07/02/22 - London, GB - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

alfierose

9 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I wonder how many of the crowd know Carrie Underwood

Good question. She seems to play medium sized arenas when she tours here. Country music is a niche interest in the UK.

I thought we might get a surprise guest this weekend. Maybe Michael Monroe or not be of Axl or Slash's English mates.

Carrie Underwood wouldn't have been top of my wishlist, but she did a good job. 

• Like 1

I mean the bloke is 60 and his upper vocals have been getting increasingly shake and unreliable.

Ultimately he can't power through it like he used to if he gets a bad throat so it's either adjusts it or the voice gets blasted out totally.

In the end I think it sounded OK, it's sure not the Axl we knew but this might be where things are going soon, and maybe he needs to do that and save the higher stuff for the real key songs going forward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

Disagree. The best Axl sounded on a whole show in years. He should keep singing in the lower octaves. He sounds so much stronger and consistent 

And I saw them Tuesday in Dublin it was the best Axl voice performance Iv been too. Seen him 8 times in total for what its worth. 

Not sure 2 nights in a row is ideal for him though for this London set:axl92:

• Like 1

This was the most GNR concert in a long time. Axl should be commended for powering through tonight.

The streamer is asking the crowd and they all seemed to love it. PC, Nightrain & SCOM were listed as highlights by people.

I genuinely think he should keep this approach. 

2 minutes ago, Jaygnr said:

And I saw them Tuesday in Dublin it was the best Axl voice performance Iv been too. Seen him 8 times in total for what its worth. 

Not sure 2 nights in a row is ideal for him though for this London set:axl92:

Completely with you - Dublin was an absolute blast.

Edit: AXL/DC was by far the best Axl show I’ve ever seen - genuinely mesmerising, but Dublin was brill!

Edited by CAFC Nick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Have you ever had a day where you are under the weather and your voice doesn't do what you want it to?  Now imagine trying to sing Axl's vocal parts at the same time lol

I am all for critiquing when Axl is not on his game, but judging by the stark contrast of this show definitely something more must have been going on. 

I've sung a bit in my time and I remember my voice just giving out, like anything above a G4 was just gone and alot of stuff I sing goes well above that. You just have to adjust as best as you can, bringing it down. I've found that I've learnt the most in those situations as it makes you think how your going to transpose the song into a more manageable key, etc and that makes you a more thoughtful singer.

A good artist will adjust accordingly rather than just try to power through and mess the voice up even more. Props for Axl adjusting rather than just cancelling the show, as he could well have done that.

• Like 3

Bet when he first wrote them that Axl didn't think he'd still be having to belt out WTTJ and SCOM when he was 60!

Well, if higher pitched songs are becoming a problem, maybe going forward they should have Melissa and Duff's backing vocals higher in the mix.

Just a thought. I know this won't happen.

3 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

This was the most GNR concert in a long time. Axl should be commended for powering through tonight.

The streamer is asking the crowd and they all seemed to love it. PC, Nightrain & SCOM were listed as highlights by people.

I genuinely think he should keep this approach. 

I think some songs would benefit, he sounds just as good on civil war for example. Keep the higher stuff for the real classics and take out the real demanding songs unless he vocally feels he can.