The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

13 minutes ago, betterman said:

I guess you would have reacted likewise when CD came out -

Of course.

18 minutes ago, betterman said:

its a 10 for me and for single songs st least TWAT and Better are 10/10

The production/mix alone would prevent Chinese Democracy from a 10 even in its wildest pipe dreams.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

38 minutes ago, dirtyballs said:

waiting for the next live Gig and  real new music .

Like it or hate it....The General / Monsters is real new music.
I don't think we will get it newer.
(Just realized while typing you probably mean "music by Axl and Slash"....not unreleased music from 200*)

50 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Phew, I am happy my favorite music doesn't have to have high production or mixing value. That's pretty far down on the list on why I like the music I like. 

Phew, I am happy I didn't actually say that.

All I did was say why Chinese Democracy doesn't deserve a 10 rating. 

ABSURD: 6 ( it’s a great mix, and the first “new” Gnr release. Would be a 7 or 8 if it had the original structure/chorus still) 

HARD SKOOL: 8 - great song ruined by the oversaturated mix and school bell intro… WTF Axl? WTF Caram? 

Perhaps: 10 - one of the best rockers Axl has ever written IMO

The General: 9 - ironically more “Nu-Guns” than most of CD. Sounds like the original vision for CD which I love. Goosebumps at the chorus. I always thought SOG might be too weird for this lineup to do, but I think it would fit well now 

Monsters: 10 - probably one of the better CD era songs I’ve ever heard. Slash delivered big time. 

I must say, I’m happy we have these songs with just one guitarist and one drummer. Overall, the best part of these songs being done by this lineup is that there aren’t 30 fucking people on the same track like some of the 2008 stuff 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

ABSURD: 6 ( it’s a great mix, and the first “new” Gnr release. Would be a 7 or 8 if it had the original structure/chorus still) 

HARD SKOOL: 8 - great song ruined by the oversaturated mix and school bell intro… WTF Axl? WTF Caram? 

Perhaps: 10 - one of the best rockers Axl has ever written IMO

The General: 9 - ironically more “Nu-Guns” than most of CD. Sounds like the original vision for CD which I love. Goosebumps at the chorus. I always thought SOG might be too weird for this lineup to do, but I think it would fit well now 

Monsters: 10 - probably one of the better CD era songs I’ve ever heard. Slash delivered big time. 

I must say, I’m happy we have these songs with just one guitarist and one drummer. Overall, the best part of these songs being done by this lineup is that there aren’t 30 fucking people on the same track like some of the 2008 stuff 

You don't know this yet. There could be Brain and Frank both on it and 4 guitarists. 

Look at the credits for Perhaps. More people then you'd think! And one member uncredited. 

Absurd - 5

A decent song live, and I like the riff. The lyrics mean nothing to me and it doesn't really hit me in anyway. The break/bridge feels out of place too.

Hard Skool - 7

A fun song. A simple song but it's catchy and has that recognizable Slash solo that just make a goold old GnR song complete. Again, the break with all the 'hey hey' holds the song back. Needed some strong vocal lines, but had none. Could have been a 7+ or even an 8- if it wasn't for the bridge.

Perhaps - 7

A bit more sophisticated than Hard Skool, but still a lot cleaner than other NuGnR material.

Biggest issue: the song is almost 4 minutes long, but offers nothing new after 2:15 (solo). It's just the first 1:30 minutes repeated. 

Small issue: I don't understand the high pitched note at the start of the solo. It feels like something weeping is coming, but than it fades away (unnaturally) and it goed to a lower sound. I feels like that high part shouldn't be there.

The General - 5+

Listened to it like 10 times now. The first two listens I didn't know what I was listening to. Then it started to make sense. It's not a song for me. Too much going on with the layered vocals overlapping each other. I like Axl's voice, but not altered like that. Again, it's a song that just repeats itself like Perhaps. The solo at the end would have been better without Axl singing over/with it.

Monsters - 7+

Still a vague song, but a lot cleaner than The General. Would have been a 6+ if it wasn't for the strong Slash solo and the bridge. That's the Axl I want to hear. That's what really makes this a song I would want to listen to on its own merit and not just because I feel like I should because it's a GnR song and I love GnR.

Bonus point for the different second verse.

Absurd - 7 (goes to an 8 as a live track. Plays to Axl's current strengths and with his fun intros/post song comments I've warmed to it)

Hard Skool - 8 (would be a bit higher If the mix had a better sonic quality but I like the song...it was teased for soo long, it was always gonna have to do a lot to score higher...I would love it If it had the original intro but otherwise Iike Slash and Duff's contributions like some and unlike some...live it's a bit of a struggle going in and outta the verse - chrous for uncle) 

Perhaps - 8 (It's instantly a much better listening experience than the first two singles...I like the more late career sound but still get illusions vibes instrumentally (piano)...it's let down by lacking a second passage verse, otherwise extend the solo and add a crescendo vocal and be a 3 minute song. Live Axl struggled initially (like recent times)  but he has settled into more of a groove and there's been some decent performances and considering his vocal on it is probably about 20 odd years removed, he's got close enough, due to the register it was original sung in. Chorus is like a smorgasbord, each night you're never sure what he'll do with it....annoys some, I like a bit of unpredictable chaos reintroduced....)

The General - 8 (was a 6 on first listen, a 7 after 5 reps and now after like 15, it's all settled in and taken a place at the front of my brain for now...it's such a tough subject and to even try and place yourself in Ax's shoes....not a commercial single (good!) and a bit messy but hey, when it's about that, what do you expect and it kinda adds to the vibe)

Monsters - 9.5 (After 20 odd listens, I'd say this is the coolest and most badass song since Slash left the band. I love Chinese, I love the guitar work but there's a certain spark and special feeling, knowing Slash and Axl are on a track that hits this hard....just remember how unreal it is that this is even happening...it's still kinda a miracle that we're taking for granted at this point...it's dark as fuck, its own song but definately in a suite with TG...a complimentary sound..I can't wait to hear the band in particularly attempt this live and hopefully with great moody lighting, smoke and backdrop (If in future they revamp as mentioned - stage show) Axl is spitting pure venom on the bridge unlike anything he has done since the 90s...it really feels vulnerable and yet still very catchy and could be on radio like a song like "Perfect Day" is and folk have at their wedding but don't actually know it's about drug abuse...

Hoping for more soon...EP, singles, leaks and even a mythical LP,  sign me up...if.the quality continues on the upward trajectory like it has....each song has been better than the last in ways...we're on to something. This break post April '24 might get more interesting than other ones...it's due a rest....if I'm not mistaken, Axl has only not toured in 2 years since '06...(2008 and 2015) ....we make a lot of assumptions (sometimes smart guesses, other times like the recent song developments we can be way off and a lil presumptuous from the outside) there was a time we would've shot anyone that said, ya Axl will reunite....(HA! Fuck offff!)

There was a time we would of agreed that we'd get CD2 (and 3) tracks and holy grails like the General (HA! Ya drinking??) 

There was a time a famous footballer, the G.O.A.T had got in some heads here...GONE. Door closed.

There was a fucking time for everything that has happened and has yet to....it's all on his watch and it's called "Axl Time" .

Punctuality is the thief of time...

Happy Halloween Gunners. Now go kill the repeat button on Axl's powerful horific two partner. 🎃

Edited by colonizedmind

Anybody remember the "Dragon" title from one of the Geffen papers some while back? 

Now one of the users from HTGTH claims that Dragon is the new title of..... Quick Song! I hope he is correct because i guess then it has been completed with lyrics and hopefully one of the songs Slash has played on. 

1 hour ago, betterman said:

Anybody remember the "Dragon" title from one of the Geffen papers some while back? 

Now one of the users from HTGTH claims that Dragon is the new title of..... Quick Song! I hope he is correct because i guess then it has been completed with lyrics and hopefully one of the songs Slash has played on. 

I dont remember Dragons but that's great news if it's true!

Hope its true! Another band I love, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, released a single called Dragon a while back too 

• Like 1

If this is true, I'll be  VERY happy with the title for personal reasons. 

• Haha 3

On the state of ChiDem2 songs, per Slash's comments regarding the possibility of another 2-4 more songs, we now have:

1. Absurd

2. Hardschool

3. Perhaps

4. The General

With Soul Monster also leaking, that may indicate that was one of the songs Slash and Duff reworked. If so, we know Atlas was complete and ready for release back in 2008, so unless Axl decided to shelve that song, it is very possible that the next and final two songs from ChiDem we're getting are Soul Monster and Atlas Shrugged. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

On the state of ChiDem2 songs, per Slash's comments regarding the possibility of another 2-4 more songs, we now have:

1. Absurd

2. Hardschool

3. Perhaps

4. The General

With Soul Monster also leaking, that may indicate that was one of the songs Slash and Duff reworked. If so, we know Atlas was complete and ready for release back in 2008, so unless Axl decided to shelve that song, it is very possible that the next and final two songs from ChiDem we're getting are Soul Monster and Atlas Shrugged. 

I am sure we will get more. Axl will not just give up on other finished songs he has toiled over for years and is proud of. They will come out, one way or another.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am sure we will get more. Axl will not just give up on other finished songs he has toiled over for years and is proud of. They will come out, one way or another.

This. Thinking about Thyme, Se7en, Cuban Skies, Tonto, Zociac and others....