06/07/22 - Seville,ES - Estadio Benito Villamarin

alfierose

Axl could sing BIB with rasp if he wanted to but then it would pose two things

1) Why would he risk losing his voice on 1 song, it's pretty common knowledge that he uses his clean voice to preserve it

2) People would start questioning why he doesn't use Rasp on the Guns songs 

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

33 minutes ago, Dangom1 said:

1) Why would he risk losing his voice on 1 song, it's pretty common knowledge that he uses his clean voice to preserve it

So maybe the smart thing then would be to drop it (or not have brought it up at all) and play like Bad Obsession instead.

• GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, Dangom1 said:

Yes he could, but then his voice would 'crack', he went for the cleaner tone for safety as he hasn't been able to access more 'healthy' drives (the ones that sound more natural and less 'screamed' to our ears), that is generally caused by the lack of proper training before touring (can assume this because his clean tone here is nasal and similar to the beginning of most of the tours - and can relate to it as a vocalist, when my voice is untrained - or when I haven't sang in a couple of weeks, it's really hard for to access drives, the vocal chords become really stiff).

I apologize if I sound like trying to lecture you guys or anything lol, just want to contribute to the subject the best I can (also english isn't my first language)

In 2016 Axl was in GREAT shape vocally (I reference here the south america select which he did TWAT - that is great technique right there), with a lot of support and having his drives 'at hand' and was fully prepared. The good news is - he hasn't lost his voice, it has just lost conditioning. Maybe with the passing of Ron Anderson he hasn't found a new vocal coach or just doesn't care enough to find one.

5 hours ago, Dean said:

Back In Black, he’s still hitting all the notes, just super clean. Decent effort IMO.

He can still hit the notes just as well as he did in 2016, he just doesn’t have the rasp.

And I think Axl loves to sing this song. Also Reckless Life, I think the whole band enjoys playing the song, you can see that energy.

Back In Black - https://www.veed.io/view/2327d0fb-d5ae-4505-9293-3e6c81039121

Reckless Life - https://www.veed.io/view/36b973e5-0a4b-4341-96e1-4992a331dd63

10 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

Yes he could, but then his voice would 'crack', he went for the cleaner tone for safety as he hasn't been able to access more 'healthy' drives (the ones that sound more natural and less 'screamed' to our ears), that is generally caused by the lack of proper training before touring (can assume this because his clean tone here is nasal and similar to the beginning of most of the tours - and can relate to it as a vocalist, when my voice is untrained - or when I haven't sang in a couple of weeks, it's really hard for to access drives, the vocal chords become really stiff).

I apologize if I sound like trying to lecture you guys or anything lol, just want to contribute to the subject the best I can (also english isn't my first language)

In 2016 Axl was in GREAT shape vocally (I reference here the south america select which he did TWAT - that is great technique right there), with a lot of support and having his drives 'at hand' and was fully prepared. The good news is - he hasn't lost his voice, it has just lost conditioning. Maybe with the passing of Ron Anderson he hasn't found a new vocal coach or just doesn't care enough to find one.

I don't know if he worked with Ron Anderson after 2017/2018 ?

13 hours ago, fernandoGNR said:

Alt songs are almost all songs that have been played since 2016. The only ones missing are AC/DC covers (Whole Lotta Rosie and Riff Raff), Nice Boys (which will probably be played in Australia) and Duff songs (Attitude, So Fine, New Rose, Raw Power), and I Got You (I Feel Good).

13 hours ago, SAU3R said:

Also PTU, TAY and So Fine seem to be dropped from the alt list 

I really wanted them to play it. :(

Edited by We love Axl Rose

1 hour ago, Dangom1 said:

All very well, but he was willing to risk his voice for one song pretty much through each and every AC/DC show for the entire length of the tour. Some of his performances on those shows was on a par with his performances 30 years ago

Just now, LA_0013 said:

All very well, but he was willing to risk his voice for one song pretty much through each and every AC/DC show for the entire length of the tour. Some of his performances on those shows were on a par with his performances 30 years ago

7 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

All very well, but he was willing to risk his voice for one song pretty much through each and every AC/DC show for the entire length of the tour. Some of his performances on those shows was on a par with his performances 30 years ago

7 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

Edited by janrichmond
removed yt video
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

Unfortunately, even in 2016 when he was singing like that for AC/DC, he didn't sing like that for the GNR shows.  Kind of proves that what he CAN do and what he DOES with respect to his voice are not always the same thing.

3 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

The truck hasn't been open so far, but apparently it will be at some point. There's a picture i took from the merch stand in lisbon in the official merchandise thread.

Thanks 

14 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

TBH I don't mind the ACDC covers, wichita and seeker being there. 

What I don't get is BHS, it should've been a one off performance lol

Last year BHS was played only on the last show. I think it will be performed at least once this year as well, although I agree that this song should no longer be on the setlist.

Edited by We love Axl Rose

2 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

He can still hit the notes just as well as he did in 2016, he just doesn’t have the rasp.

And I think Axl loves to sing this song. Also Reckless Life, I think the whole band enjoys playing the song, you can see that energy.

Back In Black - https://www.veed.io/view/2327d0fb-d5ae-4505-9293-3e6c81039121

I swear at 0:56 he sings "CAUSE IM BACK ON THE TRACK, AND IM LEAVIN TO FUCK" lol

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

I agree 

2 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

The Bon Scott songs don't need rasp, Walk All Over You was alright, but Back In Black is similar to stuff like YCBM or Better where it needs aggressive, raspy vocals to sound good. 

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, jafeijo said:

What would you say, would it be a realistic option for Axl to do it 2016/ AxlDc style if they played shorter sets, like 1,5 hours instead of 3 with longer breaks between the shows?

Or is it just too risky to go full rasp even on a couple of songs now?

I also think they should cater the set list these days to low register songs that are easier to sing (if they’re gonna continue to do near-three hour shows). They can still play the “hits.” But add stuff like “Bad Obsession,” “Pretty Tied Up,” “Chinese Democracy,” “Patience,” “Don’t Cry,” “Mr. Brownstone,” “You’re Crazy” (Lies version), throughout. 

I’d also go so far as to say I’d be intrigued to hear some classic “rasp” or high-clean songs done in a different style, low register. Man, it’d be so rad if they ever did a theatre tour again but unplugged. “Street of Dreams” and “Madagascar” acoustic, with Axl in a low register and the band playing the songs in different arrangements. It’s something we’ve never really gotten. Make the old new again.

All that said, I love the current set list, and I have zero complaints about the 8-10 NITL shows I’ve been to since 2016. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

I also think they should cater the set list these days to low register songs that are easier to sing (if they’re gonna continue to do near-three hour shows). They can still play the “hits.” But add stuff like “Bad Obsession,” “Pretty Tied Up,” “Chinese Democracy,” “Patience,” “Don’t Cry,” “Mr. Brownstone,” “You’re Crazy” (Lies version), throughout. 

I’d also go so far as to say I’d be intrigued to hear some classic “rasp” or high-clean songs done in a different style, low register. Man, it’d be so rad if they ever did a theatre tour again but unplugged. “Street of Dreams” and “Madagascar” acoustic, with Axl in a low register and the band playing the songs in different arrangements. It’s something we’ve never really gotten. Make the old new again.

All that said, I live the current set list, and I have zero complaints about the 8-10 NITL shows I’ve been to since 2016. 

Man I'd love to a unplugged from GNR, but that would require creative effort and Axl doesn't like that kind of stuff. Maybe we'll get something like that when he gets older. 

23 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

All that said, I love the current set list, and I have zero complaints about the 8-10 NITL shows I’ve been to since 2016. 

His lower, more natural singing style is so good, they really should head in that direction whenever possible. That could be the future. :D

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

What would you say, would it be a realistic option for Axl to do it 2016/ AxlDc style if they played shorter sets, like 1,5 hours instead of 3 with longer breaks between the shows?

Or is it just too risky to go full rasp even on a couple of songs now?

I don't know but he definitely seemed to do a lot more rasp on the last show last year, especially PC at the end. It was still a 3+ hour show. Axl gets a lot of breaks in that 3 hours with all the jams, Duff song and encore break.