06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

4 minutes ago, IzzysMissy said:

I literally googled “guns n’ roses” 5min ago and this was the first article that popped up under “news”. I haven’t heard a second of tonight’s show and it’s from the Independent but… damn. This review is BRUTAL. 

That was the first thing I saw too, was worried I was about to watch RIR 2011 all over again. I watched the entire gig after and gotta say, this is a bit of a hatchet job. GNR are no way near the band they once were in terms of quality performance, but if you read this you would be forgiven for thinking that they completely shit the bed, and they definitely didn't do that. Other reviews are far more down the middle 3/5, some are a little more forgiving 4/5... it's a mixed reaction to say the least. I think 3.5/5 is fair, they definitely weren't phoning it in. 

28 minutes ago, IzzysMissy said:

I literally googled “guns n’ roses” 5min ago and this was the first article that popped up under “news”. I haven’t heard a second of tonight’s show and it’s from the Independent but… damn. This review is BRUTAL. 

No matter what GnR did this guy wasn't going to approve.

The funny thing is if this was 30 years ago he would probably be slobbering all over their dicks

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

No matter what GnR did this guy wasn't going to approve.

The funny thing is if this was 30 years ago he would probably be slobbering all over their dicks

:lol:  Had to laugh at this guy.  He would have wrote a similar review 30 years ago.  Sorry but that crowd of people disagreed.  As Axl would say, "well".

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cineater said:

:lol:  Had to laugh at this guy.  He would have wrote a similar review 30 years ago.  Sorry but that crowd of people disagreed.  As Axl would say, "well".

30 years ago GnR was a much hotter name in the industry.  This guy reeks of only caring about what is cool and "in".  But I guess in 93 he might have moved into grunge and seen GnR as a product of the 80s

• Like 1

lol at the lana del rey fans squirming while waiting

i didn't watch the stream to confirm it, but while waiting for her to come on, i'm guessing from the comments, they had to watch some sort of muted video box of guns n roses

https://old.reddit.com/r/lanadelrey/comments/14i42iz/lana_glastonbury_tonight_1030pm_uk_time_live/?sort=old

"lmaoo so sick of watching guns n roses w no audio", "Sweaty old men on mute is not the vibe WHERE IS SHE"

"Ikr could’ve at least given us the audio for guns n roses", "Honestly you don't wanna hear them, utterly shocking until they played 'civil War '"

"Anyone else have no volume?", "Guns and roses have the volume rn so its a matter of waiting"

"She’s busy watching Guns N’ Roses"

"lana is just busy watching guns n roses", " Chanting: "You're my one king, Daddy" "

"Could we atleast have some audio from the lil guns n roses video box", " You really don’t want to. Axl Rose is absolutely terrible. Slash and co are killing it still though. "

"Guns n roses on mute is a weird vibe"

"guns n’ roses is still playing for me here 🤔"

"i am beginning to grow a hatred for guns n roses"

"Girl had to go & see Axl Rose"

"This guns and roses music on mute is so fire🔥🔥🔥"

"It should be ILLEGAL to mute Slash."

https://old.reddit.com/r/lanadelrey/comments/14i3ve7/glastonbury/

"Anyone getting ready to watch Lana at Glastonbury",
"The audio is off on iplayer lol anyone else have this problem too?",
"It's just cause Guns N Roses are playing, we can only WATCH Axl Rose husband, our heavy metal king."

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Haha 1

Glasto, Axl voice review:

• It's So Easy - Superb. 
  • Bad Obsession - Great. 
  • Chinese Democracy - weird little bits of falsetto in the chorus. Why? Should have been full shouty/chesty voice throughout.
  • Slither - Best one I’ve heard. But again, why clean falsetto in the chorus? Completely unnecessary. Chest voice like in verses would sound better. Signature rasp would be ideal but he’s never done it.
  • Welcome To The Jungle - A but up and down. Some strong notes but occasional distracting jolts between clean voice and rasp. Mic volume dipping in and out was weird.
  • Mr Brownstone - Good.
  • Pretty Tied Up - Good.
  • Double Talkin' Jive - Good.
  • Estranged - Good. But again, why clean falsetto at the end? Fans know and love the rasp.
  • Live And Let Die - ok. Why no Paul McCartney? We wanted Glasto surprises.
  • Reckless Life - Smashed it. Solid performance. Best of the night I think. If you can rasp like that for this, why not Jungle or YCBM? Why not Hard Skool?
  • TV Eye - Duff is good at one note.
  • Down On The Farm - Superb. But no baaaa. Crowd shouted baaa, Axl did not.
  • Rocket Queen - Strong ending. 
  • Absurd - Really fun live actually. Sounds more like techno with Johnny Rotten than Guns N Roses tho.
  • Civil War - Some weak falsetto in chorus. Song should build to chorus but sung this way it sort of fizzles out. Strong ending rasp.
  • You Could Be Mine (followed by band intros and a solo from Slash) - This is when friends started to text me to worry about Axl’s voice. Comparisons with Micky Mouse and Herbert the Pervert abound. Axl’s gotta do something about those verses! Strong raspy end.
  • Sweet Child O'Mine - Missed most but end seemed good.
  • November Rain - Nice performance but again, don’t we all miss signature voice?
  • Patience - Good.
  • Hard Skool - Oh my. Sounds completely different to the record. Why can’t he pronounce words properly in the verses? Should use Reckless Life style on this one. Again, a few good raspy notes near end but difficult listen imo otherwise.
  • Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Great.
  • Nightrain - Too many changes between chest voice and falsetto in verses. Nightrain should build to a thundering chorus but first chorus just dropped to a quieter falsetto which was distracting and disappointing. Same voice for verses should be used for chorus to at least maintain volume. Some good notes at the end again.
  • Paradise City (with Dave Grohl) - A special guest! Yay! Should have been more special stuff for this show. Verses sounded a bit Mickey in places. Axl mix cutting out due to sound issues very annoying.

That all probably sounds really critical but it’s my honest opinion shaped by what my casual fan friends told me throughout the show as well. I think Axl was really engaged throughout smiling etc which was great to see so I don’t mean to bring the man down. Constructive criticism. I think some things could be done better, even tho he does really well anyway with age etc. Overall, best show of this tour I think, but Axl could still manage that voice better by makin better choices.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

Glasto, Axl voice review:

• It's So Easy - Superb. 
  • Bad Obsession - Great. 
  • Chinese Democracy - weird little bits of falsetto in the chorus. Why? Should have been full shouty/chesty voice throughout.
  • Slither - Best one I’ve heard. But again, why clean falsetto in the chorus? Completely unnecessary. Chest voice like in verses would sound better. Signature rasp would be ideal but he’s never done it.
  • Welcome To The Jungle - A but up and down. Some strong notes but occasional distracting jolts between clean voice and rasp. Mic volume dipping in and out was weird.
  • Mr Brownstone - Good.
  • Pretty Tied Up - Good.
  • Double Talkin' Jive - Good.
  • Estranged - Good. But again, why clean falsetto at the end? Fans know and love the rasp.
  • Live And Let Die - ok. Why no Paul McCartney? We wanted Glasto surprises.
  • Reckless Life - Smashed it. Solid performance. Best of the night I think. If you can rasp like that for this, why not Jungle or YCBM? Why not Hard Skool?
  • TV Eye - Duff is good at one note.
  • Down On The Farm - Superb. But no baaaa. Crowd shouted baaa, Axl did not.
  • Rocket Queen - Strong ending. 
  • Absurd - Really fun live actually. Sounds more like techno with Johnny Rotten than Guns N Roses tho.
  • Civil War - Some weak falsetto in chorus. Song should build to chorus but sung this way it sort of fizzles out. Strong ending rasp.
  • You Could Be Mine (followed by band intros and a solo from Slash) - This is when friends started to text me to worry about Axl’s voice. Comparisons with Micky Mouse and Herbert the Pervert abound. Axl’s gotta do something about those verses! Strong raspy end.
  • Sweet Child O'Mine - Missed most but end seemed good.
  • November Rain - Nice performance but again, don’t we all miss signature voice?
  • Patience - Good.
  • Hard Skool - Oh my. Sounds completely different to the record. Why can’t he pronounce words properly in the verses? Should use Reckless Life style on this one. Again, a few good raspy notes near end but difficult listen imo otherwise.
  • Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Great.
  • Nightrain - Too many changes between chest voice and falsetto in verses. Nightrain should build to a thundering chorus but first chorus just dropped to a quieter falsetto which was distracting and disappointing. Same voice for verses should be used for chorus to at least maintain volume. Some good notes at the end again.
  • Paradise City (with Dave Grohl) - A special guest! Yay! Should have been more special stuff for this show. Verses sounded a bit Mickey in places. Axl mix cutting out due to sound issues very annoying.

That all probably sounds really critical but it’s my honest opinion shaped by what my casual fan friends told me throughout the show as well. I think Axl was really engaged throughout smiling etc which was great to see so I don’t mean to bring the man down. Constructive criticism. I think some things could be done better, even tho he does really well anyway with age etc. Overall, best show of this tour I think, but Axl could still manage that voice better by makin better choices.

Signature voice? Are you on crack... he's 61... you're being weirdly critical in what was a great performance. I've just been on twitter the most judgemental app out there and guns n roses have received so much love. This couldn't have gone any better for us. Sweet child was amazing and November rain was incredible. You have expectations of prime axl which isn't a thing, anyway moving on.

6am and I'm still buzzing, GOOD MORNING GUNNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Guns N Roses 4 Lyf said:

Signature voice? Are you on crack... he's 61... you're being weirdly critical in what was a great performance. I've just been on twitter the most judgemental app out there and guns n roses have received so much love. This couldn't have gone any better for us. Sweet child was amazing and November rain was incredible. You have expectations of prime axl which isn't a thing, anyway moving on.

6am and I'm still buzzing, GOOD MORNING GUNNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah I don’t have expectations of prime Axl which for me is 1993 and some points in 2010. If you read what I’ve said I’ve indicated a lot of places where I think he could utilise his current voice better (maintaining chest voice through choruses instead of falsetto, for example, even at an octave down sometimes if necessary).

Reckless Life shows he can still use something like his signature rasp. Why he doesn’t do so in places like Hard Skool is a bit mad to me. 

I was hoping for something a bit more like Houston 2016, especially for Night Train. I’ve considered age etc, honestly think my criticism is fair and constructive. Still the best show of the tour anyway!

Great performance. Loved it that they didn’t pander to the festival crowd with the set list. Axl sounded very good despite the mix letting him down in places. The band sounded so powerful, quite the contrast to the headliners the night before. Will be listening back to Reckless Life on repeat.

The press were never really on side during  their heyday so don’t expect them to be now. It’s not worth reading. 

See you at Hyde Park. Cheers!

Edited by Alex z
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm sorry to say it, but the sound engineer is not to blame. It's been like this for a while at shows. When Axl goes for his falsetto/mix he loses all power and drops below the band. It would literally be one persons job to ride the gain/volume controls up and down multiple times throughout every song all night in order for Axl to be heard consistently. When he sings in his lower register or belts like in LALD the vocal returns to the mix. It's 100% a projection issue. The sound engineers hands are tied, you can only do so much when the source is giving you a weak signal. The other option is max out the gain and have feedback all night. Other option is too lower the volume of the rest of the band and have every thing sound weak.

Hopefully some of these comments make it back to management, but I have seen these comments before for other bands and the singers 9/10 blame the engineer. I mentioned this a few days about seeing Hall and Oates where Daryl was singing light like Axl dropping below the band, Daryl heard the front row saying they couldn't hear him so he asks the engineer to turn him up. Then for the rest of the gig is was the job of the engineer and monitor engineer to keep the system from feedbacking and you still could barely hear him sometimes. I guarantee the engineer was doing everything that could be done for GNR here.

From the phone clip I heard the band mix sounded incredible the drums sound so much better!

I was out while the gig was on so I haven't seen this performance yet, but the reviews seem to be consistent that Axls voice was dropping in and out and hard to hear.

Nothing that cannot be repaired, but he has to first of all acknowledge he needs some work, and then he has to do the work. He can definitely at the minimum get his mickey voice sounding powerful again.

I mean when shows are potentially making millions paying one guy to slide a knob up and down can't be too difficult? They already have an entourage of Brazilians on staff, what's one audiophile going to do, break the bank? 😂

• Like 2

The press love bashing Axl. 
I can’t imagine them treating Brian Johnson with such disdain.

The comments about his appearance are pretty low. He’s 61 and in such great shape and more importantly seems very happy. 

I was proud of the band I love. The energy they brought was incredible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, reayj2003 said:

The press love bashing Axl. 
I can’t imagine them treating Brian Johnson with such disdain.

The comments about his appearance are pretty low. He’s 61 and in such great shape and more importantly seems very happy. 

I was proud of the band I love. The energy they brought was incredible. 

The press have always been odd, imagine if they were late... 

The most pleasing part was the crowd, stayed with the band all night and I've never seen axl smile more

• Like 1

I found it odd that at the end of the broadcast, Lauren Laverne (who's hosted music programmes for the BBC for years, so would perhaps be considered an expert) said she'd never heard of Estranged, and that someone on the crew – allegedly a big GN'R fan – would be amazed if they played it... even though it's a setlist fixture.

They said it was down to "the magic of Glastonbury". No, it's a song they've played every night for years. And even if they didn't know (the mega-fan make-up artist should know), it doesn't take long to look it up

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

It’s on the BBC iPlayer now in all its full glory and a solid:

🌟🌟

From me. 

He’s 61. He’s running around the stage like a nutter. They did the normal set, great, but those in the crowd wouldn’t have likely been to a gig of theirs in a while. This is the first British show with this set list. BBC cameras as usual do a fantastic job, sound engineers not so much. He enjoyed himself so much you can tell. There was an energy and it bounced. 

All weekend the sound has been an issue with the broadcasts, I watched Kelis (brilliant performer and lovely human being) and her sound was poor. I’ll watch a few more to see what’s what but it always happens with sound.

• Like 3

very good show with lots of cool moments. The mix was surprisingly awful, but whatever. It's another show where Axl gave it his all. 

watching it, it felt like Gn'R belonged there with how receptive the crowd seemed to be. They pretty much nailed it in the areas where it mattered most musically. Also nice to see how happy Axl seemed to be on that stage.

• Like 3