The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

If you mind-bend your way into thinking of GNR as a legacy act that is still touring, that will take the edge off of their inability to function like every other band does in the world

Wise words. This is the way forward for me.

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why would you have to "mind-bend" your way into thinking like that? Is there any reason at all to think otherwise? :lol:

True, but it helps to remove the hope of anything new from the band.

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

They function the way they, or Axl, wants to function. There are bands that release music every year. There are bands that release music every 5 years. There are bands that never release music and only tour. It’s not written anywhere how a band should function. It’s up to them. If you can’t live with that or you expect a band to function the way you want them to, then that’s your problem. I would have loved if they functioned differently too, but it’s not up to me, so it is what it is and I accept that. 

That’s fine but this band has been mentioning new music since when, 2014?

4 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

We got new music not long ago and we will likely get more singles at some time in the future. If people could lower their expectations to likely getting a few more songs at some point in the future, they would save themselves a lot of disappointment. 

31 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

I honestly don't know, I don't follow it that closely, but someone on here once posted all the quotes about new music talk and it wasn't as much as people here try to make it seem. In fact, I think Axl only once gave a specific time for a possible release, other than that he has always said he doesn't know when new music will come out. If people still get their hopes up, especially with GnR's history, it's kinda their own doing.

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I honestly don't know, I don't follow it that closely, but someone on here once posted all the quotes about new music talk and it wasn't as much as people here try to make it seem. In fact, I think Axl only once gave a specific time for a possible release, other than that he has always said he doesn't know when new music will come out. If people still get their hopes up, especially with GnR's history, it's kinda their own doing.

It was me.

People definitely tend to over-interpret any little indication that the band is working on new music, or even just stating that they hope new music will come at some point. Our hopes get the best of us. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It was me.

People definitely tend to over-interpret any little indication that the band is working on new music, or even just stating that they hope new music will come at some point. Our hopes get the best of us. 

I get the disappointment when a favourite band doesn't release music, but getting my hopes up is something else. It would require naivety to still get my hopes up regarding new music. It's not like I'm a new fan or haven't been paying attention in the last 30 years.

Something I just realized. Last year Slash said they might release singles two at a time to later be collected on an album. Now he’s saying they only recorded (maybe) 6 songs, clearly not enough for an album. I wonder what he initially meant. Maybe he expects the hypothetical album to mix both old and newly penned tracks?

Edited by sofine11

13 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Something I just realized. Last year Slash said they might release singles two at a time to later be collected on an album. Now he’s saying they only recorded (maybe) 6 songs, clearly not enough for an album. I wonder what he initially meant. Maybe he expects the hypothetical album to mix both old and newly penned tracks?

Everyone’s definition of an “album” is different. For example, TB are under the impression an “album” has already been released and the prophecy fulfilled. Slash may have been referring to an EP, or like you said, old and new.

• Like 1

Reflecting on a new album, I was talking to my family about how writing new material seemed to be somewhat of a hurdle after Appetite For Destruction/Lies.  A good chunk of the UYI songs were pre AFD material finalized.  Some were entirely new, I acknowledge that.  I feel like too much success CAN (but doesn't always) make it hard for bands to create new material.  After the success and exhaustion of the historic UYI tour (on top of tensions and issues reaching a point that would lead to the band breaking up), I get the impression GN'R was facing difficulty writing new music but once GN'R essentially ended, Axl wrote an insane amount of songs.  You've got 14 songs on ChiDem and I know a lot of unreleased ChiDem material are song concepts and not really songs, but you've still got potentially another 12ish songs good enough for an album sitting in the vault.

That is TWO ALBUMS worth of material Axl wrote following UYI.  I think that's impressive for someone who has (rightfully?) been described as lazy and someone who reached the top and realized somewhere that he and his band would never reach anything close to their glory days height again.

Its time to face Axls voice is absolutely gone...I don't want to rate his performance during Presleys funeral, but taking away the fact of his great gesture, heart and emotions, only saying this in this particular forum, we must admit his voice is long gone. If he isnt capable of sounding strong in this register for only one song (I know it wasnt a show) it means he can no longer do it.

Im very sad about it. 

I repeat this once more, I'm not taking any shot at Axl, it was very nice what he did for his friend; but his singing speaks for itself in terms of vocal range/power/drive.

13 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Its time to face Axls voice is absolutely gone...I don't want to rate his performance during Presleys funeral, but taking away the fact of his great gesture, heart and emotions, only saying this in this particular forum, we must admit his voice is long gone. If he isnt capable of sounding strong in this register for only one song (I know it wasnt a show) it means he can no longer do it.

Im very sad about it. 

I repeat this once more, I'm not taking any shot at Axl, it was very nice what he did for his friend; but his singing speaks for itself in terms of vocal range/power/drive.

He's sounded bad on NR for years. I actually thought his rendition at the LMP memorial was an improvement to some of the NITL performances I've heard of NR. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

He's sounded bad on NR for years. I actually thought his rendition at the LMP memorial was an improvement to some of the NITL performances I've heard of NR. 

I agree. The beginning was difficult, but for the rest he sounded like he's sounded for years now to my ears. And taking the circumstances into account, being off tour, with no band, and being obviously very emotional, it was better than I expected/feared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Im very sad about it. 

He hasn’t been handling the medium, "mellow" register well as far back as since 2011 (with the exception of AC/DC, which he gave his best). If you want to assess his current abilities in general, you need different songs for that, like Jungle or This I Love, and ideally from around the middle of a tour...

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Im very sad about it. 

Axl's register on NR isn't great at the best of times, and all things considered, I think he did a decent job. His performance wasn't the strongest because he was emotional and likely didn't get any vocal warmups done. Plus, I think the mics were a bit poor/flat for all performers on the day too.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Axl's register on NR isn't great at the best of times, and all things considered, I think he did a decent job. His performance wasn't the strongest because he was emotional and likely didn't get any vocal warmups done. Plus, I think the mics were a bit poor/flat for all performers on the day too.

I get your point but if you compare it for example with Dave Grolhs emotional performance during Hawkins tribute, you can listen his voice is strong but he fails to sing due to his emotions...

In Axls case, he just sing with this weak falsetto, the one known as Mickey and he doesnt even seem to get strong on any phrase.

He should sing NR with his clean voice

2 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Im very sad about it. 

I watched a few clips on twitter which sounded not great  but watching the YouTube stream it seemed really good to me  

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 9:54 AM, sofine11 said:

I sure hope so! And by that I mean CD-era mixes with some newer or touched up CD stuff.