The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

RHCP is quite absurd in some markets too, but not that bad. Do yourselves a favour people and go see Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds or Violent Femmes, or any other similarly talented band who don't rip their fans off instead.

I paid $30 to see Dirty Honey about a month ago and it was the best show I've seen in a long time.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

They don’t owe me shit. I can still be frustrated that my favorite band won’t release decades-old, finished songs, and instead would rather promote toy trucks and overpriced, low-effort box sets of records from the ‘80s. Clearly, there’s no new GNR music due to one person.

Of course you can feel frustrated. I didn't say you can't or shouldn't. It was your comment that there can't be any justifiable reason for the low output, that I reacted to. There could be many reasons and they don't have to justify themselves to anyone, including us. 

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I paid $30 to see Dirty Honey about a month ago and it was the best show I've seen in a long time.

Tommy Stinson is playing Chicago for $22 (after fees). I’ve seen great sets from artists like Angel Du$t, Turnstile … Riot Fest tickets used to be $150 and I saw a shit ton of great artists up close (Father John Misty, Bleachers, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, etc). 

• Like 2

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Of course you can feel frustrated. I didn't say you can't or shouldn't. It was your comment that there can't be any justifiable reason for the low output, that I reacted to. There could be many reasons and they don't have to justify themselves to anyone, including us. 

Well, see, then why don’t they just say that then instead of beating around the bush? Let me guess: they don’t owe us an explanation for that either, huh? It’d be better if they simply said, “We enjoy touring and making gobs of money. We don’t intend to get in a studio together.” 

The fact Slash and Duff are prolific songwriters and tirelessly promote their own projects is a clear indication they enjoy communicating to their fans in that regard. The radio silence in GNR is because of Axl. They can’t force him to want to write. Which is fine.  They should just say they’re a touring act and we can stop Spotify conspiracy threads. This band went from mysterious and cool to lame as fuck. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Well, see, then why don’t they just say that then instead of beating around the bush? Let me guess: they don’t owe us an explanation for that either, huh? It’d be better if they simply said, “We enjoy touring and making gobs of money. We don’t intend to get in a studio together.” 

I couldn't agree more. But obviously Axl doesn't want to inform us of his plans and that is his prerogative. 

People seem to get kind of irritated with me when I say this but I genuinely think Axl doesn’t like writing new music or really care that much about it moving forward. It’s very clear to me that he prefers being a performer and doesn’t have that music writing drive anymore. New music might and probably will still happen at some point in the form of the CDII tracks but we’re ultimately lucky to get whatever Axl feels like signing off on at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't see that Axl has changed. He was always very particular about certain aspects of his art, occasionally perplexingly so, yet not so much on other things. 

Well, it doesn't surprise me that you don't agree but the truth is he changed. I don't know how much a perfectionist he was back than but considering the books I read he seemed very focused on the songs he worked on. NR for example with all the synth orchestra he added. It took a lot of time but he worked hard and he finished songs.

And that's where he changed. He released songs on a regular basis and now he dont. Oh  My God, CD as a whole, Hard Skool and Absurd... all that in over 20 years and we don't know how much impact he had in releasing the last two songs... but considering the mixing, he either doesn't care anymore or he lost his perferctionism along the way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Well, it doesn't surprise me that you don't agree but the truth is he changed. I don't know how much a perfectionist he was back than but considering the books I read he seemed very focused on the songs he worked on. NR for example with all the synth orchestra he added. It took a lot of time but he worked hard and he finished songs.

And that's where he changed. He released songs on a regular basis and now he dont. Oh  My God, CD as a whole, Hard Skool and Absurd... all that in over 20 years and we don't know how much impact he had in releasing the last two songs... but considering the mixing, he either doesn't care anymore or he lost his perferctionism along the way.

You are conflating perfectionism with productivity and your own subjective feelings of recent songs with him not being interested in releasing songs he is satisfied with (or being satisfied with less). 

I would argue that the ridiculousness of Use Your Illusion could indicate the same, or the fact the he allowed songs like This I Love or If The World to be released. But fact is that Axl has always had his "babies" that mean a lot to him (like November Rain and Estranged), while there had been other songs that were more hastily put together or where he agreed to compromise. And he has always taken great pride in his vocals and getting them right. 

So I don't think the notion that Axl will always obsess over every detail of a song and can't possibly release something with mistakes or that aren't perfect, is correct, and hence it becomes a fallacy to point to a song that isn't perfect and use this to debunk the myth that Axl is a perfectionist, especially if that is a song you just happen to personally not like. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

People seem to get kind of irritated with me when I say this but I genuinely think Axl doesn’t like writing new music or really care that much about it moving forward.

Some users are so desperate for brand new Axl/Slash collaborations that they delude themselves into thinking Axl isn't creatively bankrupt, despite all evidence to the contrary.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Some users are so desperate for brand new Axl/Slash collaborations that they delude themselves into thinking Axl isn't creatively bankrupt, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Some users also claim Axl is a perfectionist when there’s no real indication of that, quite the contrary. I think we were all sold on the idea that Axl was tirelessly slaving away, creating the next GNR masterpiece, too focused on perfecting ever nuance that was to be CD. I think we all kinda want to romanticize the CD era. 

3 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Some users also claim Axl is a perfectionist when there’s no real indication of that, quite the contrary. 

Oh, there are definitely quite a few comments from people around Axl where it is claimed that he is a perfectionist. You can read about it here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4990-12-january-july-1991-touring-mayhem#19440

Personally, I think that he, like other people who are claimed to be perfectionists, to some extent choose what they should be perfectionist about, the day does not have enough hours to be a perfectionist about everything. 

9 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Some users also claim Axl is a perfectionist when there’s no real indication of that, quite the contrary. I think we were all sold on the idea that Axl was tirelessly slaving away, creating the next GNR masterpiece, too focused on perfecting ever nuance that was to be CD. I think we all kinda want to romanticize the CD era. 

It's easy to romanticize the CD era compared to what we have now, because Axl at least had some creative drive going on throughout, even if most of the material was written in the late 1990s. Up until 2007 he was still making new music (Shackler's was written after the Virginia Tech massacre).

The absolute dogshit mixes of Hard Skool & Absurd are the living examples of why Axl isn't a 'perfectionist' anymore.

He did change. Axl wouldn't have aproved this two shitty sounding singles 12 years ago.

And just to clarify: I do like the songs, but they sound like shit. Absurd isn't terrible but Hard Skool is an atrocity.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2

Axl is credited for producing and mixing Absurd and Hard Skool (along with Caram). So he was more involved and more responsible for the result than just approving it.

I think he may have somehow been convinced that this is what current/"modern" rock songs should sound like. There's been a lot of talk about the lack of promotion, but I'm sure there was thought and some kind of reasoning (even if it was miscalculated) behind the way they went with these releases, from the selection of these two particular tracks to the production, the spelling of the titles, the imagery, to dropping them digitally as standalone songs, etc. And that was to appeal to young audiences. Like, "kids nowadays find their music on streaming platforms, they don't need anything more." I wonder whose idea that was.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You are conflating perfectionism with productivity and your own subjective feelings of recent songs with him not being interested in releasing songs he is satisfied with (or being satisfied with less). 

I would argue that the ridiculousness of Use Your Illusion could indicate the same, or the fact the he allowed songs like This I Love or If The World to be released. But fact is that Axl has always had his "babies" that mean a lot to him (like November Rain and Estranged), while there had been other songs that were more hastily put together or where he agreed to compromise. And he has always taken great pride in his vocals and getting them right. 

So I don't think the notion that Axl will always obsess over every detail of a song and can't possibly release something with mistakes or that aren't perfect, is correct, and hence it becomes a fallacy to point to a song that isn't perfect and use this to debunk the myth that Axl is a perfectionist, especially if that is a song you just happen to personally not like. 

Nah, I don't see it that way. It was him being an perfectionist who made some songs great but at the same time a lot of songs on the Illusions suffer from the same perfectionism. Just because you're an perfectionist doesn’t mean that every product you produce will be successful or loved by others. 

I personally don't think Axl in the 90s would give a fuck like he does now what their songs sound like.

Even if he sang a "song" like My World, it was produced with love.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think that's true. He just isn't able to get out of his way and let it be released. He probably wants it to be loved by everybody and deep down knows the second it's online it will be torn to pieces.

I don't think he likes hearing negative feedback, so he stops that by limiting the things he puts out there. 

I mean I agree, I’m just saying this is one of the factors that turned him into enjoying performing and touring more than actively trying to move forward with new music. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Its Tino said:

ITW is grossly underrated IMO

It could have been a great song if someone else would have sang it. It suffers a bit of an identity crisis as Axl’s voice and singing style doesn’t compliment the instrumentals and vice versa. 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, there are definitely quite a few comments from people around Axl where it is claimed that he is a perfectionist. You can read about it here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4990-12-january-july-1991-touring-mayhem#19440

Personally, I think that he, like other people who are claimed to be perfectionists, to some extent choose what they should be perfectionist about, the day does not have enough hours to be a perfectionist about everything. 

Most telling Axl quote. Sums up everything voice related we’ve been discussing on this forum for years. 

Everyone may have loved it, but I know it sucked compared to what I should have done. Like, I can go out and not be able to hit the notes in the end of 'Rocket Queen' and I can make up a melody on the spot, right there on the stage, and people think they're getting something special cause they're hearing it in a different way, but I know the fact is that I couldn't hit the fucking notes  

On 10/14/2022 at 5:17 PM, gavgnr said:

Personally I think that’s precisely what will happen. I also believe the wheels will start turning quite quickly in that regard early next year, possibly by the end of January. The next two months will be all about the UYI boxset though, maximising possible returns over the holidays.

The wheels have to start very quickly, because if not, in GNR timezone, they have to interrupt the new album release and concentrate on the 50th anniversary of AFD.

:awesomeface:

2 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

It could have been a great song if someone else would have sang it. It suffers a bit of an identity crisis as Axl’s voice and singing style doesn’t compliment the instrumentals and vice versa. 

I completely disagree wholeheartedly. To each their own!

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

TIL & ITW have some of Axl's strongest melodies on CD. Utterly bizarre to consider them something that Axl should have been embarrassed to release.

Axl said the original TIL was the hardest and most emotional thing he's ever written (or something to that effect) so much so that he deleted it and had to be convinced years later by the band to put it on CD ... Lol some people on here have crazy opinons

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

TIL & ITW have some of Axl's strongest melodies on CD. Utterly bizarre to consider them something that Axl should have been embarrassed to release.

The vocals are good, but the lyrics on those 2 are some of his worst. Both were much better as live songs though.

This I Love is weird, it's instrumentally great but the cheesy lyrics ruin it. The remix version is the opposite - mediocre instrumental but Axl sounds so good that it doesn't matter what he's singing.