait?? or 17yrs depending on your count🤣

I also referred to him as Axl? What's the big fucking deal?

Basically it either needed to come out around the turn of the millennium when the public might have been fair about it and it would've been less overdone or it would have done best as a lost opus/curio depending on how you take it. By that I mean if it was to stand any chance with the public.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:29 AM, wreckless said:

According to some "insiders", like msl & brasky, the new album is already done with new vocals, recorded in 2019.

I dont know if its legit, but msl has proven to be right in the past.

This didn't pan out, Hard Skool vocals sound like they were added to the 2019 instrumental, but originally recorded in the tardis in 1999. 

3 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Ha! I LOL'd. However ... perhaps the finished record never had "Hard School" and "Silkworms" on it, and they pivoted and just reworked these songs to get something out while delaying a record.

Plans changed, gotcha ;)

Releasing songs nearing the end of tour leg seems odd, so who knows. Just happy we got something!

Edited by Coma16

Maybe they delay the new record because of the lack of physical pressings. Or they might release some CD leftovers as singles first and then come up with a record full of new material like somebody mentioned earlier. Probably they decided against a full album and go with only single releases, who knows? With this band everything is possible, so I tend to expect the worst. New album? Not in this decade...

12 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe they delay the new record because of the lack of physical pressings. Or they might release some CD leftovers as singles first and then come up with a record full of new material like somebody mentioned earlier. Probably they decided against a full album and go with only single releases, who knows? With this band everything is possible, so I tend to expect the worst. New album? Not in this decade...

At this point a surprise digital album release before the end of this year is probably the only way an album happens on at all, this year or ever.  They’re finally releasing music. Either it means a record is coming legitimately “soon” or they’re just throwing us a bone with this upcoming EP thing. Better than nothing, for sure, but nothing beats an album release, however unlikely. 

25 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Plans changed, gotcha ;)

Releasing songs nearing the end of tour leg seems odd, so who knows. Just happy we got something!

Of course plans change.  

They have to when Rose never completes the intended work.

Do you actually think the plan was to reunite and release 21 year old demos?

Of course not.

That's what they've had to resort to, when YET AGAIN, the front-man can't write lyrics or record vocals.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I also referred to him as Axl? What's the big fucking deal?

Basically it either needed to come out around the turn of the millennium when the public might have been fair about it and it would've been less overdone or it would have done best as a lost opus/curio depending on how you take it. By that I mean if it was to stand any chance with the public.

I think I covered my position on saying Rose, but basically it sounds like some shitty journalist or lawyer talk.... we're on a fan forum🤣

people will debate this forever, but there was plenty of times to release it and for me the best time was 2006, but there would have been no time where the public would have wrapped their arms around the album. Especially not if he released the album as it was back in 1999/00 when it was even more synth heavy. I think the release in 2008 was bungled but the people that liked it are about the same as the people who would have liked it if it was released 10yrs earlier, and if it came out 10yrs from now it would still be compared to AFD/UYI and face all the talk and then it would be "and this took 30yrs??".

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think it's possible that an album could come out in Dec in addition to the EP, with vinyl available in Feb.

Possible, yes! likely? no.. but I'd love it happened. I think the single releases have proven that the interest levels are a little low, despite the constant speculation. I mean they need to promote this music. They firmly believe their brand is so big that it needs no extra push to get attention. True, they get attention easily! but Hard Skool has yet to crack 1million on youtube for a band with as much mass appeal as GNR that's disappointing. I can't help but think that number could have been bumped considerably (extra 500k) with even a live performance from one of the current shows that getting streamed to Kimmel or whatever show. Only downside of that is that Axl would need to be on form and you just cannot guarantee he'll be good! especially when the cameras are on. 

My hope is that these new singles put some fire under Axl to continue to release music semi-regularly. The two singles prove that it does not have to be a huge ordeal. 

46 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

but Hard Skool has yet to crack 1million on youtube for a band with as much mass appeal as GNR that's disappointing. I can't help but think that number could have been bumped considerably (extra 500k) with even a live performance from one of the current shows that getting streamed to Kimmel or whatever show. Only downside of that is that Axl would need to be on form and you just cannot guarantee he'll be good! especially when the cameras are on. 

Yeah, I don't see how anyone thinking Axl singing Hardschool on a late show would be good advertisement.. Those kind of performances are about as honest as you can get... 

• Haha 2