Bob Dylan praises Duff's solo song "Chip Away"

There's a video I saw from Bob Dylan in the 80's where he asks some kids the music they listen to and mentions Ratt and Judas Priest. I feel like he had to be aware that Judas Priest got their name from one of his songs. Anyway, really interesting that he recognized Duff there and gives praise to good songwriting when he hears it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Kinda off-topic, but do I remember correctly that Dylan didn’t like the band’s rendition of KOHD? I remember reading something along the words "they couldn’t even keep the right chord progression". Is it a hoax or did I make it up or what? 

George Harrison said that. But Dylan didn't seem to like it either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Blackstar changed the title to Bob Dylan praises Duff's solo song "Chip Away"
13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

[...] There’s a Duff McKagan song called “Chip Away,” that has profound meaning for me. It’s a graphic song. Chip away, chip away, like Michelangelo, breaking up solid marble stone to discover the form of King David inside. He didn’t build him from the ground up, he chipped away the stone until he discovered the king. It’s like my own songwriting, I overwrite something, then I chip away lines and phrases until I get to the real thing. Shooter Jennings produced that record. It’s a great song.

Full interview (worth reading):

https://www.bobdylan.com/news/bob-dylan-interviewed-by-wall-street-journals-jeff-slate/

With Axl on the chorus and a slash solo, this is easily good enough to be the duff song on a new GnR album. Yet it got released whilst he was in GnR but not as GnR song. Get fucked TB and Axl

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

19 hours ago, JimiRose said:

With Axl on the chorus and a slash solo, this is easily good enough to be the duff song on a new GnR album. Yet it got released whilst he was in GnR but not as GnR song. Get fucked TB and Axl

Makes you wonder what Axl thinks about this. Probably nothing too much, but praise from Dylan is something.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, Blackstar said:

George Harrison said that. But Dylan didn't seem to like it either.

speaking of George Harrison and Bob Dylan, George used to hide in bushes and secretly record Bob

https://www.thepettyarchives.com/archives/magazines/2000s/2002-01-17-rollingstone

So George had his own private Dylan bootlegs?

Yeah. One day George was hiding in the hedge at the house where we were recording. As everybody flew off, George would rise up out of the bushes with his video going. And he did that with Bob.

thanks for sharing the article by the way, it was a nice read.

I like the section where Dylan discusses finding things by accident. I love it when I randomly come across a song that I wasn't looking for, and totally love it.

And the part where he says "There’s a lot of outstanding music in the past. Works of genius, and much, if not all of it, has been documented. It would take more than a few lifetimes to hear it all. Musically, it would be too much to comprehend. You’d have to limit yourself and create a framework. "
Yeah, there really is an overwhelming number of great stuff out there! There's a playlist on youtube with Mozart's entire discography, but I only made it through 200 out of the 600 or so tracks in there before I kind of forgot to keep listening to it, and there's thousands more great tracks from great artists all over the place. I'm kind of sad I probably will miss out on a lot of great stuff because human lifetimes aren't that long. :wow: When listening to music, it's often a choice between finding new ones I might love, or relistening to tracks to get the time to appreciate it and carve it into my mind more.

Also Dylan's quote of Tesla, "Tesla, the great inventor, said that he could take down the Brooklyn Bridge with a small vibrator." He's probably not referring to the sexy sort of vibrator, but the concept of taking down a bridge with just that kind of tool is a silly one :P

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1