06/07/22 - Seville,ES - Estadio Benito Villamarin

alfierose

I have no take whatsoever on how Axl sounds as I don't watch the videos, but the general consensus seems to be 'great when you're there, on further analysis, not that good at all'? One of the reasons I don't watch them to be honest- I've been to gigs by bands, really enjoyed them, then I watch a crappy video and think it wasn't as good as I remember and feel disappointed. As long as you enjoyed it when you were there, that's pretty important. 

I have to say though, I'm far more excited than perhaps I should be about the setlist switchups. Such a positive. A few new songs and that would be fantastic. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 4

Wichita Lineman was also played. Setlist was

1. Easy

2. Brownstone

3. CD

4. Slither

5. Jungle

6. DTJ

7. Back in Black

8. ABSURD

9. RQ

10. Reckless

11. LALD

12. Estranged

13. YCBM

14. Wanna be Your Dog

15. HS

16. CW

17. Slash solo

18. SCOM

19. NR

20. KOHD

21. Nightrain

encore

22. Coma

23. Patience

24. Wichita Lineman

25. You’re Crazy

26. PC

theres a User on YouTube who uploaded at least snippets of every song 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Back In Black, he’s still hitting all the notes, just super clean. Decent effort IMO.

We only have one YT video to judge by, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is pretty similar to how he did it with AC/DC. To me it is powerful and he hits all the high notes. Granted, it's been 6 years so some deterioration is to be expected, but all in all it is great, in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

Wichita Lineman was also played. Setlist was

1. Easy

2. Brownstone

3. CD

4. Slither

5. Jungle

6. DTJ

7. Back in Black

8. ABSURD

9. RQ

10. Reckless

11. LALD

12. Estranged

13. YCBM

14. Wanna be Your Dog

15. HS

16. CW

17. Slash solo

18. SCOM

19. NR

20. KOHD

21. Nightrain

encore

22. Coma

23. Patience

24. Wichita Lineman

25. You’re Crazy

26. PC

theres a User on YouTube who uploaded at least snippets of every song 

That setlist is correct. I was there.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

We only have one YT video to judge by, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is pretty similar to how he did it with AC/DC. To me it is powerful and he hits all the high notes. Granted, it's been 6 years so some deterioration is to be expected, but all in all it is great, in my humble opinion.

Unsure if we’ve seen the same one, but if you search just Guns N’ Roses and filter for most recent, there’s a video by Jorge M titled Guns N’ Roses Seville 2022 which is a video of just Back In Black. He’s literally hitting everything he should just minus the drive he put behind it in 2016. Solid performance to my ears.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I agree. Although it’s sad he lost the rasp it was still a decent performance and the band was great

1 minute ago, Trin9498 said:

Let’s come back down to reality. People are saying he sounds great in person and shitty on videos. Yet if you watch BIB videos from 16 he does sound great. There is no comparison. The band sounds tight right now. He just can’t sing anymore. There’s no shame is saying that….there’s no doubt the effort is there. He’s showing up on time, playing long sets etc.  He was a mental mess when the band formed. He was worse when they hit it big and he became a super diva. He was able to bury the hatchet with Slash and Duff. Mentally he seems legitimately happy now and in a good place. I think that’s the best thing about these shows now and the state of the “band”. The negative energy and animosity is gone. 

I thought he sounded more or less like the videos on youtube from what i saw in lisbon.  He sounded good on a few songs, not so much on most others, but that didn't make me not having fun on the show, it was great

3 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

I thought he sounded more or less like the videos on youtube from what i saw in lisbon.  He sounded good on a few songs, not so much on most others, but that didn't make me not having fun on the show, it was great

Totally not trying to take away from that / those that want to go, should go, and make these best of it. It’s certainly not a cheap show so people should enjoy it. I’m a fan and have been one since ‘87. I just think the singing isn’t there anymore. It was his voice and onstage persona that got me into the band. That’s changed. Again, just my opinion. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jaygnr said:

Do we have any pics of the Merch truck for this leg? Wanna see whats on sale and if anything new for when i go in Dublin:slash:

The truck hasn't been open so far, but apparently it will be at some point. There's a picture i took from the merch stand in lisbon in the official merchandise thread.

That Back In Black performance is a really good way to show someone just how much Axl's voice has fallen off since 2016.

When I saw AXL/DC, he sounded absolutely incredible and really brought the rasp. The rasp is almost completely gone now. The only thing making this performance sound halfway decent is the fact he's actually singing with some power unlike every other song he goes full House Of Mouse on.

I was actually more disappointed with Slash's BIB performance because he fucked the solos up. That was painful to hear. 

Axl's voice improved during the song, Slash was only good on the rhythm parts.

Edited by Sosso

22 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

He just can’t sing anymore.   

That is a factually incorrect statement. Or would you say that anyone who can't sing with rasp can't sing? That would mean that the majority of professional singers can't sing.

I do prefer the 06 version cause I like the rasp. But Back in Black is a very difficult song to sing even if you don't use rasp. Most people can't hit the notes. Axl can. So he is still a good singer. He just isn't the inhuman singer that he once was. But he's still a good singer.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I completely disagree that he "just can't sing anymore". It is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Of course he can't sing like he did when he was in his 20s and not all the songs recorded back then sounds great done now, but he is still a remarkable singer who had been able to retain an extraordinary range and versatility. Let's get real. 

Ok, I’ll clarify….He can’t sing the songs the way he originally sang them  - not only 20+ years ago, but in recent years too - (I acknowledge they’re hard, he’s older, etc…). To ‘me’, that makes the songs not sound good in a live environment. 

Edited by Trin9498
  • Like 2

Axl Rose can sing really well, just not in the way he used to…

GNR songs are extremely hard to sing and he’s still singing them in original key, hitting every note.

Of course his voice in high registers sounds weak now because the guy is 60 years old and he’s been singing intensively out of his range for 30+ years. Let’s give him a break.

By the way, he looks really good! Propably the best he looked since like 2009?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My two cents on the Axls voice on youtube thing.

When you are there, the clean voice sonds more powerful. On video the voice sounds weaker since it dosent come from a big pa on 100db.  Its like the drums sound alot more powerful when youre there. In studio you would use different eqs ect to fit better a home stereo equipment. Same with the voice.  All in all i think he sounded good in Lisbon when i saw them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Come on guys, lets face this...Axl sounds weak, out of tune, strained...Im sad about this cause he is my favorite artist ever and that wont change...but the vocals needed for GnR most songs at least live arent there anymore.

As I said a few days ago, we have lowered the bar insanely to accept this singing as OK

It's not OK on songs like YCBM no. But if thousands of people still keep on coming to buy tickets to come see you, and you make MILLIONS per night, you don't stop. Who would? No one would, you and me and we all know that we wouldn't either. It's one of the most fun and best paying jobs in the world. Axl is doing his best to preserve his voice to keep it going and that's how he has to sing now without obliterating his vocal chords where he can't sing anymore at all.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown