Frank and Brain on Chinese Democracy

Brain's cool. But I don't think it was pointless to have the current drummer play on the then new album. I remember being disappointed that Frank and Richard only played on five songs each of the albums fourteen tracks.

Likewise I'm disappointed that Richard and Frank aren't on Absurd.

Edited by Gunner Gilby
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

Brain does the parts under the solos on CD, when it changes style to the double snare hits. 

I honestly think adding Frank to the album was pointless, especially when you hear the effort brain went to originally to do his parts a number of times in the masonic temple he's described. 

Axl just preferred how Frank played certain parts live and wanted that energy on the record. Not pointless.

• Like 1

Fortunately we have the leaks that span several periods of the band's history, so it is quite easy to track the changes between Brain/Frank.

Most noticeable are on Better/IRS for me:

- Better - Bridge/Chorus are Frank.

- I.R.S. - Mostly Frank, verses are notably Frank as you can hear his very "thuddy" kickdrum throughout.

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

And wasn't Brain's parts an exact replica of Josh Freeze's parts? 

Ahem.... The song's with Josh's drum parts are the best versions of the CD demo's imo. Sorry for digressing off topic. 

I agree. I love Freese's drumming on the leaks. I'm not even a big drum fan, I'm more of a guitar/bass guitar guy when I'm picking out instrumental parts in songs, but the drumming on the Freese demos really does stand out in my uneducated opinion. 

Edited by invisible_rose
  • Like 2

Frank plays most of If The World too, including the verses. I think he added a bit of the straight-forward approach that was happen in the live performances. I like what he did with IRS in 2006, it sounded a lot more powerful.

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

Ahem.... The song's with Josh's drum parts are the best versions of the CD demo's imo. Sorry for digressing off topic. 

I agree about Josh's drums, I love it. But Brain added some stuff on top of that too. 

Riad is the best exemple, and we have a lot of demos to compare it. The Village version with Brain sounds different than the album version, especially after the 1st chorus and on the solo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Give me lil bit of Brain, where's Josh part, oh cut into 4 pieces spread equally. Now time to add Frank.
Gosh I have some Adler in the storage, lemme bring some...

12107983-422727747923184-533635704768282

This is definitely a big issue with CD. They cut/pasted the soul out of it and you can tell. There’s a reason outside the obvious as to why people don’t typically sit around for 10+ years working on an album…because it doesn’t help it sound better!! Are there any songs on it that actually sound superior to earlier versions leaked or played live? 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

This is definitely a big issue with CD. They cut/pasted the soul out of it and you can tell. There’s a reason outside the obvious as to why people don’t typically sit around for 10+ years working on an album…because it doesn’t help it sound better!! Are there any songs on it that actually sound superior to earlier versions leaked or played live? 

No. In fact it's the opposite. Majority of CD songs sound better in earlier versions lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

No. I totally agree w/ post, perfectly stated. 

• Like 1

I used to be a drummer and have too much time on my hands.. Here's my guesses on who is playing what:

Chinese Democracy: Entire Track by Frank. 

If The World: Brain up til 03:07 and then Frank til 03:19, the back to Brain. This is by FAR the most noticeable 'Cut & Paste' of the drum tracks to me. Brain has such a tight playing style (Almost a drum machine but Frank is a lot 'looser' which is clearly what Axl was going for in this section and it  does kinda work) and the snare sounds so different . 

Better: Brain for the Intro & Verses. Cuts to Frank for 01:08 to 01:26  for Pre-Chorus into Chorus and then back to Brain. Continues in this manner (Brain on verses and Frank on Pre-Chorus and chorus) for rest of song. 

IRS: Brain apart from sequential Snare and Floot Tom hits that starts at 3:53 to 3:55.

Just my guess. Whilst it hards to say who is a better drummer, I personally lean towards Brain as my favourite overall sound with his infamous 'feel'. 

20 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

TOTALLY agree here. Spot on in my opinion. 

22 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

one of the things that I really wanna know from Axl is the real reason why we didn't get it in 2001, we all know that it was done...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 6:23 PM, Martin Riggs said:

Prostitute is probably the only one that truly improved on the final release.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:35 AM, jimisbatman said:

I agree with that, honestly Josh Freese based on the Village Session stuff is my favorite CD era drummer, with Brain being a second.  I actually don't mind Frank as some do but Josh's energy especially on the title track rough mixes really elevates the recording and the energy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I agree with that, honestly Josh Freese based on the Village Session stuff is my favorite CD era drummer, with Brain being a second.  I actually don't mind Frank as some do but Josh's energy especially on the title track rough mixes really elevates the recording and the energy

Great point. CD with Josh on drums is amazing, the song was energetic and perfect in 1999. Along with Riad, wow, it kicks arse, it's palpable, you can feel it, unlike the released version in my opinion

Edited by jimisbatman

13 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

The real question is:

Who will be on Hard Skool? :lol:

Axl's childhood friend, who has been playing guitar for 9 months, called Jones, and goes by the name...... bucketfoot 😂. Slash won't be a fan on moral grounds, however it will lead to axl penning unreleased track Sorry(I'm the boss) pt2

Edited by jimisbatman