The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

4 hours ago, Arnuld said:

It was bad in 2001 and it is bad now. And it is one of the most bizarre choices for a single from any artist ever. 

I’ve wondered if it wasn’t all a joke on the part of the 3 of them. Not even a f*** you, just a jab like “Oh, you all want new music? Here you go!” 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MattyIce3924 said:

I’ve wondered if it wasn’t all a joke on the part of the 3 of them. Not even a f*** you, just a jab like “Oh, you all want new music? Here you go!” 

There was that report on here that Axl had intended to put it out in 2013, he mentioned it to a fan that asked about the song. 

I wonder if he'd had it in his mind that it's a song not taken too seriously to put out as a first taster for new music. 

22 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

There was that report on here that Axl had intended to put it out in 2013, he mentioned it to a fan that asked about the song. 

I wonder if he'd had it in his mind that it's a song not taken too seriously to put out as a first taster for new music. 

That was after a show in Newcastle I believe several people heard him say it

13 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Disagree on both points. Absurd is great. It's killer. And Riad destroys HS. Especially the 2001 mix RTB mix with the heavy as fuck Tommy bassline. Has to be that mix. 

OK, I was gonna disagree with your Rhiad comment, in that, "especially the 2001 RTB mix" , I always listened to the Josh version w/laser beams sounds in verse, but I'll give the other one a spin. What disc/track are you referring to? 

4 hours ago, MattyIce3924 said:

On top of that, someone said, let's brickwallthefu*k out of the song. 

15 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Remember when it was like the unanimous collective opinion on here that Silkworms was an awful song? Then they officially release it and now it's almost as if everyone here praises it and loves it .... Bunch of kiss asses 

Well said

6 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

OK, I was gonna disagree with your Rhiad comment, in that, "especially the 2001 RTB mix" , I always listened to the Josh version w/laser beams sounds in verse, but I'll give the other one a spin. What disc/track are you referring to? 

The Josh version had the guitars mixed pretty differently I think, less agressive I think? The drums were really cool with Josh doing them. 

As for what disc I can't remember. It's been a while since I had all the discs, I think it's the disc with two versions of Chinese on and two mixes of Prostitute. 

As an aside, thank god for those discs. It really helped give an understanding to the Chinese sessions and what they had by 2001. Imagine another set of discs from 2004 or so. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Arnuld said:

And for the record we are arguing about which mediocre song is better than the other. Every song on Appetite are better than these songs. And almost every song on the Ilusions are better than these songs.

Yeah that's actually quite depressing. We can't expect GnR to release stuff that is on par with what they did in their prime.

Whatever they'll do, it will be worse than or at the very least "different" from AFD and UYI. Which makes me wonder what kind of sick obsession I have with "the vault".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Remember when it was like the unanimous collective opinion on here that Silkworms was an awful song? Then they officially release it and now it's almost as if everyone here praises it and loves it .... Bunch of kiss asses 

It is the opposite. The earlier demo versions and live versions kill, especially when you consider the song was written for the late 90s.

Absurd sounds like an awful B-side best left on the cutting room floor. Too many meth cooks in the kitchen. 

2 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Yeah that's actually quite depressing. We can't expect GnR to release stuff that is on par with what they did in their prime.

Whatever they'll do, it will be worse than or at the very least "different" from AFD and UYI. Which makes me wonder what kind of sick obsession I have with "the vault".

We obsess over the vault because not all of the CD era stuff is mediocre. Some of the songs from CD are really good and on par with UYI and appetite. And I’m sure some of the unheard stuff is really good. But Perhaps, Atlas, Hard Skool are just ok. SOG is good but obviously incomplete. And Silkworms/Absurd is terrible. 

We also obsess over the vault because even mediocre new GNR songs are better than no new GNR songs. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Something that keeps me wondering. TWAT is often considered the very best CD song. It's certainly mine and among my Top 5 GN'R songs overall.

So, if you had to bet, from all we've heard of and about it, would bet that The General is better or at least as good as TWAT (the song, not the slang lol)?

1 hour ago, CaioAKR said:

Something that keeps me wondering. TWAT is often considered the very best CD song. It's certainly mine and among my Top 5 GN'R songs overall.

So, if you had to bet, from all we've heard of and about it, would bet that The General is better or at least as good as TWAT (the song, not the slang lol)?

I strongly believe that there are zero songs in the vault that are better than what we got with the Chinese Democracy album. He put his best stuff on that album and there are no "big guns" anywhere to be found.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Silkworms was shit, but it was definitely better than what they ended up releasing. Absurd is the worst song they've ever released, aside from maybe The Plague, if that even counts.

The lyrics were always cringe, but Silkworms wouldn't have been too out of place on something like a skateboarding video game in 2001. At least the lyrics didn't just repeat throughout the song and at one point it had a real chorus. Absurd on the other hand is a complete mess, from the repeated verses to the bad mixing and editing, there's just nothing enjoyable about it. It does seem like a fun live song though, I'll give it that, but the HOB performance of Silkworms was still better than any performance of Absurd...

Im surprised people didnt mass like this with the ABSURD facey

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 2

2 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

The General can’t possibly live up to the hype.

What are people expecting? What is the hype? For years we just had a title until we got the recording from the party… From everything we do know about it, it’s not like it’s suppose to be a pop song with a catchy sing along chorus or anything…  From the CD sessions I’m pretty sure ‘Better’ is the only song that has any pop sensibilities… The General from what we can hear of it sounds like a mix of something like Sorry/SOG/Coma… A darker, melodic “epic” in terms of length and production. Nothing more, nothing less.

8 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

As an aside, thank god for those discs. It really helped give an understanding to the Chinese sessions and what they had by 2001. Imagine another set of discs from 2004 or so. 

I'll try and hunt it down. 

Yeah the leaks enabled me to create a 2001 album which was a grail for me. Another set of discs from later years would definitely enable the hardcore fan base reconcile the lost years. Albeit, highly unlikely, but never say never. 

• Like 1

i think the general built some hype around it because of the title of the song, same as Atlas or Oklahoma

songs with weaker titles like ‘curly shuffle’ of ‘devious bastard’ have less epic titles so we unconsciously think they’re not great epic 8 minute songs 

• Like 2

I also think that the phrase "big guns" really created some hype and expectations that the tunes Axl would even categorize as such would be hard to live up to

No song or album can live up to the hype of a long awaited follow up by hardcore fans.  Unless it is "Black Messiah" by D'Angelo of course

• Like 1