The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

13 hours ago, Legendador said:

He won't, baby, he's a perfectionist, hence the reason we are waiting for a new album for 14 years now.

Duff recorded two Ozzy albuns in less than 6 months.

Slash made his last album in last than a year.

Your vigour somehow reminds me of certain Mr. Pele. Did you know, for example, that Axl was done with recording and literally "ready for mixing" as early as 2000 but was rejected by the fucking producers? Read the interview with Ezrin. Also, it's said somewhere that Axl recorded a bunch of the CD vocals in a single week. Whatever happened later was a different story.

Yes, they'll keep dangling the "new album" carrot in front of us for a long time, for sure, but thinking there's no material to be released at all, that's dumb - we know they have loads of usable stuff, hence the last year's new singles. 

Does their release policy/frequency suck, though? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Your vigour somehow reminds me of certain Mr. Pele. Did you know, for example, that Axl was done with recording and literally "ready for mixing" as early as 2000 but was rejected by the fucking producers? Read the interview with Ezrin. Also, it's said somewhere that Axl recorded a bunch of the CD vocals in a single week. Whatever happened later was a different story.

Yes, they'll keep dangling the "new album" carrot in front of us for a long time, for sure, but thinking there's no material to be released at all, that's dumb - we know they have loads of usable stuff, hence the last year's new singles. 

Does their release policy/frequency suck, though? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Ezrin didn't have any authority/ability to block CD's release. He was hired by Axl, not the label. If Axl wanted CD out he could have gotten anyone to produce it and submitted it to the label. Ezrin's comments just provided yet another excuse for him to not release it.

24 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Ezrin didn't have any authority/ability to block CD's release. He was hired by Axl, not the label. If Axl wanted CD out he could have gotten anyone to produce it and submitted it to the label. Ezrin's comments just provided yet another excuse for him to not release it.

He really should have let the album "go" early 2000s. The differences between demo and finished product so minimal to the general audience's ear. All the tinkering in the world ... it don't really matter. Quite a few of the final CD songs turned out worse compared the the versions ready for release 8 years earlier. It's like taking a shot with a bow: aim for to long, and you lose sight of the target entirely.

53 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

He was brought in by Iovine, but ok, you may be right with this, but it still didn't help anything. As sensitive/insecure as Axl might have been at that time, maybe the music would have been released earlier had circumstances like this been different...

30 minutes ago, Gaanzer said:

He really should have let the album "go" early 2000s. The differences between demo and finished product so minimal to the general audience's ear. All the tinkering in the world ... it don't really matter. Quite a few of the final CD songs turned out worse compared the the versions ready for release 8 years earlier. It's like taking a shot with a bow: aim for to long, and you lose sight of the target entirely.

Axl said in 2009 I think on the Billboard interview sonething along the lines of the album wouldn't have been any better had it come out earlier. Which goes against what the general consensus here is, the original leaks we had were superior and when we got the even older stuff like the title track with Tommy's heavy as fuck bass and Brains drums circa 2001 it became clear that years of tinkering just added unnecessary new guitar parts and mixed all the bass out. 

12 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I wouldn't put too much weight on what the general consensus here seems to be. The general consensus here seems to hate Hard Skool for example, yet the reception of the song has been very positive when you look at Youtube comments for example. A lot of the positivity is based on the fact that it sounds a lot like old school GNR, unlike the demo. But the general consensus here seems to be that the demo is better.

On the grand scale of things the general consensus of this message board doesn't mean jack shit.

I thought it was the mixing people didnt like about Hard Skool rather than the song. 

18 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I wouldn't put too much weight on what the general consensus here seems to be. The general consensus here seems to hate Hard Skool for example, yet the reception of the song has been very positive when you look at Youtube comments for example. A lot of the positivity is based on the fact that it sounds a lot like old school GNR, unlike the demo. But the general consensus here seems to be that the demo is better.

On the grand scale of things the general consensus of this message board doesn't mean jack shit.

That's not what I've seen over here. I feel like Absurd got a lot of shit while most people enjoyed Hard Skool. That said, Hard Skool got som fair criticism in regards to the mixing, the new kooler name, new drums and the "ayy, ayy"-samples. But fair criticism doesn't mean that people hated it, rather that it wasn't a perfect song. 

2 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I thought it was the mixing people didnt like about Hard Skool rather than the song. 

People here dislike different things about it. The mixing seems to be a big one, but my point is that it doesn't really matter on the grand scale of things what people on this message board think. This is just a very small portion of the GNR fanbase. Most GNR fans seem to love Hard Skool and the reception of the song has been very positive and it's very likely that the demo version wouldn't have been as well received since a lot of the poitivity stems from the fact that Hard Skool has old school GNR vibes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swedish said:

That's not what I've seen over here. I feel like Absurd got a lot of shit while most people enjoyed Hard Skool. That said, Hard Skool got som fair criticism in regards to the mixing, the new kooler name, new drums and the "ayy, ayy"-samples. But fair criticism doesn't mean that people hated it, rather that it wasn't a perfect song. 

Well "hate" was a pretty strong word admittedly. What I meant was that the general consensus here seems to be that the demo version is better. There was even a poll about it. But since most of the GNR fanbase seems to love Hard Skool because of the old school vibes, it's safe to say that the demo version probably wouldn't have been as well received. Even if this message board seems to prefer the demo version.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Well "hate" was a pretty strong word admittedly. What I meant was that the general consensus here seems to be that the demo version is better. There was even a poll about it. But since most of the GNR fanbase seems to love Hard Skool because of the old school vibes, it's safe to say that the demo version probably wouldn't have been as well received. Even if this message board seems to prefer the demo version.

Oh I get what you mean, I can see that. Personally I would've preferred the released version with the drums of the Village leak!

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I don't really care about the mixing, a bit heavy handed but meh it isn't clipping so I can listen to it. I just thought the song never really  took off, poor vocals/lyrics and bad arrangement

23 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I think a 2023 GN'R US tour is almost a given, whether or not an album will be involved, that's another story. I expect at least a US tour next year, and a single or two from the band. 

Or, we very well could be having the same conversations about 2024 this time next year. :( But... I feel the above is far more likely. :)

The way Ticketmaster is butt-fucking concertgoers post-Covid, a 2023 US GNR tour might not even be something I attend. Dynamic pricing is completely out of control at the moment. There are so many artists I wanna see, but I’m one of those people who likes to sit close. Some artists, like blink-182, are not worth $699 each to be within the first 50 rows.

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Blink-182 just reunited, dropped a single, and has a record in the can. Chili Peppers have had two albums since John returned. Slash has had two Conspirators records since he himself has returned to GNR. Duff released a solo album and co-wrote an Ozzy Osborne record.

Duff and Slash rejoined Guns seven freakin’ years ago and we’ve only gotten two low-effort (production-wise) reworked songs dropped with little-to-no promotion. There has been zero indication GNR have collaborated on anything as an actual band. Not one song. Not one new riff. Nothing. There is no justifiable reason to have taken this long to release decades-old songs featuring Duff and Slash. 

Couldn't put it any better than this. 

The above bands are also touring or busy with their own lives outside music, the difference is they choose to make time and put effort into being creative. 

I get why they didn't immediately write a new album to go with the Coachella return, but seven years later according to them it's working and they are getting on great... so that they haven't written some new songs it's just so lazy. I can't see them ever releasing a new album with Slash/Axl/Duff/The others all contributing new original ideas, we're going to be lucky to get the remaining Chinese songs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Blink-182 just reunited, dropped a single, and has a record in the can. Chili Peppers have had two albums since John returned. Slash has had two Conspirators records since he himself has returned to GNR. Duff released a solo album and co-wrote an Ozzy Osborne record.

Duff and Slash rejoined Guns seven freakin’ years ago and we’ve only gotten two low-effort (production-wise) reworked songs dropped with little-to-no promotion. There has been zero indication GNR have collaborated on anything as an actual band. Not one song. Not one new riff. Nothing. There is no justifiable reason to have taken this long to release decades-old songs featuring Duff and Slash. 

Because they don't feel like it? Is that a "justifiable reason"? You act like they owe you something. 

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Holy shit... I just checked their prices. :wow:

$500+ for floor, almost $1000 for 'pit', $350+ to sit behind the fucking stage... I've only been to a few concerts this year and luckily I haven't had to buy any tickets through ticketmaster. There's no band that I would pay those prices to see, that's fucking insanity.

RHCP is quite absurd in some markets too, but not that bad. Do yourselves a favour people and go see Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds or Violent Femmes, or any other similarly talented band who don't rip their fans off instead.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Because they don't feel like it? Is that a "justifiable reason"? You act like they owe you something. 

They don’t owe me shit. I can still be frustrated that my favorite band won’t release decades-old, finished songs, and instead would rather promote toy trucks and overpriced, low-effort box sets of records from the ‘80s. Clearly, there’s no new GNR music due to one person.

7 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

RHCP is quite absurd in some markets too, but not that bad. Do yourselves a favour people and go see Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds or Violent Femmes, or any other similarly talented band who don't rip their fans off instead.

Mark from blink put out a message feigning ignorance over the dynamic pricing. But bands have the option to opt out of it. Instead, they enjoy making ticketmaster the bad guy while they reap the rewards from fleecing their fans. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2