The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

What baffles me is our patience. Year after year we wait. Granted the two songs dropping in 2021 gave the band another 3 or so years to keep us dangling some more. Like I always say, we're glutton for punishment and we love it! There's something very addictive about the neverending wait, 95 percent likely for nothing. 

16 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

What baffles me is our patience. Year after year we wait. Granted the two songs dropping in 2021 gave the band another 3 or so years to keep us dangling some more. Like I always say, we're glutton for punishment and we love it! There's something very addictive about the neverending wait, 95 percent likely for nothing. 

Speak for yourself. I find this band tedious beyond belief. Getting new music from them is like pulling teeth. Long, agonizing and joyless. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

What baffles me is our patience. Year after year we wait. 

What do you mean? You sit somewhere with baited breath, having put your life on hold, while waiting for new music?

I don't really wait, I just look forward to new music and that happens automatically with no effort on my side at all. As long as I will appreciate new music, I will continue to look forward to it. It is no skin off my back and is not a problem to me at all.

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

What baffles me is our patience. Year after year we wait. 

Like SoulMonster I haven't been waiting either. I don't even expect another full length album from GN'R, I think they're done putting out actual new music as the incarnation they now are. I listen to way too much other music to spend time waiting for any artist to release anything, plus numerous years between releases can be normal in another genre I like. 

• Thanks 1

If/when we get an eventual new album, I bet enough time will pass after the last singles are released (assuming we get more singles or EPs) to where if those songs make the album, they will be different mixes, even if slightly changed. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Absurd and Hard Skool have been tinkered with since release. They will, at the minimum need to be mastered with the rest of the songs on the album for better flow. 

• Like 1

I don’t expect an album but we can hope that they delayed the new (old) singles from last year that Slash brought up to coincide with Glastonbury for what will be probably be the biggest media exposure they’ve had since 2016.

So if we get nothing before June, I see no reason to carry on waiting for anything after.

14 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

I don’t expect an album but we can hope that they delayed the new (old) singles from last year that Slash brought up to coincide with Glastonbury for what will be probably be the biggest media exposure they’ve had since 2016.

So if we get nothing before *2018*, I see no reason to carry on waiting for anything after.

Fixed that for you... 😉

Edited by ZODIAC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2023 at 12:26 AM, UYI4 said:

Another Metallica single just dropped.  Pretty sad to be a GNR fan as usual. 

Yep.

I even listened to the Metallica single :lol:

It wasn't even that bad lol. I was like "all these Metallica songs sound the same" but I kind of liked the guitar riffs / playing on it.

Edited by Lethalis

On 1/20/2023 at 12:26 AM, UYI4 said:

Another Metallica single just dropped.  Pretty sad to be a GNR fan as usual. 

Nothing sad about it. Just don't expect new music and it's all good. I don't expect new Beatles music, either, doesn't make it sad to be a Beatles fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Nothing sad about it. Just don't expect new music and it's all good. I don't expect new Beatles music, either, doesn't make it sad to be a Beatles fan.

maybe sad is a strong word, but the beatles pretty much lived to their musical full potential together and released an impressive catalog, Harrison and Lennon died a long time ago and the band is over so of course I wouldn't expect new music from them. Gn'R didn't even come close to reaching their full potential imo, even if their first proper album was AFD.

in the case of Gn'R what kinda sucks is members of the classic lineup are all alive but don't work together anymore, unreleased music is completed but still unreleased, just 2 singles, no album, and the current lineup... playing the same live shows give or take is not the only thing this lineup is capable of imo.

it's not all bad and I try to enjoy what we do have  but the 2 bands are very different with different circumstances and from different times but I think a lot of fans here expect more and are frustrated cause Absurd and HS got released and Slash has talked about what they want to do next.

it's still a lot of fun being a Gn'R fan when they're active and discussing the history plus I remain optimistic about more getting released but yeah it's the only band I'm into which feels like it exist on an alternative timeline.

Edited by Rovim

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

not sure if thats a good comparison, considering all of GnR are still living?  Keith Richards (79 years old) just hinted at new music and maybe another tour.  Thats how normal bands who actually want to release music function.  Yes, if the stones tour, the concert will be 95% old music.  I would respect GnR more if Axl would just tell the truth and say he has no interest any more in new music.  Its the dumb excuses that fans hate

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

maybe sad is a strong word, but the beatles pretty much lived to their musical full potential together and released an impressive catalog, Harrison and Lennon died a long time ago and the band is over so of course I wouldn't expect new music from them. Gn'R didn't even come close to reaching their full potential imo, even if their first proper album was AFD.

in the case of Gn'R what kinda sucks is members of the classic lineup are all alive but don't work together anymore, unreleased music is completed but still unreleased, just 2 singles, no album, and the current lineup... playing the same live shows give or take is not the only thing this lineup is capable of imo.

it's not all bad and I try to enjoy what we do have  but the 2 bands are very different with different circumstances and from different times but I think a lot of fans here expect more and are frustrated cause Absurd and HS got released and Slash has talked about what they want to do next.

it's still a lot of fun being a Gn'R fan when they're active and discussing the history plus I remain optimistic about more getting released but yeah it's the only band I'm into which feels like it exist on an alternative timeline.

I didn't claim Beatles and GN'R is similar in term of output :lol:

My point was that as soon as people stop expecting new music from GN'R, as they would for Beatles, they can go back to just enjoying GN'R and not be sad, as they would for Beatles. 

1 hour ago, fabrph5 said:

not sure if thats a good comparison, considering all of GnR are still living?  Keith Richards (79 years old) just hinted at new music and maybe another tour.  Thats how normal bands who actually want to release music function.  Yes, if the stones tour, the concert will be 95% old music.  I would respect GnR more if Axl would just tell the truth and say he has no interest any more in new music.  Its the dumb excuses that fans hate

How does it matter if they are all living or not? People should still not expect new music from them. That is just inviting disappointment. 

Axl will not say he has no interest any more in new music, because that isn't the case. It is just that it takes an indefinite amount of time for him to release anything, and he knows that too. Maybe it is time we realize it also and stop being sad? 

People are so invested in this band, getting sad when another band releases music. Accept already that this band doesn’t (or hardly) release music, and your fandom will be so much easier. Or stop being a fan if it’s too hard to accept.

Edited by EvanG

57 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

What if Nothing and Eye On You are the next singles?

It would be interesting to hear a real version of Nothing.

Obviously it was worked on, since it was on the CD2 list, but what we've heard is such an early version that I barely even count it as a demo, it's more like an idea for a song than an actual song. Someone on the AFD podcast (might've been Josh Freese?) said Axl and Billy Howerdel would be working in the 'pro tools room' and Axl would quickly record vocal ideas... that's exactly what Nothing sounds like on the Village discs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I didn't claim Beatles and GN'R is similar in term of output :lol:

My point was that as soon as people stop expecting new music from GN'R, as they would for Beatles, they can go back to just enjoying GN'R and not be sad, as they would for Beatles. 

no you didn't, and I agree with your point but my point is that it's far easier to not expect anything or not be frustrated when the band doesn't exist anymore like in the case of the beatles. 

everyone is different, so for some fans it's difficult to treat this band like they're not active anymore (even if that's a good idea) when there is even a little bit of forward movement like the release of Absurd and HS. The 2019 leaks also played a part in this imo, even though I don't think it changed anything when it comes to when Axl is going to release more music. 

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

no you didn't, and I agree with your point but my point is that it's far easier to not expect anything or not be frustrated when the band doesn't exist anymore like in the case of the beatles. 

everyone is different, so for some fans it's difficult to treat this band like they're not active anymore (even if that's a good idea) when there is even a little bit of forward movement like the release of Absurd and HS. The 2019 leaks also played a part in this imo, even though I don't think it changed anything when it comes to when Axl is going to release more music. 

Oh absolutely. 

That's why I say, "Always hope, never believe" in regards to new music from GN'R. 

When Tool has a better track record of releasing music than your own band, you know that shit has gone horribly wrong at some point lol 

Honestly at this point I am a GNR fan for the legacy - Appetite, Lies and the Illusions.  If you mind-bend your way into thinking of GNR as a legacy act that is still touring, that will take the edge off of their inability to function like every other band does in the world

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

They function the way they, or Axl, wants to function. There are bands that release music every year. There are bands that release music every 5 years. There are bands that never release music and only tour. It’s not written anywhere how a band should function. It’s up to them. If you can’t live with that or you expect a band to function the way you want them to, then that’s your problem. I would have loved if they functioned differently too, but it’s not up to me, so it is what it is and I accept that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

If you mind-bend your way into thinking of GNR as a legacy act that is still touring, that will take the edge off of their inability to function like every other band does in the world

Why would you have to "mind-bend" your way into thinking like that? Is there any reason at all to think otherwise? :lol:

• Haha 1