The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Just now, DTJ80 said:

The big difference is these bands have ridiculous amounts of material to tap into….GNR doesn’t. We know there is stuff that will arrive….as per usual it’s a case of when.

Maybe I’m delusional but a new GNR record marketed correctly could still be an ‘event’.

I don't think GNR are capable of making the kinds of waves bands like Metallica, AC/DC even Ozzy make when they release albums.

It could be an extinction event😄

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

The big difference is these bands have ridiculous amounts of material to tap into….GNR doesn’t. We know there is stuff that will arrive….as per usual it’s a case of when.

Maybe I’m delusional but a new GNR record marketed correctly could still be an ‘event’.

That’s kind of the limiting factor of being a GNR fan, I mean in reality we have 4 full albums worth of material across 3 albums and one EP. Not counting CD of course. It would be nice to have one more solid effort.

Certainly I’m not expecting anything on the magnitude of Appetite, Lies or the Illusions, but just something where there are a handful of tracks I want to listen to….

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, smokingarthur said:

That’s kind of the limiting factor of being a GNR fan, I mean in reality we have 4 full albums worth of material across 3 albums and one EP. Not counting CD of course. It would be nice to have one more solid effort.

Certainly I’m not expecting anything on the magnitude of Appetite, Lies or the Illusions, but just something where there are a handful of tracks I want to listen to….

You have 4 albums including CD. 1. AFD 2. UYI I 3. UYI II 4. CD. Not sure there's anything to be gained from losing one AND if we were losing one wouldn't the better choice be to make UYI I & II a single record 😉 if we're saying controversial things😄

59 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

You have 4 albums including CD. 1. AFD 2. UYI I 3. UYI II 4. CD. Not sure there's anything to be gained from losing one AND if we were losing one wouldn't the better choice be to make UYI I & II a single record 😉 if we're saying controversial things😄

Honestly, I listen to TSI more than I do CD. When I listen to CD era tracks I listen to the demo’s and several live versions from pre-CD’s release. The album versions of most tracks just don’t work for me unfortunately.

That RIR 2001 version of “The Blues” with Axl being visibly angry towards one of the sound techs I consider the single greatest, most haunting piece of CD era music Axl has ever performed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Honestly, I listen to TSI more than I do CD. When I listen to CD era tracks I listen to the demo’s and several live versions from pre-CD’s release. The album versions of most tracks just don’t work for me unfortunately.

That RIR 2001 version of “The Blues” with Axl being visibly angry towards one of the sound techs I consider the single greatest, most haunting piece of CD era music Axl has ever performed. 

I'm sure I'm not alone in not loving all the performances and mix choices on UYI, but it's still a great album(s) as is Chinese. For me the UYI mix on certain days makes me dislike certain songs, but live they sound ferocious. I also think the Chinese songs live from 2002-2014 sounded better live, though I love the mix and performances on the record.

For me the demos were always just demos, so I never got attached to them. When the final album came out that's when I really dove into the songs. I guess we just had opposite interactions and while I loved it, you hated it. 

Absurd would be so much better without the vocal delay on the verse - makes it hard on the ear. Although I get the idea is to add to the overall chaos of the song.

And they should’ve kept ‘what can I do? With a bitch like you?’ The best part of the song 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

Absurd would be so much better without the vocal delay on the verse - makes it hard on the ear. Although I get the idea is to add to the overall chaos of the song.

And they should’ve kept ‘what can I do? With a bitch like you?’ The best part of the song 

Yeah, it's kinda cool on the first few listens, then it becomes annoying :D

58 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

Can’t help it. I check here most days. Because I’d really love to hear new stuff!

We all do. But there's no use in waiting for it. We might get 1-2 new songs this year if we're lucky and Axl feels like it, but don't hold your breath for more.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

We all do. But there's no use in waiting for it. We might get 1-2 new songs this year if we're lucky and Axl feels like it, but don't hold your breath for more.

I can't even see a song or 2 coming this year. I think any momentum built up has long gone. 

19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think GNR are capable of making the kinds of waves bands like Metallica, AC/DC even Ozzy make when they release albums.

It could be an extinction event😄

I genuinely do think a well marketed campaign promoting a new GNR album tapping into the ‘trinity’ could absolutely smash it.

I think we get a bit down on the group because of their choices etc but standing back…..they knock it out the park concert attendance wise and have the legacy of AFD/UYI to refer to…..I have no doubts it would be a big thing. As for how many copies sold etc….who knows these days. But it would get hype.

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I genuinely do think a well marketed campaign promoting a new GNR album tapping into the ‘trinity’ could absolutely smash it.

I think we get a bit down on the group because of their choices etc but standing back…..they knock it out the park concert attendance wise and have the legacy of AFD/UYI to refer to…..I have no doubts it would be a big thing. As for how many copies sold etc….who knows these days. But it would get hype.

It would be a big thing in a couple South American countries... :lol:

I think the only way to really get "hype" around a new GNR album would be to market it as a farewell - "Guns N' Roses (self titled album), one final album, one final farewell tour, get your tickets and music at gnr.com" kind of thing. But even still, they (Axl) would have to do interviews and promo, and I just can't imagine that happening.

• Like 1

Getting the three guys together on the talkshow circuit would do wonders for them. Add in using a few riffs in adverts at a similar time, few radio appearances or podcast appearances.

Maybe slash goes on a guitar channel on YouTube, Axl does a piano breakdown of November rain on another channel, done.

It's really not difficult to throw ideas out there and then get it lined up.

45 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think the only way to really get "hype" around a new GNR album would be to market it as a farewell - "Guns N' Roses (self titled album), one final album, one final farewell tour, get your tickets and music at gnr.com" kind of thing. But even still, they (Axl) would have to do interviews and promo, and I just can't imagine that happening.

I guess we need to SEE evidence of an album first to even begin the discussion as to how popular it would be….🤣

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I guess we need to SEE evidence of an album first to even begin the discussion as to how popular it would be….🤣

Of course, it's all hypothetical.

But we know an album would be mostly, if not completely, CD leftovers... going by the reactions to Absurd and Hardschool, they'd have to promote the hell out of it to get people interested in more CD songs.

12 minutes ago, Chris1989 said:

Getting the three guys together on the talkshow circuit would do wonders for them. Add in using a few riffs in adverts at a similar time, few radio appearances or podcast appearances.

Maybe slash goes on a guitar channel on YouTube, Axl does a piano breakdown of November rain on another channel, done.

It's really not difficult to throw ideas out there and then get it lined up.

Which one of them would do Hot Ones? :lol:

13 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

I wonder if a studio version of that mix even exists. The 2000 mix (Village) doesn't have it, and the leak with Bumblefoot (presumably recorded over an older demo) didn't either, nor did the official Absurd release.

Axl did say the chorus is gone, so I assume he was referencing a studio track and not the live version we first heard. 

So maybe there is a 2001-2004 mix with that chorus. That would be a cool mix, with the short killswitch intro and full vocals, and Bucket and/or Robin on lead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Farewell album "good f'n night" :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Of course, it's all hypothetical.

But we know an album would be mostly, if not completely, CD leftovers... going by the reactions to Absurd and Hardschool, they'd have to promote the hell out of it to get people interested in more CD songs.

Which one of them would do Hot Ones? :lol:

True….but they didn’t really promote either of them either! There was literally nothing (certainly in the UK) to say either was out. I had to give the heads-up to fellow fans Hardschool was even out!

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

True….but they didn’t really promote either of them either! There was literally nothing (certainly in the UK) to say either was out. I had to give the heads-up to fellow fans Hardschool was even out!

I heard Hardschool on the radio once, the day it was released. The AFD box (and SOYL single) definitely had better promo. Obviously you'd expect a band at GNR's level would know how to promote an album, but most big bands release videos for their singles and play the songs live on Kimmel or Stern or whatever, and GNR didn't bother to do those things...

CD gets shit for having bad promo, but the lead-up to the album was well done: a song in a popular video game, a song in a Leo Dicaprio movie, stream the album online a couple days before release, tv commercials... followed by total silence once the album was out. :lol:

If they avoid the total silence part but do something similar to the CD rollout (plus some interviews and performances) they might actually create some hype.