06/05/23 - Tel Aviv, IL - Hayarkon Park

downzy

1 minute ago, Spike Killer said:

I sat next to a well traveled Grateful Dead / Dead and Company fan at a show in 2019.  She had been to all of the shows from Los Angeles, to the Gorge and then to North Carolina.  I asked her what song she hoped to hear that night and she said that the quality of the performance is much better than the actual songs played.

Taking it back to GNR - I'd much rather them play the songs really well - then try and mix things up.  Whatever songs that get played - I hope they do it well.

There were major setlists complaints in 2006, Axl even commented on it at one of the shows didn't he? Which goes to show no matter how good they are or how good Axl is people will moan about the set, and when the set is interesting people will moan about Axl. 

9 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

The only person I've seen genuinely do a different set each night was Prince, but then he was one of a kind and based sets around crowd participation and jamming and a lot of improv. 

Guns have a very small amount of music to chose from and have the songs they have to play every night. 

Since the first tour in 2002 each tour has had a stable set with a few songs rotated. Be thankful it's not 2002, that really was the same set every night. 

I wouldn’t mind the same songs so much if they at least changed the order. That way it wouldn’t be so predictable which is what inspires boredom. Even if they just put one different song in for each gig with that rotating order so that each crowd gets something unique and special to them. That would be great. I saw the Stones on their last tour, they did that. At least one different song for each crowd. 

10 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Most bands use the same set list night and out on tours, true and that's all good. But most bands change it up after a leg or so. AC/DC they play the same set for the entire tour, but next time you see them it's a guarantee they will have shaken up the order of the songs, come up with a new entrance song/video/stage set. They also have the good sense to go away.

A lot of bands including Alice cooper, have a few different songs that they rotate for the opening songs. 

Of course the staples of any bands set have to stay in order to keep people happy, nothing wrong that! just keep it interesting, keep adding songs, keep shuffling the orders, just have a master list and call the songs then and there (like they say they do).

The good thing that happened with AC/DC was when Axl stepped in for the ROB tour. They mixed the setlist up a bit and brought back some of the Bon era songs that hadn't been played live for years. I truly think that was Axl's influence bringing fresh energy into the band. Usual AC/DC is the same setlist every night for the entire tour.

I am grateful we get 3 hour sets with Guns with a few twists as the tour moves along. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Exactly! tune the facking thing down... help yourself out. He doesn't need to sing in his low voice, but he could sing in a different key up high and still sound good. 

I didn't mean that.. They already tune down 1/2 step... I'd rather him just sing in his low voice and if he is having a good night bust out his high voice..

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Exactly! tune the facking thing down... help yourself out. He doesn't need to sing in his low voice, but he could sing in a different key up high and still sound good. 

I'm not sure why people think tuning the songs down will work. they already play in half step. you're talking D or C# and then not only that singing it baritone. You won't even recognise the song. I think what people mean is Axl should sing an Octave lower without the band changing tunings. To keep him out of that mid range which he has completely lost. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

I'm not sure why people think tuning the songs down will work. they already play in half step. you're talking D or C# and then not only that singing it baritone. You won't even recognise the song. I think what people mean is Axl should sing an Octave lower without the band changing tunings. To keep him out of that mid range which he has completely lost. 

exactly

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

I didn't mean that.. They already tune down 1/2 step... I'd rather him just sing in his low voice and if he is having a good night bust out his high voice..

How do you know you're having a good night if you don't sing up high? For me I'd expect his mid/high range to suffer more because he's using less and less. It's a solution but it would basically be the plaster of cancer solution. I think the only true solutions are tuning down/transposing the songs OR working with a coach to rebuild that part of his voice to sound strong (not the same because the ship might have sailed) just strong enough that it's equal power/depth to his low voice

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The worst fanbase ever.. At least on here.. It is fine to criticize to a point but the same people bitch about the same shit on every thread for decades.. I have done my fare share of complaining but at some point you need to move on or follow an other band.  It just looks pathetic. 

Nah, I think most people on here are pretty fair really. You get a few oddballs who seem to view it as a crime to be anything other than fawning over the band, then you get a few on other extreme......but largely I'd say people are fair. 

People are pretty quick to praise stuff when it's good. The last show thread for instance. 

I do think setlist complaints right now aren't justified.....but if people think otherwise, that's their view. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I 100% don't mean he should sing an octave lower that's for sure, that would not be good. I think he should do like Sammy Hagar and tune the songs down OR change the arrangement to suit his voice. The songs were record a half step down, and now Axls voice has changed so the keys should change with him. The band staying in the same keys makes zero sense as they can easily modify what they do, whereas his voice at his age does have limitations. 

41 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Where do you go? 
D?
C#?
The tunes were recorded in Eb… 

So it’s not always a case of tuning down. All music can be transposed to a different key without ‘tuning down’. You could even go up a few keys and have axl sing an octave lower, in a higher key that achieves a middle ground where he’s still in his upper range but in full voice. Very common for jazz/pop etc. Western music is equal temperament so any arrangement can be played in any key and still sound like that song. 

However, because guitar rock and riffs get a lot of their ‘sound’ from where it’s played on the neck of a guitar, and those songs are drilled into everyone’s psyches, keys and all.. it’s not easy for rock bands to do. Imagine telling slash to start playing sweet child o’ mine in F? It’s totally possible, but he’d laugh you out of the room. That’s the trouble with riff-rock. D major (though technically C#major but in D position) sounds and feels great on a lespaul. And then the key change to E means they can play those girthy open bottom strings in the outro. 

for example, billy joel could probably rely on his band to transpose New York State of Mind from C to Ab 10 mins before a gig and no one has to tune down or even bat an eyelid. But GNR? Less likely. 

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The worst fanbase ever.. At least on here.. It is fine to criticize to a point but the same people bitch about the same shit on every thread for decades.. I have done my fare share of complaining but at some point you need to move on or follow an other band.  It just looks pathetic. 

I bite my tongue a lot of times at these newbies that are in the chat. Guns knows that I would tear people apart if I had the chance. If you like the band, be respectful, but as a fan you have the right to your opinion. I just don't see it that way!

1 minute ago, Billy Cundy said:

So it’s not always a case of tuning down. All music can be transposed to a different key without ‘tuning down’. You could even go up a few keys and have axl sing an octave lower, in a higher key that achieves a middle ground where he’s still in his upper range but in full voice. Very common for jazz/pop etc. The western scale is equal temperament so any arrangement can be played in any key and still sound like that song. 

However, because guitar rock and riffs get a lot of their ‘sound’ from where it’s played on the neck of a guitar, and those songs are drilled into everyone’s psyches, keys and all.. it’s not easy for rock bands to do. Imagine telling slash to start playing sweet child o’ mine in F? It’s totally possible, but he’d laugh you out of the room. That’s the trouble with riff-rock. D major (though technically C#major but in D position) sounds and feels great on a lespaul. And then the key change to E means they can play those girthy open bottom strings in the outro. 

for example, billy joel could probably rely on his band to transpose New York State of Mind from C to Ab 10 mins before a gig and no one has to tune down or even bat an eyelid. But GNR? Less likely. 

Exactly, it would take the band a few weeks or rehearsals to do all of this and figure bits out.  Most rock bands don't have the know-how to change on the fly and that's not a knock! A lot of singers also get thrown when the key is changed and they can't find their key centre, so it's not just gunslingers and ivory tinklers to blame😄