Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

On 2/13/2021 at 11:50 PM, Spuffy78 said:

This is a disgrace and hopefully leads to the end of Cuomo's political ambitions.

Democrats wonder why Republicans who have nothing to offer constituents need to only look at the shit jobs both Cuomo and Newsom have done in their respective states.

It shouldn't be this hard.  Just competently execute a scientifically backed strategy and be transparent.  Adjust to the situation and provide clear and consistent communications when changes are needed.  And avoid political considerations, even in the face of terrible news.

Apparently Cuomo's administration found much of this too difficult.  At least they were trying, unlike the Trump administration, so there's that.  But the follow through and communication has been really bad.  

• Like 1

I've been analyzing the new infection statistics and if the U.S. (and rest of the world, to an extent) continues at this pace, we should see drastic reductions in new infection rates by the end of March and by the end of April, new infection rates should be down to levels not seen since the beginning of 2020.

The U.S. is already down over 60% in new infection rates since its peak in mid January.  60 million people have been vaccinated plus another 28 million or so infected.  That's close to 100 million people that have (at least) some form of resistance to the virus; meaning that true herd immunity should already be "working" to an extent.  And true herd immunity works exponentially, meaning the drop in new infections should come rapidly.  

This is an educated guess on my part (done by statistical research) but if I'm correct, we should be almost out of this by the end of April.  We shall see.   :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

I've been analyzing the new infection statistics and if the U.S. (and rest of the world, to an extent) continues at this pace, we should see drastic reductions in new infection rates by the end of March and by the end of April, new infection rates should be down to levels not seen since the beginning of 2020.

The U.S. is already down over 60% in new infection rates since its peak in mid January.  60 million people have been vaccinated plus another 28 million or so infected.  That's close to 100 million people that have (at least) some form of resistance to the virus; meaning that true herd immunity should already be "working" to an extent.  And true herd immunity works exponentially, meaning the drop in new infections should come rapidly.  

This is an educated guess on my part (done by statistical research) but if I'm correct, we should be almost out of this by the end of April.  We shall see.   :)

Infections are down because the threshold was significantly reduced on inauguration day.

23 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Infections are down because the threshold was significantly reduced on inauguration day.

Actually, new infection rates were at their all-time peak around inauguration day.  The lower rate of new infections is  directly correlated to the amount of people vaccinated; combined with the amount of people "already infected".  The lower rate of infections is showing that "herd immunity" is working.  

Edited by Ace Nova
  • Haha 1

Well, since Texas had no power or cable last week, I did forget about covid for a few days.  Infection and hospitals numbers are down here, but Texas has a lot of people getting their covid shots. My parents get their second shot in two weeks. Hopefully, in a few months everyone will get at least one shot and make the "herd" immunity.

Hope all of you are doing well and will get the covid vaccines soon too.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Any evidence for this? 

Pretty sure that it's a reference to the conspiracy theory by certain far-right extremists that think the virus would "magically disappear" soon after Biden was elected.  Basically, the virus was a conspiracy to hurt the economy and Trump's re-election chances.  And apparently it wasn't enough since it took  "massive voter fraud" in order for Biden to win.  Smh. :facepalm:

Edited by Ace Nova
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well, since Texas had no power or cable last week, I did forget about covid for a few days.  Infection and hospitals numbers are down here, but Texas has a lot of people getting their covid shots. My parents get their second shot in two weeks. Hopefully, in a few months everyone will get at least one shot and make the "herd" immunity.

Hope all of you are doing well and will get the covid vaccines soon too.

Felt so bad for everybody in Texas. 

What did you and your family do for heat? Glad your power is back on! 

3 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Pretty sure that it's a reference to the conspiracy theory by certain far-right extremists that think the virus would "magically disappear" soon after Biden was elected.  Basically, the virus was a conspiracy to hurt the economy and Trump's re-election chances.  And apparently it wasn't enough since it took  "massive voter fraud" in order for Biden to win.  Smh. :facepalm:

Are you suggesting that the who and cdc didn't change the threshold of what a positive test is? 

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Provide a link.  

https://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-2021-who-information-notice-for-ivd-users-2020-05?s=04

It only took the WHO 10 months to realize that the PCR test is deeply flawed.

Do you wear 2 mask when you leave your house for "essential" items?

Edit- it is now safe to wear a wet face mask because it was reported in a study 😄

https://ottawasun.com/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/it-sounds-gross-but-the-humidity-in-your-mask-is-good-for-you/wcm/a61e7fb3-9f8e-4651-8442-d3f42212d3a6

Edited by Coma16

3 hours ago, Coma16 said:

https://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-2021-who-information-notice-for-ivd-users-2020-05?s=04

It only took the WHO 10 months to realize that the PCR test is deeply flawed.

If you are correct that "infections are down" because of a shift in how test results are interpreted which was announced on January 20 (inauguration day), then we would expect to see a break in graph over number of cases on that specific date. No such break is obvious when looking on data for USA or Canada. In fact, the fall in cases started well before January 20 and there is no visible change on inauguration day.  This suggests that you are incorrect.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

If you are correct that "infections are down" because of a shift in how test results are interpreted which was announced on January 20 (inauguration day), then we would expect to see a break in graph over number of cases on that specific date. No such break is obvious when looking on data for USA or Canada. In fact, the fall in cases started well before January 20 and there is no visible change on inauguration day.  This suggests that you are incorrect.

This.  Thank you. 

On 2/20/2021 at 1:28 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

Felt so bad for everybody in Texas. 

What did you and your family do for heat? Glad your power is back on! 

We had to wear a lot of clothes. Even the heaters were electric and my house and my parents are all electric. Due to the cold we didn't lose any food but had to eat sandwiches and fruit. Could not cook anything. Some cities in Texas are still without electricity and Texas is on one grid.  I'm glad it's over, but I know so many people are still without heat and some homes had water damage due to pipes bursting. My parents had to wait 3 days for a plumber to come and fix their shower and toilets. We had to buy tons of bottled water for toilets and wash. Once the power came on Thursday then we could heat the water.

Never have we experienced anything like this. You don't realize once you lose your heat and it goes down to 0 degrees how damn cold you can be. We mostly stayed in bed to be warm. Thanks for asking. This week Texas temps are in the 60's. The snow is all melted. You'd never know we had two snow storms back to back.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Some moron on CNN said the virus would be gone by April! I just laughed and laughed. This virus might show down, but it'll be here for a long time to come.

Best thing doctors are saying is still do what we've been doing and by the end of July anyone who wants a vaccine can get one and I suggest everyone gets one. This will be a yearly thing just like the flu shots and all the other vaccines we have. Better to be safe than sorry.

43 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If the concerts turn into riots or protests we can ignore COVID restrictions. 

I have two concerts this year. Motley Crue in August and KISS in October. Not sure I'll be attending either one. I still don't think being in a crowd of thousands will be safe even through the end of this year. And in normal times any rock concerts is full of nut jobs, hate to say it, but when they drink they get super stupid. Wish Texas would make pot legal. Rather deal with those fans than drunks.

8 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Texas is doing a great job on giving out the moderna vaccine. My parents are scheduled to get their second shot next week.

My mom's friend and her husband got their second shot and had no side effects. Hope my mom and dad do as well.

They are very lucky! Mine made me very sick but no regrets.

• Thanks 1

My mom and dad are getting their second shot on Thursday. My mom and dad feel the same way. No worries about the after effects, they just want to get it overwith.

My brother and I have to get our vaccines as soon as they are available. I hope they work the children's one out soon. My daughter is 10 and I want her to feel and be safe as soon as possible.

Sorry you got very sick, but glad you are okay now. 

• Thanks 1

Gov Abbott of Texas had a press conference in Lubbok Texas. After he and some other guy got through with kissing each other's asses, he said that on Wednesday, no more mandatory masks and businesses can open 100% capacity. He said it's up to the businesses to decide on masks. He thinks because there are vaccines and the rate of the virus is under 15% it is now safe to stop with the CDC is still saying to do. Wear masks, distance and wash your hands a lot. 

What a damn moron. The bottom line is more people will get the virus and die and then if it goes over 15% he will put the mandates back. What a fuck up! How many people have to get this virus for him to realize it's not slowing down nor is it going away anytime soon. Gtting back to normal is going to cost more precious Texas lives since they are so damn proud of being a Texan! Unreal. He's as stupid as the Gov of Florida too. My mom's cousin lives there. Still hasen't gotten her 1 vaccine and she's 67 and they had over 7000 people get the virus today. I guess as long as states make money they don't care who dies, which is usually the poorest of people. 

Who votes for these morons? This makes me sick.

• Like 1

Also there is no official cure for the sick with the virus so they continue to die or possibly get better, but still have long lasting effects.

One Texas man got the virus back in March of last year. He's lungs are super weak and still can't get he's strength back. he needs oxygen to walk more than a mile or more. He told the news if there are still people who don't believe this virus is real, look at him. 

Now the CDC stays to keep the mandates, yet Texas and Florida govs to name a few are taking away the masks and opening up restaurants and bars to 100%. Here we go again! Meanwhile, those variants are still coming and doctors are still not sure these vaccines will stop this virus.