The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But there aren't 433 million who search for "cuban skies". 

The purpose of Spotify suggesting music to people based on their listening preferences (or searching preferences) is to make sure that they only suggest an artist if a substantial volume of everybody who searched for a term enjoy the same music (then that music can be suggested to everybody who searches for that term). And it wouldn't take many searches by us to comprise a substantial fraction of everybody who searches for "cuban skies". It would take A LOT of searches by us to affect artist suggestions based on songs like Paradise City, Back in Black, Hey Jude, etc, where weekly searches are likely in the thousands.

And it isn't a weakness of the search algorithm if it can take as little as a few dozen searches to affect the artist suggestions, if the total number of searches for this term is not much more. It isn't the absolute number of searches that matter, but the proportion. And if a large proportion of everybody who searches for a specific song, likes the same music, then the algorithm behaves as intended if it suggests this music to all who searches for that term.

As for State of Grace, I don't know. Maybe it wasn't even the first song where the threshold was reached, just the first song where we realized Spotify was now suggesting GN'R as an artist. Or maybe more fans are like me and prefer State of Grace over Atlas and Shrugged. I don't know.

Again, I am not sure what the explanation is. But I am pretty sure that GN'R has not submitted Thyme, Ballad of Death, and many other songs for release on a new album. There are too many songs, too unlikely songs, and they all have the names they had back in 2001. It is just highly implausible. It is much more likely that this is just Spotify picking up on our listening habits. It is definitely not a perfect theory at all, but in my opinion vastly more likely than all of these songs being about to be released.  

Ok so let’s say this was a Taylor Swift message board. And let’s say that we all had Spotify accounts and listened to Taylor Swift a lot. And let’s say we all started searching for 11 random song titles of songs that don’t exist. Then according to the logic of the algorithm theory those songs should start to bring Taylor Swift to the top of our search results regardless of their existence based on our habits of listening to and liking a lot of Taylor Swift. If this was the case then Spotify has the shittiest algorithm of all time. Because what should happen is it should bring up the most relative search result regardless of of listening habits. Can you imagine if google worked this way- if I typed in The General on google and it brought up Guns N Roses first vs all the other possible results just because I search for Guns N Roses a lot we would think Google was completely useless. 

Also almost all the songs on CD ended up with same titles in 2008 as they were in 2001. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I agree with the algorithm theory for the most part now, however I do maintain “Red Panda” should show up with GNR eventually if “State of Grace” does. State of Grace is from one of the biggest artists of all time, Taylor Swift, who probably has as many or more listeners than the Disney album.

12 minutes ago, DuffBrazil said:

Forgetting the spotify algorithm this really is spot on. Listen to this guy everybody!

This thread is going to reach 1000 pages and we will get nowhere with it. We cannot understand the algorithm 100%, there's never enough evidence for you guys.

You wanna believe it so much, that you do not listen to reason!!!

I wish we had a new album in the works, I have hope... But this spotify thing is not it.

Yeah just think, a simple few words from the band’s manager would either confirm or deny all this senseless speculation.

Guns N’ Roses fans have to be the most new music starved fans on the planet. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Another huge point for the Algorithim theory. Searches/Google associations directly correlate for Taylor Swift. Unless she geniunely is naming the first track on the album Track One.

1EF4E222-F40A-421C-B33F-7682EEBE2575.jpeg

BBAD4774-999A-4DA1-B566-47CDF1B8B363.jpeg

That's a good point for the algorithm theory, but if It correlates searched from Google, I don't know why we don't find these tracks earlier like 2019 or last year when Hardskool was dropped.

Well maybe now It is over, It was fun while It lasted😁

13 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Another huge point for the Algorithim theory. Searches/Google associations directly correlate for Taylor Swift. Unless she geniunely is naming the first track on the album Track One.

1EF4E222-F40A-421C-B33F-7682EEBE2575.jpeg

BBAD4774-999A-4DA1-B566-47CDF1B8B363.jpeg

What about Slipknot? They have an album coming Friday.

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

Ok so let’s say this was a Taylor Swift message board. And let’s say that we all had Spotify accounts and listened to Taylor Swift a lot. And let’s say we all started searching for 11 random song titles of songs that don’t exist. Then according to the logic of the algorithm theory those songs should start to bring Taylor Swift to the top of our search results regardless of their existence based on our habits of listening to and liking a lot of Taylor Swift. If this was the case then Spotify has the shittiest algorithm of all time.

It would only be shitty if this was an actual and not just a hypothetical problem that reduced the usefulness of the search function. I mean, yes, we can conjure various ways such an algorithm could be misused...but how likely is it that it happens? And then you have to weigh in the amount of cases where it actually does result in some clever suggestions, like when a bunch of GN'R fans trains the system to correlate "state of grace" with "guns n' roses" despite this not even being a song found on Spotify (yet).

I’ve just set up a new Spotify account with a new email address here in the UK. None of the songs are bringing up GnR. It has to be algorithm 

edit - sorry if I type in lower case GnR appears

This is so fucked 

Edited by gavgnr
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I agree with the algorithm theory for the most part now, however I do maintain “Red Panda” should show up with GNR eventually if “State of Grace” does. State of Grace is from one of the biggest artists of all time, Taylor Swift, who probably has as many or more listeners than the Disney album.

It isn't about who is the biggest artist but the number of searches for a song, and it could easily be the case that not many Taylor Swift fans actually search for "state of grace" if it isn't one of her biggest hits (people tend to only search for specific songs they want to listen to our entire albums, not the less-liked songs). I am just speculating here, for all I know, Swift's "State of Grace" can be a megahit. 

Besides, it is not like the algorithm has fucked up this song for Taylor Swift, when I search for "state of grace", her song is still listed, just that so is Guns N' Roses. And again, that seems like a mighty fine search result and is indicative of an algorithm that is kind of smart and not fucked. 

This year is pretty much set in stone. We got a fairly new EP last year that the band is still touring off of, and we have the coming Illusions release. 

I believe next year the band will start to begin seriously considering the possibility of at some point releasing more EP’s. 

• GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

This year is pretty much set in stone. We got a fairly new EP last year that the band is still touring off of, and we have the coming Illusions release. 

I believe next year the band will start to begin seriously considering the possibility of at some point releasing more EP’s. 

Yes, they are seriously looking into it, and discussing it at the next 3 hour meeting. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1