Who could produce a live sound GnR album?

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Agreed, I like it! I wish the backing vocals were a bit louder, but that's it. I like it.

I do dispair at the over-analysing that goes into every single beat around here sometimes. It's music, just turn it up and enjoy it for what it is! 🙄

Steve Hoffman is a well-known mastering engineer.  The Steve Hoffman forum is one of the largest music forums on the internet, with hundreds of thousands of users.  There are plenty of people out there who care.

That's all good and well that these types of things don't bother you.  If you can crank it up and not worry about it, I guess you're lucky, in a sense.

That doesn't dismiss or negate the fact that these things exist.  Music recording is part science and part art, and there are definitely a million small choices made that can affect the end result.

2 minutes ago, Majestic Beast said:

Should try Sneap from Judas Priest for the production,clean,modern,heavy as should be.Or Bob Erzin maybe.

I know Caram is just going to end up just stitching this together, but, in this hypothetical conversation...THIS!

Sneap is perfect.  Can't believe I hadn't thought of that.  Great call!

16 minutes ago, Majestic Beast said:

Should try Sneap from Judas Priest for the production,clean,modern,heavy as should be.Or Bob Erzin maybe.

I’m pretty sure that one is a non-starter after the CD fiasco where he told Axl there was basically no good tracks in what he had produced so far…which as we know via the Village sessions as utter shite.

Edited by DTJ80

The last 2 or 3 Slash albums have had obscenely smushed and compressed sound and I hope whoever is involved with those is not allowed anywhere near GNR tracks, but both Absurd and Hardskool gave into the loudness war so I don't have much hope on that front. 

46 minutes ago, Stro said:

both Absurd and Hardskool gave into the loudness war so I don't have much hope on that front. 

So surprised, especially after Chinese Democracy was one of the few albums of that era to push back against the trend.

Even Bob Ludwig is on record as saying how impressed he was with Axl for making that decision.

• Like 2

Please....

There is nothing to produce.

There were a few existing songs that they've managed to paste Slash/Duff over existing pasted, patched together pieces of crap.

Two have been released, there are 2-3 more already done which will follow when they want more money for another tour.  They are used as a counter offer for promotion/interviews/media appearances.

Stop kidding yourselves that a new album will come out.

There may be some sort of thing fusing 'new' (Silkworms, HardSkool, Perhaps, Atlas) with live songs, and reworked Chinese Songs with Axl's original vocal - but that's it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Considering Slash 4 sounds like it was recorded in a toilet, I’d say that no, Dave Cobb isn’t the guy. 

There’s only one producer who has managed to capture GN’R’s sound right, and that is Mike Clink. Get him back I say. 

Slash said the band all played together in the studio to get the live sound.

I watched his performance with my brother on the Jimmy Kimmel show and after a few minutes, if that, we had had enough. I just don't like Myles's K voice at all. it sounds like his whinny through the whole song and even Slash's solos don't have the same vibe as he with GNR.\

IF GNR do record a new album, I want all new material written by Slash, Duff and Axl. I want to see if the magic is still there between them?

5 hours ago, Jw224 said:

It's understandable if you don't care or notice stuff like that but it doesn't make it invalid or a non issue. Many people care about the sound quality of the music they are listening to, and Absurd and Hard Skool and the new Slash stuff sound like absolute garbage in that regard. I wouldn't describe it as over analysing. You really just need to listen to it to hear how it sounds. 

4 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Steve Hoffman is a well-known mastering engineer.  The Steve Hoffman forum is one of the largest music forums on the internet, with hundreds of thousands of users.  There are plenty of people out there who care.

That's all good and well that these types of things don't bother you.  If you can crank it up and not worry about it, I guess you're lucky, in a sense.

That doesn't dismiss or negate the fact that these things exist.  Music recording is part science and part art, and there are definitely a million small choices made that can affect the end result.

It's not that I don't notice or care – I do – but my god it gets done to death, over and over again. To the point where it's even getting done for things that don't even exist. The music is the art, it's made to be enjoyed or rejected for what it is as a finished piece.

Critique, analyse, whatever, I'm not against that idea, I just think sometimes it gets overdone, that's all

13 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Critique, analyse, whatever, I'm not against that idea, I just think sometimes it gets overdone, that's all

God bless you...You think it gets done to death over here you should go hang out over there for a while...yowza!

Anyway, you're off the hook, then.  Be glad you don't care.

I could make you a few lists if you'd rather not talk about this topic?   I kid, I kid;):lol:

Edited by oneway23

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Change the clickbait title.

I love how this board consists of one group of people who discuss topics such as this as though there actually is a plan in the works to record new material, and thus we should wonder about whom to bring in to produce it (to put the cart before the horse, as we say), and another group of people who choose to face reality and request changing nonsensically named fantasy world thread names.

34 minutes ago, Rodzilla72 said:

I love how this board consists of one group of people who discuss topics such as this as though there actually is a plan in the works to record new material, and thus we should wonder about whom to bring in to produce it (to put the cart before the horse, as we say), and another group of people who choose to face reality and request changing nonsensically named fantasy world thread names.

I blame the band for giving us so little to talk about all the time.  We've all driven each other mad.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

This could really be applied to the entire gnr section of the forum, let's be honest :lol:

But with this thread I had the feel more than usual that it was typed through Amazon Alexa from someone inside a straight jacket

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 1

• janrichmond changed the title to Who could produce a live sound GnR album?
9 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I’m pretty sure that one is a non-starter after the CD fiasco where he told Axl there was basically no good tracks in what he had produced so far…which as we know via the Village sessions as utter shite.

No, he said he had 2-3 good songs.  Which was correct.