The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

24 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Indeed. But did it really correlate? Look at how he reacted to the pre-CD leaks. Idk. 

but his action was to release the album 2 years after the main leaks arrived so his "butthurt" wasn't relevant imo

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but his action was to release the album 2 years after the main leaks arrived so his "butthurt" wasn't relevant imo

Fair point, I guess I just see stuff like this as possibly jeopardizing his willingness to do anything. (Nobody spook him etc., you remember the Mtv 02 rehearsal interview bit with that engineer/promoter? Yeah, that vein I mean.) 
Also, if the CD hadn’t already been ready (and him wanting it released), who knows what his reaction might have been, if those things were really in his hands. Just conjectures here of course. 

16 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I don't really consider stuff like Nothing and Eye On You actual songs, more like sketch ideas. But that's just my view.

To me, the chorus (or whatever one might call it) of Eye in you is still the only really really catchy, mean sounding vocal line in the leaks I've heard so far. I really wish they'd build a song around that and get rid of that repetitive monotone Hey ey Hey ey (which they used in Hard skool anyway).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

To me, the chorus (or whatever one might call it) of Eye in you is still the only really really catchy, mean sounding vocal line in the leaks I've heard so far. I really wish they'd build a song around that and get rid of that repetitive monotone Hey ey Hey ey (which they used in Hard skool anyway).

And the MacDaddy bits :D

4 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I genuinely believe the only way we’re going to get a new record is if, somehow, someone leaks a good proportion of what’s being ‘hoarded’ by the band. I mean, let’s face it, if it weren’t for the Skwerl leak in May/June 2008, we might still be waiting for Chinese. Crazy but true 

Wasn't it more that the label just got pissed off and forced their hand? 

1 minute ago, wendirosez said:

That's really harsh.

Hide contents

How is their relationship btw .. anyone know?

if you mean Axl and DJ, then DJ said some good things about Axl in an interview not long ago, but that they're not really interacting anymore.

3 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I respectfully disagree. I think the Skwerl leaks were why we got the record 

Yes, I also believe that if Kevin hadn't leaked them, we wouldn't have had the album for at least a few more years. And I think the track listing would've been a bit different, too.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 2:49 PM, El Guapo said:

Oh boy, these ancient song titles again and again...I'm sick of these songs without ever hearing them! XD

It's a lost cause. Just call Izzy, set a deadline and create NEW music! 

Izzy hasn't put out music in 13 years.  Slash and Duff have stayed more active.

Edited by Bitchisback

10 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Izzy hasn't put out music in 13 years.  Slash and Duff have stayed more active.

He released a few singles in 2016, and he's recorded more recently: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqGmd--pRBm/

Izzy wouldn't make any difference when it comes to new GNR music though. He could bring in 50 songs and Axl wouldn't release any of them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He released a few singles in 2016, and he's recorded more recently: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqGmd--pRBm/

Izzy wouldn't make any difference when it comes to new GNR music though. He could bring in 50 songs and Axl wouldn't release any of them.

Yeah I forgot about the music he put out in 2016. Honestly I never really liked his solo work. I mean it's fine, definitely not bad by any means but I find it pretty boring too.  Meh. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I respectfully disagree. I think the Skwerl leaks were why we got the record 

I thought it was a matter of fact that the label pulled the plug due to spiralling costs? Didn't Axl even say this at one point? 

I could be wrong here, but was sure I remember that was the case. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I thought it was a matter of fact that the label pulled the plug due to spiralling costs? Didn't Axl even say this at one point? 

the label closed the money tap and then I think Axl funded additional recording from his own pocket. Greatest Hits and the Best Buy deal was how they've made their money, but maybe the leaks had an effect on the final tracklist. I could be wrong as well though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yes, Geffen actually sent out a press release in early 2004 stating they had stopped funding it and that Axl would have to pay to get it finished himself. There are indications that with no one funding it anymore, the pace was kicked up a bit. Two years later the album was completed, more or less. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, Geffen actually sent out a press release in early 2004 stating they had stopped funding it and that Axl would have to pay to get it finished himself. There are indications that with no one funding it anymore, the pace was kicked up a bit. Two years later the album was completed, more or less. 

I felt it was more dr pepper and other media widely digging at Axl that forced its eventual release.

I imagine if Geffen never cut off Axl then we would still be waiting for CD lol

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vloors said:

I felt it was more dr pepper and other media widely digging at Axl that forced its eventual release.

I imagine if Geffen never cut off Axl then we would still be waiting for CD lol

Sure, I didn't mean to say it was mainly Geffen stopping the funding that resulted in the release. But maybe it, together with other factors, sped things up a bit. I mean, Axl always wanted to get the album out, with no funding he had a strong economical incentive to speed things up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Sure, I didn't mean to say it was mainly Geffen stopping the funding that resulted in the release. But maybe it, together with other factors, sped things up a bit. I mean, Axl always wanted to get the album out, with no funding he had a strong economical incentive to speed things up. 

And then he refused to promote it 😂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1