Favorite cover songs?

This has probably been a topic before but with the amount of covers the band has played past and present I'm wondering what people find as their favorites? Mine is Dust in the Wind, when I first heard about it I thought it was a cover of the Kansas song.

It's actually a cover of a Todd Rundgren song that I like better than the original. It seemed to replace It's Alright by Black Sabbath and was performed during the Skin N' Bones tour.

• Like 1

As far as live covers, there's Sailing and then there's everything else.

Nice Boys was a great live song up until 2010. Marseilles was a good one, too. Always thought Another Brick In The Wall was a cool intro for November Rain, and Everything (by Eric Carmen) was a cool intro that Axl did once or twice on the UYI tour.

For studio covers, Jumpin' Jack Flash acoustic and Ain't It Fun are my favourites.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

I forgot that one…. 

I think we bought caught a pretty cool cover in Vancouver last time round. I would love to hear a studio cut of that tune. 

I've never really liked their BHS cover. I Feel Good, Wichita Lineman and The Seeker were way better at the last Vancouver show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I've never really liked their BHS cover. I Feel Good, Wichita Lineman and The Seeker were way better at the last Vancouver show.

Yeah I was a bit vague, the I Feel Good cover is the tune I should have said meant. I too never liked the BHS cover… The Seeker, meh, it was a who tune I tolerated more than liked.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

A bit off-topic but I never dug Black Hole Sun live even from Soundgarden themselves. Chris Cornell's voice always sounded a bit weak live compared to the studio version and they could never replicate that guitar sound.

There's a live recording from 1994 where even someone in the crowd complains that they can barely hear Chris Cornell.

Chris also added some higher vocals to the chorus live where the Guns version is actually more faithful to the album version.

Edited by mystery

5 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Yeah I was a bit vague, the I Feel Good cover is the tune I should have said meant. I too never liked the BHS cover… The Seeker, meh, it was a who tune I tolerated more than liked.

Yea, I Feel Good was a highlight. The Seeker is ok, it's a short rocker that Axl mostly sings with his natural voice, a studio version of that would probably be good too.

6 minutes ago, mystery said:

A bit off-topic but I never dug Black Hole Sun live even from Soundgarden themselves. Chris Cornell's voice always sounded a bit weak live compared to the studio version and they could never replicate that guitar sound.

There's a live recording from 1994 where even someone in the crowd complains that they can barely hear Chris Cornell.

Chris also added some higher vocals to the chorus live where the Guns version is actually more faithful to the album version.

It's not one of my favourite Soundgarden songs but the GNR version just wasn't that good, Axl usually sounded pretty weak on it, and yea they kept playing it for way too long.

7 minutes ago, mystery said:

I never listened to I Feel Good before and its one of those songs that feels like it shouldn't work but somehow does. I feel like it mostly just confuses the audience not expecting the band to cover James Brown.

Honestly on the night it felt a little like the old GnR of the 90s. A bit of risk and a bit of fun, something that made that night unique for the people there. It was a very GnR move in way. 

• Like 1

Ain't It Fun!

I recall hearing this tune for the first time during Halloween 1993, on the radio, as my family was driving through San Antonio, TX and not knowing who the band was, but thinking it was a great song.

I discovered it was GNR when I heard TSI for the first time 3 weeks later. :headbang:

Live and Let Die was a lot of fun during the UYI era but it bores me now.

Nice Boys was a great cover as well.

Edited by rockphantom

I loved the Another Brick in the Wall intro for November Rain.

Always dig Whole Lotta Rosie.

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

As far as live covers, there's Sailing and then there's everything else.

Nice Boys was a great live song up until 2010. Another Brick In The Wall was a cool intro for November Rain

For studio covers, Jumpin' Jack Flash acoustic and Ain't It Fun are my favourites.

+1 to all of this.