Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

3 hours ago, gt72 said:

Just got the first dose of moderna vaccine yesterday.Arm aches a tad and a slight headache today but from my understanding the second shot can do a bit of a number in you for a couple of days 

Great news. 

My parents are still waiting. Gov Abbott said the vaccine should be given to anyone who wants it, but Texas is still waiting for more vaccines.  What a joke! Nothing seems to be going right since this virus came to be.

The AstraZeneca vaccine has already been delayed. For the first time since WW 2 we have a curfew now and as a result there have been riots every evening all over the country with a lot of violence, worst ones in 40 years. A very shitty start of the year, indeed.

Texas is supposed to get tons of vaccines next week. Walmart said they were getting the vaccine in February. 

My parents are just waiting to sign up or hear something from the Garland Health Department. I know people who have gotten the first shot and feel great. Just wish it could go faster. 

Some doctors aren't sure the vaccines that are out now will help againist the new strain. Just great. I really think this virus has a brain and seems to be one step ahead of us.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2021/01/31/exp-gps-0131-fareeds-take.cnn

Good points raised by Fareed Zakaria about the ability of vaccines to get us past the current pandemic.

Vaccinating only rich countries and allowing poorer countries to take longer to vaccinate increases the likelihood that the virus will mutate further in the poorer countries and be exported to richer countries where the vaccines are less effective.  

• Like 1

I hope the vaccines get out quicker since now with the mutant strain these vaccines are as good at protecting us against it. 

The news said kids under 12 won't get a vaccine until late this year or next year. I'm worried about my daughter. I wish she could get it quicker, but maybe if teachers can get vaccinated soon it will help keep the kids safe too.

It's almost a year since this virus and it seems to be going slower now that we actually have a vaccine, but can't get it out quickly. What a mess! Waiting for hours on line to be told they are out, are making many people decide to now bother anymore and that's not a good thing.

Dr. fauci keeps saying get the vaccine and I keep saying "where the fuck is it:"

On 1/30/2021 at 2:52 PM, SoulMonster said:

No. 

Okay, I guess not, but it seems to still be one step ahead of us. You have to agree to that.

5 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I hope the vaccines get out quicker since now with the mutant strain these vaccines are as good at protecting us against it. 

The news said kids under 12 won't get a vaccine until late this year or next year. I'm worried about my daughter. I wish she could get it quicker, but maybe if teachers can get vaccinated soon it will help keep the kids safe too.

It's almost a year since this virus and it seems to be going slower now that we actually have a vaccine, but can't get it out quickly. What a mess! Waiting for hours on line to be told they are out, are making many people decide to now bother anymore and that's not a good thing.

Dr. fauci keeps saying get the vaccine and I keep saying "where the fuck is it:"

Okay, I guess not, but it seems to still be one step ahead of us. You have to agree to that.

not sure if your daughter is healthy or not, but if it helps here's a good article talking about how few children have died from Covid https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/12/29/covid-2million-children-122920

my whole family had covid back in August (kids aged 8 and 3) and the kids and I had absolutely no symptoms.  my wife had the equivalent of a sinus infection for 3 days.  so in the majority of cases, covid isnt bad.  but it's still unsettling for sure.

I have always taken Vitamin D, prebiotic and antioxidants, so perhaps that boosted my immune  system to fight Covid off.  but who knows for sure?  

I work in Healthcare and multiple physicians have told me that obese people are doing the worst with Covid.  Could be many reasons for this including lung capacity, comorbidities and poor immune system from bad nutrition.   

I got my blood work done at the end of December and still had antibodies.  I got the vaccine 2 weeks ago (first dose).  no clue how the vaccine will protect against the mutated strains, but I guess we will see.  new strains haven't been shown to be any more deadly than the original,  correct?

Edited by Chester 524

12 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

new strains haven't been shown to be any more deadly than the original,  correct?

There's been some reporting that the new strain originating out of the UK is 30 percent more deadly.  That doesn't mean it is, but we'll have to wait to see once more time and numbers come in.

I believe it's also been reported that the mutation found in South Africa is perhaps a bit more infectious and possibly deadly.  It does seem to be less hindered by the vaccines, however.

------------------------------------------------------------

I watched Bill Maher's latest episode and it's disappointing that he had on Bret Weinstein and his wife, spouting disproven nonsense that the virus was made in the lab.  Both are biologists, but neither are epidemiologists or virologists.  Their argument is based largely on the discredit report pushed by Steve Bannon of all people.

It would be one thing for Maher to provide a platform for both arguments, but he doesn't.  He allows only the former professors turned culture warriors crusaders to present their case with zero pushback or any credible response from people who know better.  

https://news.yahoo.com/bill-maher-pushes-bonkers-steve-050238602.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALSQC6CYlM5c_k-6QQCvFxjNtw6v1txMdc9AIiTDTs-tcKcqYxGVt0mR3sTqSu9qhPfyvxb0IxXuEDlcXBJpKVtrbHCm7nOAyeAjnz9hmZ_1JWitDClZdP_XoLkFDAQGv4MlQDh6_4JkQC4Mb9GzLYIsMvxx6bfW4qs2_fTjUnZe

On 2/1/2021 at 9:09 AM, SAU3R said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/31/world/europe/captain-tom-moore-uk.html

Captain Tom Moore is hospitalized with Covid

https://news.sky.com/story/captain-sir-tom-moore-dies-aged-100-after-contracting-coronavirus-and-pneumonia-12205073?fbclid=IwAR32WtHpL7DOEv0ITs8jc4Qm37kiYl0IKjI2rBmyNBO7J8GR9yeV1PB9PP0

wow that didn’t take long :( 

R.I.P. Sir Tom Moore 

Edited by SAU3R

On 1/23/2021 at 2:49 PM, lame ass security said:

"Living your life and not letting covid take your freedoms away" sounds great in a vacuum. But while you're going on your merry way being irresponsible it effects everyone else. Your argument is so old and tired. 

I agree. With this situation,NOW, we know the economy has to totally open for most things, limited crowds. Precautions have to be taken.

OMG, Next month will be one year.

47 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I today read that an 96 years old woman get the vaccine. She saved of the Auswichz camps. She live in UK

Great news for that woman to survive the camps.  She deserved that vaccine.

My parents are getting their first covid vaccines on Thursday. My mom's friend went to the same place and she said it was organized and went very quickly. Everyone has an email and a special number. Finally!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Great news for that woman to survive the camps.  She deserved that vaccine.

My parents are getting their first covid vaccines on Thursday. My mom's friend went to the same place and she said it was organized and went very quickly. Everyone has an email and a special number. Finally!

Good luck to your parents!! 

9 hours ago, downzy said:

I watched Bill Maher's latest episode and it's disappointing that he had on Bret Weinstein and his wife, spouting disproven nonsense that the virus was made in the lab.  Both are biologists, but neither are epidemiologists or virologists.  Their argument is based largely on the discredit report pushed by Steve Bannon of all people.

It would be one thing for Maher to provide a platform for both arguments, but he doesn't.  He allows only the former professors turned culture warriors crusaders to present their case with zero pushback or any credible response from people who know better.  

https://news.yahoo.com/bill-maher-pushes-bonkers-steve-050238602.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALSQC6CYlM5c_k-6QQCvFxjNtw6v1txMdc9AIiTDTs-tcKcqYxGVt0mR3sTqSu9qhPfyvxb0IxXuEDlcXBJpKVtrbHCm7nOAyeAjnz9hmZ_1JWitDClZdP_XoLkFDAQGv4MlQDh6_4JkQC4Mb9GzLYIsMvxx6bfW4qs2_fTjUnZe

I'm a fan of Bill Maher but he's been pulling this bullshit for a while. Borderline antivax nonsense that is effectively "teach the controversy" in all but name. Was really disappointed when I saw that shit this week.

12 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'm a fan of Bill Maher but he's been pulling this bullshit for a while. Borderline antivax nonsense that is effectively "teach the controversy" in all but name. Was really disappointed when I saw that shit this week.

It's almost as if he's two different people or has two different shows.  The first segment of ten minute, one-on-one, interviews are too often trainwrecks that showcase's Maher's worst tendencies.  Then when he joins the panel he mellows out a bit and becomes a bit more of a human being that's capable of being an equal opportunity critic.  His final rant on Waxman and the ineffectiveness of the performative progressivism is Maher at his best.  It's just a shame he doesn't apply the same kind of critical analysis to those who come on his show (particularly if they're right-wing culture warriors) as he does with the worst elements of the left.  

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

Data from Oxford scientists re the Astra-Zeneca vaccine shows that it's about 67% effective at preventing transmission. If true this is massive news.

Irrevelant as the virus will now be in the library reading books and teaching itself how to overcome this latest challenge. 

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Ratam said:

Good luck to your parents!! 

Thanks so much.  Glad they finally got word. Tomorrow is the big day. I hope we all can get the vaccine soon and get rid of this terrible virus. Too many people are sick and dying.

53 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Irrevelant as the virus will now be in the library reading books and teaching itself how to overcome this latest challenge. 

I know right? I too think this virus is a super virus and will continue to change every chance it gets, but getting a vaccine will hopefully curb a person from getting very sick or dying. Let's hope so anyway, but who knows?

20 hours ago, Dazey said:

Guess since Trump lost the election, Bill has to move on to some other shit. usually he makes sense, but I guess he's open to everything now.