UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

I’m not a regular contributor to this forum but this era was the one I connect with from my childhood and such specific memories that I guess it doesn’t quite hit the spot.

My connection to it is the epic music videos, 92 MTV Awards performance, Tokyo VHS tapes (though there’d be murder if they double dipped that in this set), Making F’n Videos, the half and half split art on the tour shirts, finding out there was an unreleased GnR song on the pinball machine at the local go kart track, silly things like associated the album with the cassette version of the cover art as I wasn’t buying CDs until 4 years after the release. If they are including trinkets then replicas of the illusions drapes they had on each side of the stage might have been fun.

One thing that works is the 91 performance inclusion after seeing it interpolated into the YCBM video all those years ago, but have to admit the preview on Spotify is a bit rough!

Would have loved to see this be comprehensive and timelined like the Metallica Black box set starting with the 89 Chicago demos, going through main session alt takes and mixes, Ain’t Goin’ Down, including Spaghetti and cover song outtakes like how AFD tied in Lies stuff, etc.. but looking forward to the full Vegas set as I loved the live Yesterdays on the bside of my cassingle! Axl in great voice on that performance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, EvH said:

We don't really know yet but to be honest, I don't think the new masters will be better than the old ones, and they will probably be a bit more compressed.

Even the MFSL gold discs, which do sound better than the common CDs, are not that much better so you might be all set with what you have, for the main albums!

Thanks! I don't think I'll be purchasing this then ... The bootlegs have been more than satisfactory over the years 

1 hour ago, MrMojo said:

Do you need to buy the cd and vinyl to get all tracks?

No, If you buy CDs [The Super Deluxe Box 7 CDs + Blu Ray] + [UYI I 2 CDs] + [UYI II 2 CDs]

if you buy vinyls: each products has a vinyl option

actually there are THREE products. But you can buy Super Deluxe Box and buy only the missing songs each. I think on Amazon Music you can download each track individually,.. London, Paris and Rio

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, EvH said:

Re : November Rain 2022, Steven Wilson has confirmed the below :

https://twitter.com/swremixes/status/1572349924410286081

“The new 2022 version is the same performance as the original but with newly recorded orchestration replacing the sampled sounds used on the original mix".

He mixed the new version .

Interesting. People on here are still going to argue with each other over what was re recorded and what wasn't though 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I think if a demo of You Could Be Mine or early version of Perfect Crime, etc., were to be released, that would have been on the AFD box set (similarly to the piano and acoustic versions of November Rain and early demos of Back of Bitch) since they date from that period, so I didn't expect those. I also didn't expect any West Arkeen demos (Crash Diet etc.), because they are not GN'R songs - they are not owned by GN'R. I did expect Ain't Goin' Down though (although it would be the version we have) and some outtakes.

Do you think that they just don't have those demos then? Like they don't exist anymore or are lost?

38 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I prefer live stuff to demos, but I'm surprised they didn't at least include Ain't Goin' Down on a 7" vinyl.

Ooh yes, that would've been a great idea.

They could've included the full Mates rehearsal with Steven, that would've been cool. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Is there any reason why this isn’t showing for preorder on Amazon? Just thinking about potential vouchers I can use.l to minimise the damage the 12lp set would cost?! 🤣

Not sure. It’s possible that it won’t be distributed like Hard Skool wasnt 

GNR10 still works as a discount code in the store if anyone is jumping in early in this

Edited by guitarpatch

48 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In regards to the 14 Years outtake with the long outro, I didn't expect that either, because it was probably what Axl was joking about here:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1852-2012-11-24-the-joint-las-vegas-usa#28389

I guess it's different strokes for different folks, etc. I remember when the AFD box set was released there were many people complaining about the lack of live stuff and about the demos included, because it was stuff that had been out there for ages, and there were only two "uninteresting" unheard demos (The Plague and New Work Tune). Now people complain about the opposite, only live stuff and no demos that we've already heard. Of course they could have had both in both box sets, but well...

We  have also been asking for pro-shots from that era for so long, people were saying that it would only be Tokyo blah blah blah, and now that one is released that we only had a low quality video bootleg of, we don't want it? (although yeah, it's lame that someone has to buy the whole thing to get it).

I can understand that. But I expected at least a high quality demo of Ain't Going Down and Just Another Sunday or demos of some of the songs included in the boxset. For me it makes no sense to have more than 1 live show in the boxset. Ritz 91 or Rio would have been enough for me. But the demos not being there is a huge turn off for me, and for that reason I'm not gonna buy it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Do you think that they just don't have those demos then? Like they don't exist anymore or are lost?

I think it's possible, yes. Although I would imagine that Clink would have kept some kind of archive (according to Marc Canter, he had kept the tryout session of SOYL that was released - partially re-recorded or not - on the AFD box set) but that might probably be proper recordings and not demos. A lot of stuff was in the hands of various people associated with the band that was subsequently lost, sold, shared etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

I can understand that. But I expected at least a high quality demo of Ain't Going Down and Just Another Sunday or demos of some of the songs included in the boxset. For me it makes no sense to have more than 1 live show in the boxset. Ritz 91 or Rio would have been enough for me. But the demos not being there is a huge turn off for me, and for that reason I'm not gonna buy it.

Well, regarding Just Another Sunday, like I said earlier, GN'R probably don't even own it (although it's possible that rehearsals of it existed, since it had been considered for UYI for a moment there). As for Ain't Goin' Down, yeah, I don't know why they didn't include it, even though, unlike many people, I didn't expect it to be released as a promo single for many reasons.

Re: the live shows: as I said, it's different strokes for different folks. A lot of other people would want as many shows as possible, so the more the better.

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think it's possible, yes. Although I would imagine that Clink would have kept some kind of archive (according to Marc Canter, he had kept the tryout session of SOYL that was released - partially re-recorded or not - on the AFD box set) but that might probably be proper recordings and not demos. A lot of stuff was in the hands of various people associated with the band that was subsequently lost, sold, shared etc.

Naa... Everyone has heard the QSound mixes by now... They're widely available. I refuse to believe they don't have the demo of "Ain't Going Down" or some of the demos. They even retrieved a bunch of tapes recently. It was talked about here and it was from that era. There was even a picture of it somewhere, of someone that returned it to the band. Slash teased that he had tapes with the songs without Axl's piano parts. And they could have just reached collectors that have some of those tapes as well. On the top of my head, I remember there was this Australian guy from HTGTH that had some tapes from Niven from that era.

I don't think that was the problem to be honest. I think they just decided to go in a different direction with this boxset. 

Edited by Propaganda

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well, regarding Just Another Sunday, like I said earlier, GN'R probably don't even own it (although it's possible that rehearsals of it existed, since it had been considered for UYI for a moment there). As for Ain't Goin' Down, yeah, I don't know why they didn't include it, even though, unlike many people, I didn't expect it to be released as a promo single for many reasons.

Re: the live shows: as I said, it's different strokes for different folks. A lot of other people would want as many shows as possible, so the more the better.

I never thought they’d ever release any of those demos with that drum machine anyways. That stuff was never meant to be heard. If they even have a 1st generation copy of it  

If anything, maybe some alternate takes. However with how those sessions were rushed when they brought in Sorum, maybe there just isn’t much to scrap 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

Naa... Everyone has heard the QSound mixes by now... They're widely available. I refuse to believe they don't have the demo of "Ain't Going Down" or some of the demos. They even retrieved a bunch of tapes recently. It was talked about here and it was from that era. There was even a picture of it somewhere, of someone that returned it to the band. Slash teased that he had tapes with the songs without Axl's piano parts. And they could have just reached collectors that have some of those tapes as well. On the top of my head, I remember there was this Australian guy from HTGTH that had some tapes from Niven from that era.

I don't think that was the problem to be honest. I think they just decided to go in a different direction with this boxset. 

I believe 3 versions of AGD were recorded, the first for the AFD, the second for the Illusions and a third version that sounds different for the pinball machine which in my opinion is the best of them all, but this version of the pinball machine was recorded after 1993

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

What tapes are you referring to?

Some years ago a photo showed up here, of someone who had returned some dat Tapes and material to the band, that was found somewhere. I remember seeing this picture here with everything pilled up. But I have no idea where to find that picture. 

2 hours ago, MrMojo said:

Pity the lack of 93 stuff. It's good it's being released but just a little underwhelming. Also, does troccoli still sell stuff?

yeah, 93' being ignored also bums me out a little... even more after the saskatoon leak. My god THE GARDEN proshot was amazing :drool: The entire concert was actually so tight.

• Like 4