The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

The idea that the band would all sit in a room together and write songs like they did occasionally in the 80s, is unlikely. People who don't spend time together can't be expected to write songs together that way. And the idea that Axl would come down to rehearsals to work our brand new songs seems highly unlikely to me. Even in the 90s, Axl and Slash worked separately. Axl brought in songs that Slash got to add his stamp to, and the other way around. It is the same thing now, only that all the songs are from Axl.

Some fans also object to the songs being old and that it doesn't work when Slash add guitar tracks to older songs. But this is also not new to GN'R. Some of the songs off Appetite and Lies were Hollywood Rose songs that Slash (and Duff) added their input to, and reworked. Many songs on UYIs were old, too, and some were again Axl songs that Slash and Duff got to rework.

That this is the approach now, too, especially considering that Axl has all these songs that obviously means a lot to him, shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Not even those who really like these songs?!?

You are a joke...

I don't understand your resistance to Pele's position. He's just telling you how it is. In his head. You're being offered information from an insider. Seems kinda ungrateful tbh.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I don't understand your resistance to Pele's position. He's just telling you how it is. In his head. You're being offered information from an insider. Seems kinda ungrateful tbh.

You are right, I should thank Pele for telling me that I am wrong for liking songs that he don't like.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

The idea that the band would all sit in a room together and write songs like they did occasionally in the 80s, is unlikely. People who don't spend time together can't be expected to write songs together that way. And the idea that Axl would come down to rehearsals to work our brand new songs seems highly unlikely to me. Even in the 90s, Axl and Slash worked separately. Axl brought in songs that Slash got to add his stamp to, and the other way around. It is the same thing now, only that all the songs are from Axl.

Some fans also object to the songs being old and that it doesn't work when Slash add guitar tracks to older songs. But this is also not new to GN'R. Some of the songs off Appetite and Lies were Hollywood Rose songs that Slash (and Duff) added their input to, and reworked. Many songs on UYIs were old, too, and some were again Axl songs that Slash and Duff got to rework.

That this is the approach now, too, especially considering that Axl has all these songs that obviously means a lot to him, shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. 

And that’s indeed the key word: SOME. They did it with some songs, and they did it a different way with some other songs. Again, not expecting an all-new album, but it needs to have at least some new music from this actual factual living band, plus Axl’s older material, of course. It doesn’t need to – it shouldn’t – be just black or white. As for sitting in one room together, why couldn’t they do it via phones etc. Anyway, dozens of other bands do it (see various rehearsals/studio jams on YT), so again, why should it be a problem for this band? Adjustment, compromise, agreement. 
Improvise, adapt, overcome. ;) 

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

And that’s indeed the key word: SOME. They did it with some songs, and they did it a different way with some other songs. Again, not expecting an all-new album, but it needs to have at least some new music from this actual factual living band, plus Axl’s older material, of course. It doesn’t need to – it shouldn’t – be just black or white. As for sitting in one room together, why couldn’t they do it via phones etc. Anyway, dozens of other bands do it (see various rehearsals/studio jams on YT), so again, why should it be a problem for this band? Adjustment, compromise, agreement. 
Improvise, adapt, overcome. ;) 

Of course they can make an album with new music - my post was about why it is unlikely they are going to get together in the same room to write new songs. Axl hasn't made music that way since the 80s. It is unlikely it will happen now.

Why Axl won't write a new song with Slash and Duff over Teams or Zoom? Because he doesn't work that way, either, I would guess. If he don't want to come into a room to work out music it is probably even less likely he will get engaged to work out new songs using remote tools.

Of course he could add vocal melodies and lyrics to songs sent him by Slash and Duff, but based on what Slash said, it seems more likely Axl want to focus on getting the unreleased GN'R songs from the CD sessions out rather then starting the gargantuan prospect of creating entirely new music. I kind of think we should be happy about that, because it means we are actually getting music instead of just getting dreams of music.

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course they can make an album with new music - my post was about why it is unlikely they are going to get together in the same room to write new songs. Axl hasn't made music that way since the 80s. It is unlikely it will happen now.

Why Axl won't write a new song with Slash and Duff over Teams or Zoom? Because he doesn't work that way, either, I would guess. If he don't want to come into a room to work out music it is probably even less likely he will get engaged to work out new songs using remote tools.

Of course he could add vocal melodies and lyrics to songs sent him by Slash and Duff, but based on what Slash said, it seems more likely Axl want to focus on getting the unreleased GN'R songs from the CD sessions out rather then starting the gargantuan prospect of creating entirely new music. I kind of think we should be happy about that, because it means we are actually getting music instead of just getting dreams of music.

yeah the price of brand new material is waiting longer. Much longer probably. This way we're getting an album soon. (hopefully)

if this is the pace for old material to be released, it's frightening to think how long Axl will take to finish a brand new album. We've already waited for a long time. Not that Axl ever gave an actual release date for CD ll.

I just can't expect Axl to conduct himself as someone else, it leads to disappointment. By now, I'm sure he knows what he wants to do and there is no way in hell he'll change his approach imo, unless it serves his goals. Right now I think it's pretty safe to say the goal is to release material from the Chinese era, at least mainly and my guess is he'll want to support it with a tour. This cycle can take years.

I think that if Axl wants to work on something, he calls Slash and Slash brings his guitar or like he did with Pitman and they worked on Madagascar for example. I don't think he limits himself to a consistent approach anymore cause that could maybe be looked at as a waste of time by him and with all the shitload of material he accumulated according to Dizzy, Duff, and Slash maybe he's not in a hurry to dive deep into the classic process of creating a new album, not sure he will do that just for the sake of making it a shared vision especially when he only released half or less than half of what he maybe wanted to release.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No doubt about that. I just think, when I remember that e.g. they met in Axl’s studio a few years back, that we’re sort of stuck in this routine of what we think is possible and what is not, just based on what we are used to and based on the everyday non-existence of any public proof of anything happening. But times, they are a changin’. Plus, throwing in a couple of new songs they may have created one way or the other during the past downtimes wouldn’t be such a gigantically laborious thing to do imo. Again, if they still got it, they can make it. And they should show it. Otherwise, as glad as I'd obviously be for any released music, it would be yet another chapter/tour of things made long ago. We also need a couple of "hey, we're gonna play something brand new here, we wrote this last year and it's called...", you know? Like with some of the old Guns stuff.
And sure, I don’t expect another Hell House, as cool as it sounds!

Is it odd that I can type in GNR Perhaps and GNR State of Grace on google and listen to those songs as the top result and it’s been that way for at least a year or more…how does that work? I wish I could do that with Atlas Shrugged as well but all I find is a cover. Not sure what exactly is the deal with all of that. 

15 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Scraped is not my favourite, but Shacklers and If The World are great and I don't care if most GNR fans hate both😄

Shacklers is the best song on CD. It's a shame more didn't come from Axl/Bucket's collaborations, but I suppose they really are polar opposites when it comes to being productive. Buckethead's put out 258 albums and Axl has put out what... the dog to take a piss?

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

Pele is the type of person who thinks he knows what color of underwear you're wearing right now. And would claim it like he really knows shit. 

He would probably think they were from 1999 too. :P

38 minutes ago, IkaruFunk said:

I bet they are black and made in 1999!

Beat me to it! Haha

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Shacklers is the best song on CD. It's a shame more didn't come from Axl/Bucket's collaborations, but I suppose they really are polar opposites when it comes to being productive. Buckethead's put out 258 albums and Axl has put out what... the dog to take a piss?

Interesting. I find it the worst song on the album and with the exception of My World and maybe Absurd, one of the worst in the band's catalog. I find the chorus unlistenable, Axl's ultra-processed voice doesn't help much. One of the very few GN'R songs I really don't like and never listen to.

I really like If The World on the other hand.

1 hour ago, martinb33 said:

Interesting. I find it the worst song on the album and with the exception of My World and maybe Absurd, one of the worst in the band's catalog. I find the chorus unlistenable, Axl's ultra-processed voice doesn't help much. One of the very few GN'R songs I really don't like and never listen to.

I really like If The World on the other hand.

Absurd isn't as worse as Shacklers.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:46 PM, Pele said:

Agree with all of that except the opening line.

He has always been a cheesy, cringy, edgelord - capable of ruining songs with some utter shit he finds funny.

• I dont vant to do eet
  • I see you standing there, you think you're soooooo cool
  • Had a plan and thought they'd win, but I dont give a fuck 'bout them, cause I am crazy!!!!!!!
  • Whatever the shit at the end of Breakdown was
  • Stupid Michael Jackson noises everywhere
  • Sex noises in Rocket Queen
  • shouting "with your ass in the air!!!" in YCBM

You’re not a GNR fan, right?

• Like 4

On 11/11/2021 at 8:46 AM, Pele said:

Agree with all of that except the opening line.

He has always been a cheesy, cringy, edgelord - capable of ruining songs with some utter shit he finds funny.

• I dont vant to do eet
  • I see you standing there, you think you're soooooo cool
  • Had a plan and thought they'd win, but I dont give a fuck 'bout them, cause I am crazy!!!!!!!
  • Whatever the shit at the end of Breakdown was
  • Stupid Michael Jackson noises everywhere
  • Sex noises in Rocket Queen
  • shouting "with your ass in the air!!!" in YCBM

You need to stop with this bullshit. Preferably now. This is a forum for people who enjoy & respect Guns N' Roses and their music, and if you're going to sit here and complain about how Axl is a cringe songwriter, then you have no place here. 

• Like 4