The Spotify X-Files thread

8 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

Lol now that I think about it, it could be! this never ends!:lol:

And then again, these titles could have also been submitted by the label when the tracks leaked for the same reason (to prevent third parties from uploading them), so Spotify may have these data regardless of plans for a future release - although that wouldn't explain Cuban Skies... So yeah, it never ends :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

And then again, these titles could have also been submitted by the label when the tracks leaked for the same reason (to prevent third parties from uploading them), so Spotify may have these data regardless of plans for a future release - although that wouldn't explain Cuban Skies... So yeah, it never ends :lol:

It would really suck, while also remaining perfectly on-brand, for team GNR to have submitted these titles to Spotify for every reason *except* releasing said titles.👌🏼

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

It would really suck, while also remaining perfectly on-brand, for team GNR to have submitted these titles to Spotify for every reason *except* releasing said titles.👌🏼

In either case, the data about these titles must be in Spotify's system. All this couldn't have been caused only from people searching and Spotify crawling web content (there barely have been any news articles referencing these titles).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In either case, the data about these titles must be in Spotify's system. All this couldn't have been caused only from people searching and Spotify crawling web content (there barely have been any news articles referencing these titles).

If it was algorithmic then Oklahoma would be showing up in every country right now. And Going Down and Red Panda would’ve shown up by now. I’ve changed my stance back on the “it’s in the system” because of that guy who posted something from a Spotify higher up. And now they’re soundchecking what could be a new song? There’s too much smoke for there to be no fire. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

If it was algorithmic then Oklahoma would be showing up in every country right now. And Going Down and 

Why would it have to be in every country now? There can be regional limitations to the search. And why would Going Down and Red Panda have to show up? These are much harder searches to affect than Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why would it have to be in every country now? There can be regional limitations to the search. And why would Going Down and Red Panda have to show up? These are much harder searches to affect than Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace. 

I think that Perhaps is a hard search and showed up like 4 days after the first song, so why wouldn't red Panda or Going Down just appear right now that has passed more time between we start to say It than when the first result appear?

2 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

I think that Perhaps is a hard search and showed up like 4 days after the first song, so why wouldn't red Panda or Going Down just appear right now that has passed more time between we start to say It than when the first result appear?

I don't know. Maybe it isn't such a hard search. 

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Every country that shows anything period, like State of Grace, at least. GNR fans are going to be searching for Oklahoma in an unprecedented amount since its rumored to be the new song even if still not proven. 

I don't think Red Panda is as hard to sway as you've been saying to be honest with you. That movie is half a year old. And the film is called "Turning Red" and no character is named "Red Panda". If State of Grace can be affected, in my opinion, Red Panda should be too. But I think we just disagree when it comes to that so we don't need to keep going in circles.

My opinions are changing again mainly because of what was posted regarding the Spotify higher up, and less-so these things. Otherwise I think I would've stuck on team algorithim. But with that, and with the chance there's a new song being played that could be Oklahoma, now we are starting to get hints of life regarding new music.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’m gonna go with the “band submitted titles and working titles to Spotify as a third-party preventive measure and that’s it” theory.

Someone in the other thread (I think it was @Legendador) mentioned that people have tried to upload the leaks on Spotify and got blocked. And I think that's what he meant: he wasn't talking about people using Spotify to listen to leaked tracks that they have stored locally, but people using their Spotify account as musicians/bands to actually upload the files in the system. So yeah, I think that's it and Spotify wouldn't need to pick up data from files stored locally since it already has the data.

• Like 1

3 minuti fa, Blackstar ha detto:

Qualcuno nell'altro thread (credo lo fosse@Leggenda) ha detto che le persone hanno provato a caricare le perditempo su Spotify e sono state bloccate. E che fosse quello che intendeva pensare dire: non stava parlando di persone che ascoltavano Spotify per ascoltare brani trapelati che hanno archiviato localmente, ma di persone che utilizzavano il loro account Spotify come musicisti/band caricare per eseguire i file nel sistema. Quindi sì, penso che sia tutto e Spotify non hai bisogno di raccogliere dati dai file archiviati localmente poiché ha i dati.

This makes a lot of sense.

But why is it only happening now, if the losses are at least from 2019?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Alright, no screen shots so you will just have to trust me.

I did the "I can't find the new single Atlas Shrugged - what's happening?" routine. Here's the first reply from Nikita K at Spotify Customer Support:

"Got it. It was presented as one of unreleased songs, so it may be label choice - artists and labels decide if that's available on Spotify. Let me check if we have additional info on this". 

I then asked what he/she meant with "presented as unreleased song"? to which Nikita dropped the bombshell, "Oh, I've personally been a big fan of GnR - and this was basically an unreleased song from Chinese Democracy :)"

I then said that I thought it was released already, hoping he/she would say it would be released on a specific date (but obviously they don't have this information and Nikita was way too professional to disclose such info anyway). Nikita then stated that nothing is wrong: "Seems like there is no error on this part - this must be a label / artist decision. If that changes any time in the future - the song might become available, but we have no say in this unfortunately".

I pressed on by asking, "Do you think it is about to be released, and that's why it is in your system, or just that Spotify keeps info on unreleased songs?" hoping to get some information on how Spotify works. Before Nikita responded, I phrased the question a bit differentely: "Could it be that Spotify itself has added info about this song to its database or must it be the label/artist?"

Nikita established her professionality and also suggested an algorithm thing (without me having suggested it first) while at the same time suggesting we should be on a lookout for new music: "We at customer support have no information if it is about tobe released - my best guess would be that people try to find that song by Guns and Roses, and due to sheer amount of requests it might be showing that. Can't say if that's why it works - but I'd suggest to be on a lookout!"

I didn't give up: "heh. But unlikely that Spotify itself adds info on unreleased songs to its databases? So either label/artist or some search algorithm quirk?"

Reply fron Nikita: "I'd love to tell you here for sure - I don't know. I'd definitely say that labels/artists have the final say in this - we just provide the platform :)".

I was undaunted: "So you think the label/artist have added info on Atlas Shrugged, most likely because it will be released?"

Then, unfortunately, "No, it's a bit more likely to be an algorithm. can't say for sure though. Would love to give you more details if I had them. :)"

Sending I couldn't get more info: "I suppose we will have to wait and see :). Thank you, you have been both helpful and professional :)".

Nikita: "Appreciatr your patience and your curiosity - I'd personally love to see that track on Spotify as well :)" Chinese Democracy is my fav album of GnR personally :)) Take great care of yourself *heart*"

Yes, she added a heart at the end. :wub:

I appreciate you asking them but the customer service has been kinda unsure. Every rep people asked last week had different answers. Some algorithim, some not. I think the guy posted in this thread the other day was talking to a higher-up. I think the thing is right now is no one, at all, knows.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I did the "I can't find the new single Atlas Shrugged - what's happening?" routine. Here's the first reply from Nikita K at Spotify Customer Support:

"Got it. It was presented as one of unreleased songs, so it may be label choice - artists and labels decide if that's available on Spotify. Let me check if we have additional info on this". 

I then asked what he/she meant with "presented as unreleased song"? to which Nikita dropped the bombshell, "Oh, I've personally been a big fan of GnR - and this was basically an unreleased song from Chinese Democracy :)"

I then said that I thought it was released already, hoping he/she would say it would be released on a specific date (but obviously they don't have this information and Nikita was way too professional to disclose such info anyway). Nikita then stated that nothing is wrong: "Seems like there is no error on this part - this must be a label / artist decision. If that changes any time in the future - the song might become available, but we have no say in this unfortunately".

I pressed on by asking, "Do you think it is about to be released, and that's why it is in your system, or just that Spotify keeps info on unreleased songs?" hoping to get some information on how Spotify works. Before Nikita responded, I phrased the question a bit differentely: "Could it be that Spotify itself has added info about this song to its database or must it be the label/artist?"

Nikita established her professionality and also suggested an algorithm thing (without me having suggested it first) while at the same time suggesting we should be on a lookout for new music: "We at customer support have no information if it is about tobe released - my best guess would be that people try to find that song by Guns and Roses, and due to sheer amount of requests it might be showing that. Can't say if that's why it works - but I'd suggest to be on a lookout!"

I didn't give up: "heh. But unlikely that Spotify itself adds info on unreleased songs to its databases? So either label/artist or some search algorithm quirk?"

Reply fron Nikita: "I'd love to tell you here for sure - I don't know. I'd definitely say that labels/artists have the final say in this - we just provide the platform :)".

I was undaunted: "So you think the label/artist have added info on Atlas Shrugged, most likely because it will be released?"

Then, unfortunately, "No, it's a bit more likely to be an algorithm. can't say for sure though. Would love to give you more details if I had them. :)"

Sending I couldn't get more info: "I suppose we will have to wait and see :). Thank you, you have been both helpful and professional :)".

Nikita: "Appreciatr your patience and your curiosity - I'd personally love to see that track on Spotify as well :)" Chinese Democracy is my fav album of GnR personally :)) Take great care of yourself *heart*"

Basically she don't know if It is an algorithm or It is going to be released no?

11 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I appreciate you asking them but the customer service has been kinda unsure. Every rep people asked last week had different answers. Some algorithim, some not. I think the guy posted in this thread the other day was talking to a higher-up. I think the thing is right now is no one, at all, knows.

Yeah, just seems to be the same response everyone else got but worded differently tbh.

Aka "I don't know but here's what it could be". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

We at customer support have no information if it is about tobe released

I was expecting this at some point of the convo, thanks for asking @SoulMonster 

Well even if I worked at customer support I will tell the users that it's just the algorithm. Most of us will do right? They don't have the songs in their system (yet?) either. 

Lets wait for more info from the higher ups, if HollyWoodRose can get it, of course.

But we should also keep speculating (without trying to find a definitive answer we can't get or until something like "Axl's Taco Bell meal" shows up) on this subject since the album thread is back to being absolute shit!:D 

For the record I still doubt The General or Zodiac are still called like that, but I also don't believe in the algorithm, so it's really confusing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

For the record I still doubt The General or Zodiac are still called like that, but I also don't believe in the algorithm, so it's really confusing.

I don't think that it's *only* algorithmic, either - meaning that I don't think the algorithm would make a connection between these titles and GN'R "on its own" if there were no data in the system.

So it could be a combination:

- The band/label has submitted these titles/working titles (not the tracks themselves) to streaming platforms as a preventive measure for potential uploads by third parties, so these data are in Spotify's system.

- Then the Spotify algorithm has this function that, unlike other streaming platforms, allows these data to appear in some way in search results under certain circumstances (e.g. many search sessions).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Wonder if she's a member here :lol:

• Haha 3