The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

who decides when to release a song that was submitted to the label though? if the label/record company makes that decision, why would they wait to release it when there is no chance of it taking the world by storm/make money directly? the band is on tour, surely it would be more sensible to release it now.

I was under the impression that Axl has the final say on when to release it but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe the label let GNR have their way with Absurd/HardSkool and now they've looked at the numbers and impact and decided that it would be a fruitless endeavour releasing more music in the same way. Only thing I can think of is the label coming up with ideas for marketing etc. to improve the awareness once the songs are released (interviews, videos) and 'someone' within the band / management is disagreeing with the method so things are at a standstill. 

Having said that, it's just as possible GNR drop another single tomorrow and there is no tension with the label and band. I firmly believe the label is more than eager to release anything with GNR. I just don't think anybody with any business sense would be happy releasing more material and letting it crash and burn when there's so much potential for at least small levels of radio play and a much wider level of streaming across platforms.

5 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

What's the last predictions of when the two songs Slash mentioned will see the light of day? 

It was supposed to be around the time they hit the road. Not impossible they get released before the wrap of this tour but also a little unlikely. 

Whatever they release had better be head and shoulders above the two D+ songs from last year though

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It was supposed to be around the time they hit the road. Not impossible they get released before the wrap of this tour but also a little unlikely. 

Whatever they release had better be head and shoulders above the two D+ songs from last year though

Herein lies the problem, there aren’t any A rate songs in the pool of songs that have been “completed”. I think HS was released as the sole catchy rocker tune that ultimately didn’t catch on. There aren’t any “big guns” left, certainly there are no tracks that would move the needle in 2022. 

3 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Herein lies the problem, there aren’t any A rate songs in the pool of songs that have been “completed”. I think HS was released as the sole catchy rocker tune that ultimately didn’t catch on. There aren’t any “big guns” left, certainly there are no tracks that would move the needle in 2022. 

I think Perhaps and Atlas might do more for GNR then people think. When my Dad thinks of the band he thinks about November Rain and some of the UYI “epics”, in addition to AFD. Now that they got a rocker out, a ballad like Atlas might go over pretty well with a broad casual fan base, but nothing GNR will release will ever be a #1 hit again.

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

a ballad like Atlas might go over pretty well with a broad casual fan base, but nothing GNR will release will ever be a #1 hit again.

I think something like Catcher or maybe Prostitute would've worked well if this lineup released it, but Atlas just seems like a b-side. It's bland.

It's totally possible that the current version is better than the village demo (maybe it was improved over time, like TWAT) but I can't imagine the decades of tinkering have improved the song that much.

Perhaps has better potential to reach casual fans IMO, but it needs a 2nd verse...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think something like Catcher or maybe Prostitute would've worked well if this lineup released it, but Atlas just seems like a b-side. It's bland.

It's totally possible that the current version is better than the village demo (maybe it was improved over time, like TWAT) but I can't imagine the decades of tinkering have improved the song that much.

Perhaps has better potential to reach casual fans IMO, but it needs a 2nd verse...

Axl doesn’t have any cutesy songs like Chili Peppers, the bar is set very very high for GNR. Perhaps might reach more people but you can’t have an album full of B sides and expect to have any traction from it. Hence the situation we have been in for awhile. 

12 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I’m hoping with Atlas, since it’s been worked on by 100 people and described in grandiose ways has been worked on and structured differently since 99, my hope for it is Atlas is as good as everyone says and that the demo was just really weak, because I agree the Atlas demo itself wouldn’t be a success.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Slash said that the rest of the songs that have been recorded and are to be released are "more complex." I don't think Perhaps fits this description (unless there's a later version of it with more sections added).

Hopefully that rules out OMG re-release since OMG is fairly simple, somewhere similiar to HS. More complex could mean The General, or a reworked Atlas and Perhaps, beyond that who knows unless there’s some stuff worked on beyond 99.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokingarthur said:

The catchiest track on the village leak was state of grace, and it was unfinished... Everything after that was a bit meh, some good ideas but to me they were half cooked. I don't think the village leak is the entirety of Axls CD vault though. I definitely won't be saying anything definite of what isn't there, I will say the leaks were not A+ material though, but that's not to say there isn't something else worth releasing. 

Pity Slash and Duff traded in their spines, they should be saying "these songs aren't good enough" but they just want to keep the juggernaut on the road without any unnecessary tensions.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The catchiest track on the village leak was state of grace, and it was unfinished... Everything after that was a bit meh, some good ideas but to me they were half cooked. I don't think the village leak is the entirety of Axls CD vault though. I definitely won't be saying anything definite of what isn't there, I will say the leaks were not A+ material though, but that's not to say there isn't something else worth releasing. 

Pity Slash and Duff traded in their spines, they should be saying "these songs aren't good enough" but they just want to keep the juggernaut on the road without any unnecessary tensions.

I bet there is some ongoing tension here and there but it’s quickly subdued when Slash and Duff check their bank accounts.

• Like 1

There are Pele's disciples I see. They used over 10 studios; we've heard stuff from one of them. Tommy said Axl worked on something each and every year. That doesn't sound the same way as just two or three acceptable unfinished songs from the Village leaks to choose from...

Also, I think it would be a good time now or around the Hannover show to release "the new single". There's gonna be a break, and we'll have time to take it in before they eventually play it live later. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

even if Slash and Duff actually think the songs aren't good enough and they would have told that much to Axl, what would've been his reply? "really? shit! let's scrap this whole Chinese Democracy nonesense and start from scratch!"

doesn't sound like Axl to me. Instead, I think it's more likely he would have released nothing or kept releasing Chinese tunes without rerecording the guitar and bass with Slash and Duff. He said in the China Exchange interview that if they wanted to be a part of it, cool. That tells me he had no intention of abandoning the material he likes from the "vault".

Edited by Rovim

The thing with Axl is he’s somewhat consistent in what he says, he just moves at most likely the slowest pace imaginable. I think there was an interview in 2013 where he said they wanted to release Silkworms as the next single.

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash said that the rest of the songs that have been recorded and are to be released are "more complex." I don't think Perhaps fits this description (unless there's a later version of it with more sections added).

I don't think that comment should be taken too seriously. He said: "maybe a little bit more complex". So there's the words MAYBE and LITLLE BIT. So it's probably better to not expect anything super complex. Perhaps could easily be one of the songs.

18 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I don't think that comment should be taken too seriously. He said: "maybe a little bit more complex". So there's the words MAYBE and LITLLE BIT. So it's probably better to not expect anything super complex. Perhaps could easily be one of the songs.

Absolutely. And so could State of Grace. I still hope there'll be some new stuff coming along the way as well. Not just Axl's old demos but also original material created by these guys. People seem to think it's impossible or useless (!) in case of GNR (and GNR only) or that expecting new songs equals expecting an all-new album without any of the CD era demos. No, that's just extremistic thinking. I hope for a nice amalgam. 

Edited by jamillos

4 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

it could be that some of the material is more complex in relation to Absurd and HS. My guess is that maybe Slash found some of the more intricate material more interesting cause he was quick to point out that the simpler shit was also cool (Absurd and HS)

and Slash doesn't decide which tunes will be released or in what order. Also, every person has their own style of expressing themselves and Slash seems to always be diplomatic and especially careful when it comes to Axl/unreleased Gn'R material so I think it's safe to say that some of it is, in fact, more complex musically compared to the 2 tracks we got so far.

Edited by Rovim

8 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

Aqui está o problema, não há nenhuma música de classificação A no conjunto de músicas que foram “concluídas”. Eu acho que HS foi lançado como a única música roqueira cativante que acabou não pegando. Não há “grandes armas” restantes, certamente não há faixas que moveriam a agulha em 2022. 

Oklahoma is a rock n roll song Man, great Riff, Quicksong too

Edited by TheSlashrose