John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Black Summer is still the best single, but Not The One is better than Poster Child.

Black Summer would be okay, but is ruined by Anthony sounding like a complete retard with his faux accents.

The other two are shite, especially Poster Child.

I'll listen to the album, but my anticipation is low. Both Raindance Maggie and Dark Necessesities piss over any of these songs. As do most of the album tracks from the last two albums tbh. 

I thought it was a dick move the way they dismissed Josh when Frusciante decided he'd spent long enough scratching his balls doing fuck all. Creatively, Josh kept them fresh, and early indicators suggest with Frusicante's return, the emperor really has no clothes.

• Like 1

I read somewhere in a recent interview that for the first time they put their egos aside while writing these new songs.
I can imagine John being a bit modest after ten years, so he probably didn't want to immediately take over the band creatively speaking like he did before. (especially on By The Way)
Maybe he should have done that, though, because I think he's the best songwriter of the bunch and so far these three new songs are a bit underwhelming and I'm kinda missing the Frusciante flavour.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I still like Not the One, but after giving it a few more listens, im not sure if it was right to release this as an advanced track. Black Summer and Poster Child made more sense as singles.

Poster Child isn't technically a single, just a song that they let us hear.

Black Summer really grew on me, when I play it, it seems like a 3 minute song. It just has a great interesting structure where u don't have to listen to two choruses then get the solo and the intro is really great. And also Anthony's singing in Black Summer is great, I mean he is having fun with it, its as if Axl would do an entire song the way he sings "but I don't wanna do it" in Sorry, it fits the song n' its fun.

But the rest; Poster Child and Not The One are like background noise, does not catch my attention at all.

I'm hoping for 3 classic songs on this album 'till they'll call it a day.

37 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Thinking about it, Dark Necessities takes a steaming dump on all three of these songs. Not a perfect song by any means, but it still sounds inspired and makes these songs sound pedestrian.

I'd agree with this. Actually while I like Frusciante's RHCP, the albums that I come back to listen to most are The Getaway and One Hot Minute. 

• Like 1

I like both John and Josh and I like all the new/leaked songs we’ve heard from both incarnations this year so far.

That said, I genuinely like the three new John songs better than the two “new” Josh ones, and I don’t think that’s just stockholms syndrome playing tricks on my brain or whatever. I seriously think John, even now in his 50s, has more personality in his playing than Josh.

But make no mistake. I still like Josh a lot too, and am thankful for his contributions. Glad we were still able to get two more songs from his tenure, at the very least.

Edited by rocknroll41

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I like both John and Josh and I like all the new/leaked songs we’ve heard from both incarnations this year so far.

That said, I genuinely like the three new John songs better than the two “new” Josh ones, and I don’t think that’s just stockholms syndrome playing tricks on my brain or whatever. I seriously think John, even now in his 50s, has more personality in his playing than Josh.

But make no mistake. I still like Josh a lot too, and am thankful for his contributions. Glad we were still able to get two more songs from his tenure, at the very least.

I agree with all this. There are some gems from the 2 Josh albums. BDS is one of their best songs imo I really hope John agrees to play some of those tracks live.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Thinking about it, Dark Necessities takes a steaming dump on all three of these songs. Not a perfect song by any means, but it still sounds inspired and makes these songs sound pedestrian.

I do still like Dark Necessities better than all these new songs so far, yeah. That much I’ll admit.

It's funny how none of these three songs have a single memorable guitar line so far. They're all forgettable, bland and uninspired tracks. I'd take Dark Necessities over all three put together at any day of the week. Hope the new album is better than this cuz man...

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I do still like Dark Necessities better than all these new songs so far, yeah. That much I’ll admit.

6 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

It's funny how none of these three songs have a single memorable guitar line so far. They're all forgettable, bland and uninspired tracks. I'd take Dark Necessities over all three put together at any day of the week. Hope the new album is better than this cuz man...

Dark Necessities was a killer track. While I think these 3 songs are decent or pretty good (depending on which), none have the power that I expect from a RHCP lead single. That being said, I just can't count out a double album from RHCP with Frusciante. I have hope that the album will be better than these 3 songs have led us to believe.

I'm really looking for more front-of-mix backing vocals from John, though - that's really crucial for me in a lot of RHCP music.

• Like 2

I think Black Summer is great. A lot of people seem to not really like it very much though. Have not listened to the other 2 tracks cause I want the album experience to be fresh but I guess Black Summer is not really what most fans expected/wanted of a reunited Chilis with John.

hopefully there is something for everyone when the album comes out, at least this band is prolific.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Now I keep going back and forth between the new John songs and the new Josh songs, trying to decide which I really do like better.

So strange that this is all happening at once… I will say this, though: All five of these songs are better than Raindance Maggie, but not as good as Dark Necessities.

21 hours ago, Ixtlan said:

I totally agree with you on your assessment of the new material with John. It’s so disappointing. Frusciante is a virtuoso. I expected so much more. DK6 where do you see comments on the new songs?

just YouTube and that sort of thing.

The entire album leaked. Just listened to it. Easily their best since By the Way (could even be better than that one, actually). All the other songs were amazing. Not sure what they were thinking with the singles they chose.

The Heavy Wing could very well be the new best song in their entire catalog.

And yes, Anthony says California, on two songs in particular: These Are the Ways and White Braids.

Not sure why these early reviews have been so mixed. This album is amazing.

• Like 3

Downloaded it 15 minutes ago and listened to Here Ever After and Aquatic Mouth Dance and they sound at first hear much better than the 3 songs that were already released. I'll listen to the rest of the album tomorrow properly when I have the time for it, but I'm glad these two songs sound more promising, because I was worried there for a second...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The entire album leaked. Just listened to it. Easily their best since By the Way (could even be better than that one, actually). All the other songs were amazing. Not sure what they were thinking with the singles they chose.

The Heavy Wing could very well be the new best song in their entire catalog.

And yes, Anthony says California, on two songs in particular: These Are the Ways and White Braids.

Not sure why these early reviews have been so mixed. This album is amazing.

Im relieved to hear your assessment. 

40 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I just listened to the whole album and Poster Child and Not The One are 2 worst songs there

Where did you find it?