The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

17 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Feels like Duff is experiencing what Slash experienced- saying stuff they think should happen in an interview, being held to it. 

The ultimate result of anyone in GNR (and that includes Duff and Slash) commenting on what GNR are going to do is that it makes them look like someone who has no control or say in what actually happens. 

Yeah. It’s just a bizarre thing to say, honestly. “Something cool on the GNR front is coming, I believe this week.” to the press only for didly squat to materialize doesn’t really bode well for Duff or Slash having any semblance of control over this operation. 

Edited by Nick85
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Nick85 said:

Yeah. It’s just a bizarre thing to say, honestly. “Something cool on the GNR is coming, I believe this week.” to the press only for didly squat to materialize doesn’t really bode well for Duff or Slash having any semblance of control over this operation. 

It's such a strange organisation and way of operating, but if it was me, I'd probably refuse to answer any GNR questions or volunteer any information about them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's such a strange organisation and way of operating, but if it was me, I'd probably refuse to answer any GNR questions or volunteer any information about them. 

Yeah, especially since we know these tracks are just waiting to cross the finish line of release, it just doesn’t help. It almost comes off like the powers that be punish them for giving fans hope when Slash or Duff say stuff like this. I dunno, it’s just spooky sometimes. 

• GNFNR 2

My guess is Axl is super scared to release new music.  Probably intimidated.  It would suck to front this band.  Especially knowing you single-handedly ripped it apart 28 years ago at its peak. 

I often think back to that time and wonder.  What if GNR had released a new album in 96.  I think it would’ve done okay but I think they would’ve faded into mediocrity as grunge/alternative/post rock and nu metal took over bulk of mid to late 80’s.  Chinese would have killed 98-2002 if he’d released his 3 records at that point.  Now he’s going what for? We are a nostalgia act.  If that weren’t the case they’d be doing a lot of new music. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Nick85 said:

Yeah, especially since we know these tracks are just waiting to cross the finish line of release, it just doesn’t help. It almost comes off like the powers that be punish them for giving fans hope when Slash or Duff say stuff like this. I dunno, it’s just spooky sometimes. 

It does really feel like that sometimes. It goes the same way with fans too- deliberate refusal to give them stuff they want. A constant power play.

I'll never stop being baffled by the money the GNR organisation are happy to leave on the table in regards to stuff we know they have, be it live recordings or studio stuff. 

I think that's it sometimes though. The organisation 'have' it. We don't. Maybe they like that feeling? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

Damn, we found out yesterday, that Duff said an announcement is gonna happen soon, MAYBE even this week and now we’re all going crazy and pissed of because it’s Friday somewhere in southeast asia and perhaps hasn’t been released and no announcement was made yet. Give it time until Friday next week for any announcement to happen, then we can be disappointed 

They probably won’t release anything till Saturday, as it will still be Friday somewhere in the World. 

• GNFNR 1

20 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

My guess is Axl is super scared to release new music.  Probably intimidated.  It would suck to front this band.  Especially knowing you single-handedly ripped it apart 28 years ago at its peak. 

I often think back to that time and wonder.  What if GNR had released a new album in 96.  I think it would’ve done okay but I think they would’ve faded into mediocrity as grunge/alternative/post rock and nu metal took over bulk of mid to late 80’s.  Chinese would have killed 98-2002 if he’d released his 3 records at that point.  Now he’s going what for? We are a nostalgia act.  If that weren’t the case they’d be doing a lot of new music. 

Axl didn't single handedly do anything. It was a joint effort. 

If they had gone on with the album Slash released it probably would have sold ok like you said, but basically they inadvertently saved their career by being fuck ups and falling apart 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Axl didn't single handedly do anything. It was a joint effort. 

If they had gone on with the album Slash released it probably would have sold ok like you said, but basically they inadvertently saved their career by being fuck ups and falling apart 

Would they still be a big Stadium-selling band now had they never broken up? Hard to say.

4 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Torturing the last 8 GNR fans who deeply care about new music is woefully on brand, however sad.

I don't thinks It's torture for them.

The only person that cares about this songs It's Axl and he works slow as we know, TB is there for Axl and to make money, they were not ever a decent management, Duff and Slash as long as they get paid and have a good relationship with Axl they are fine, and Frank, Melissa, Richard or Dizzy are not important in this band.

The only person that can push a little bit Axl is Slash and he won't do It because of It can broke again their relationship.

Just imagine if we have been waiting for 4-6 re-recorded Chinese songs that are done for 3 years right now, how long would be to cut a whole new album (as Slash wants) with this line-up and get released?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

I would be willing to bet big money it's this. They release Chinese Democracy in 2008, which Axl had stated would make the wait worthwhile. While it gets overall positive reviews, the general sentiment is "why did we have to wait so long for this album." Thirteen years later, they finally surprise release new music: the first releases with Slash and Duff playing on Guns N' Roses songs since 1993 once it looks like promoters might stop booking them as much with absolutely zero new product since they started touring again in 2016. Yes, both songs were leftovers from the "nu" Guns era, but the general audience did not know that. Worse than bad reaction, there really is no reaction. The songs come and go with hardly a trace other than some articles from a handful of publications the day of. Chances are, Axl knows it will likely be the same overall reaction to a new song released this year. For most artists, that would not be a huge concern; most artists want to release their work and are willing to face reaction or non-reaction to it, but we know Axl seems to have a hard time with putting new stuff into the wild (dating back to the Use Your Illusion days). 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

On the Spotify phone app (can't seem to find it on the desktop website or desktop app), Taylor Swift has a countdown for her album release in a few hours. Apparently these countdowns are a new thing Spotify is testing with certain artists

https://artists.spotify.com/en/blog/countdown-pages-get-fans-hyped-for-your-new-album-spotify-stream-on

If Guns N Roses is releasing something, surely they're big enough of artists to do a countdown, and so we'd know about something releasing beforehand? If they plan to do anything of that sort, that is.

Though it's difficult to determine, because the link above says the countdown is for album releases. However, if you look at some of the data spotify sends over, it looks like singles are also classified as "albums", but of the single type. (e.g. "uri": "spotify:track:0UsdtLayy7SqJ4rUsDMRk8"}, {"album": {"album_type": "single", "artists": [{"external_urls": {"spotify": "https://open.spotify.com/artist/1Dw5bHJLyFrbpoKWNvzNQX"}, "href": "https://api.spotify.com/v1/artists/1Dw5bHJLyFrbpoKWNvzNQX
)

Edited by BucketEgg

Watch me post this and then they announce something at Thursday at 4pm. But I've noticed the trend for the last couple years has been Monday-Wednesday announcements for most of the bigger, established bands, followed by additional promo/announcements/merch/etc on the Friday. On Spotify and Apple Music (probably other services too, not sure), Release Radar playlists of new music from the last week drops on Fridays. A lot of bands have been moving to a system where they announce songs early in the week and gather a lot of organic plays from the big fans, so the song already has some traction when it's promoted to more casual fans, or maybe people who don't even listen to GNR but listen to a lot of rock. Foo's, Metallica, and Chili's all took that strategy. For instance, Lux Aeterna already had over a million plays by Friday when Metallica released it on the Monday, and it didn't hit playlists auto-generated for users until the Friday of that week.

Just now, kanecrescente said:

In order for it to do well, they need to learn their lesson and stop with the surprise releases. Build hype, advertise it well in advance, do interviews/press releases... worked for Ozzy, Maiden & Metallica's most recent albums

Summaring: Be a professional band!

• GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1