Ritz 1991 Blu-Ray Review

14 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

How could axl finish the concert with a broken foot, walking and dancing like nothing had happened?:cry:

I don't know about that, he's obviously feeling it when he sits on the monitors at the beginning of Patience. There's a couple moments throughout the show where it seems to bother him, but like tpda said, adrenaline and substances probably helped!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The solo of DTJ and The ending of PC oh My god. Slash is insane. You can't have Slash and Axl Rose in the same band come on ! Epic 

26 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

How could axl finish the concert with a broken foot, walking and dancing like nothing had happened?:cry:

I think it's called cocaine

Edited by agustingloger

4 hours ago, bojan said:

Anyone else noticed about 1:00:17 during YCBM bottom part of Axl's mikestand flying across the stage 🙂

Noticed that, he’s lucky no one was there. I always wondered how he didn’t hit people through the entire illusion tour the way he threw it. I always liked that he did it though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nasty Bronchitis said:

Second time i have seen and listened Izzy playing a wah pedal.

Makes that bit of Estranged sound very "All Along The Watchtower" which I thought was really cool.

Love the spontaneity of the show.

Does anybody else know if there were other gigs where they went soft on the outro of Paradise City like that? It sounds great that way. Really effective for putting it mid set like that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Makes that bit of Estranged sound very "All Along The Watchtower" which I thought was really cool.

Love the spontaneity of the show.

Does anybody else know if there were other gigs where they went soft on the outro of Paradise City like that? It sounds great that way. Really effective for putting it mid set like that.

Also proof that you can play PC anywhere in the set and still be ok. The half time was cool!

Listening to the show now reminded me of a comment on here last week about the 06 tour having songs that that people didn't know in it. Just wondering were people complaining that they played a bunch of new songs that nobody knew, I highly doubt it considering the anticipation for new music at the time. Great energy. Duff just jumped off the stage at the end of PC, that was pretty cool! 

Reminding what I like about GNR☺️🤘🤘☺️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Listening to the show now reminded me of a comment on here last week about the 06 tour having songs that that people didn't know in it. Just wondering were people complaining that they played a bunch of new songs that nobody knew, I highly doubt it considering the anticipation for new music at the time. Great energy. Duff just jumped off the stage at the end of PC, that was pretty cool! 

The audiences mostly contained proper fans so I don't think there were a lot of complaining about new songs. Still, for the band it is always harder to play songs the audiences don't know because there will be less singing along. The band commented upon this and you can read about in this chapter where I write about the entire "warm-up tour": (69) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM (a-4-d.com)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

The audiences mostly contained proper fans so I don't think there were a lot of complaining about new songs. Still, for the band it is always harder to play songs the audiences don't know because there will be less singing along. The band commented upon this and you can read about in this chapter where I write about the entire "warm-up tour": (69) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM (a-4-d.com)

You still hate Bad Obsession after seeing it in this show??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Bad Obsession here is almost like a different song, totally love it! 

With Izzy everything was so much cooler. If he came back now it probably wouldn't make much difference since they all lost their swagger, but back in the day he was super important, imo.

Yeah Izzy is just in the back playing along, there's parts he plays where you can tell he doesn't really know the part fully but he's strumming along and it's a great counter to the rest of the bands tightness. 

If he came back he could make a difference if he was the only other guitarist with Slash again, I don't think that's on the cards obviously. I just thought he was so cool throughout, and loved him piping in on vocals in the background. I think they should pay him whatever he feels fair and get him back involved on some sort semi-regular to permanent basis.

• Like 1

I haven't gotten my Super Deluxe CD set yet (due November 21st), but like almost everyone else here, I've been watching the show on the Tube.

It's pretty magnificent, I must say. Slash is a monster in this show.

Concerts like this one perfectly illustrate why Guns N' Roses could not succeed without Axl and Slash together. It's like Page/Plant in Led Zeppelin, Jagger/Richards in the Rolling Stones, and Daltrey/Townsend in The Who. Some bands just don't work without that 1-2 punch, and Guns was/is one of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah Izzy is just in the back playing along, there's parts he plays where you can tell he doesn't really know the part fully but he's strumming along and it's a great counter to the rest of the bands tightness. 

If he came back he could make a difference if he was the only other guitarist with Slash again, I don't think that's on the cards obviously. I just thought he was so cool throughout, and loved him piping in on vocals in the background. I think they should pay him whatever he feels fair and get him back involved on some sort semi-regular to permanent basis.

Izzy strumming during KOHD with a cigarette in his strumming hand...

I dunno why its cool, but it is.  

• Like 2

This gig shows a band exited to play new songs, not worn down by years of touring and playing the same set list every night. At point's it feels like it could fall apart a bit, like the unsure looks to each other near the end of You ain't the first which I read as "shit when does this tune finish again? it somehow still works. 

I think it works not because its a slick production of a show, but rather because it isn't. The rough edges are there and the gig is better for it. The chemistry is clear.

Maybe this show works better in retrospect in the sense that watching this gig now as apposed to VHS in 1991 we now have the burden of insight.  There are people on stage there who were estranged for years after this, bitter words hurled back and forth but maybe it's that knowledge that makes me feel happier to see them as they are in this show. Different people perhaps yet soldiers on the same side.

These are UYI songs without the bells and whistles, no backup singers and no brass band, and without all that extra stuff the songs still stand strong.