Josh Freese announced as new drummer for Foo Fighters

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yeah I was surprised about that too. For my taste I'd say Foo Fighters is probably the best active rock band out there currently. Of course that says more about the state of rock music than it does about the quality of Foo Fighters. The band hasn't released anything that great in a while, but at least they still release music and the music is fine. Not great but fine. That's more than I can say about almost any current band.

If by active rock band you mean mainstream stadium concert headlining rock band, then it's all about taste and I get it. But man, there are literally thousands and thousands of amazing rock bands out there, that put out great stuff constantly. You don't need to settle for "at least they release music". Rock music is alive and well, it's in perfect state. It's just not what sells nowadays and it doesn't get any spotlight. But it's out there for everyone with a bit of good will and patience to search and discover. If you don't like what's hyped right now, you need to discover new stuff, and not wait til it comes to you. Those days are over.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

If by active rock band you mean mainstream stadium concert headlining rock band, then it's all about taste and I get it. But man, there are literally thousands and thousands of amazing rock bands out there, that put out great stuff constantly. You don't need to settle for "at least they release music". Rock music is alive and well, it's in perfect state. It's just not what sells nowadays and it doesn't get any spotlight. But it's out there for everyone with a bit of good will and patience to search and discover. If you don't like what's hyped right now, you need to discover new stuff, and not wait til it comes to you. Those days are over.

hard rock seems to be kinda stale nowdays, so idk about perfect.

3 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Hard Rock as a genre has always been stale musically. There's lots of great subgenres out there with exiting bands. 

I guess it's a matter of taste. When it comes to hard rock in its more pure form, I feel that it wasn't always stale.

Josh is a great drummer and I think he will be a great fit in keeping Foo Fighters as a tight sounding unit for sure - the dude is such a chameleon when it comes to fitting in various projects

The Foo Fighters are such a mixed thing for me - when a song clicks with me I think they are fantastic (All My Life, Monkey Wrench, Walk, etc.) but a lot of it sounds kind of samey to me when I put on a full album.  Their last album was pretty decent though

• GNFNR 1

What’s funny about the whole GNR is a nostalgia act….

According to everyone here Axl can’t sing anymore so why the fuck would he bother to make new music? So all of you could complain about how bad he sucks? 😂😂

I’m not familiar with the new drummer but makes me happy others here seem to believe he’s on point. 👍

I thought Travis Barker would be a good fit.

8 minutes ago, B5Redeye said:

What’s funny about the whole GNR is a nostalgia act….

According to everyone here Axl can’t sing anymore so why the fuck would he bother to make new music? So all of you could complain about how bad he sucks? 😂😂

I’m not familiar with the new drummer but makes me happy others here seem to believe he’s on point. 👍

I thought Travis Barker would be a good fit.

Josh is on a lot of the Village demos...

Anything GNR releases will likely have vocals from 1999-2007, and Axl was still great then, so of course we'd like to hear it.

We all know that nothing new is gonna be released, but I think Axl could pull off good studio versions of Wichita Lineman and The Seeker. It'd be a shame if they did actual new songs and all the vocals sounded like Rock The Rock though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I prefer my rock not sterile, I think QOTSA is a much "better" band and they are still active. I would like another Crooked Vultures record for sure. (with Dave behind the drum kit)

having said that, there are a bunch of Foo Fighters records I'm into. Wasting Light was the last one I really enjoyed from them. 

Sure, I get that. I don't like rock music that's too sterile either. But I was talking about my own taste and I'm not a big fan of Josh Homme's voice personally. QOTSA and Crooked Vultures are okay, but none of their songs has the kind of energy as The Pretender for example. And I just prefer Dave Grohl's voice a billion times over Josh Homme's voice.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

13 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Sure, I get that. I don't like rock music that's too sterile either. But I was talking about my own taste and I'm not a big fan of Josh Homme's voice personally. QOTSA and Crooked Vultures are okay, but none of their songs has the kind of energy as The Pretender for example. And I just prefer Dave Grohl's voice a billion times over Josh Homme's voice.

The pretender is a great f’n song. It’s my #3 FF behind Something from nothing (#2) and Everlong.

Everlong is my #1 no matter the group (albeit closing followed by RQ at #2). I’d say 9 out of 10 times I listen to it, I still get goosebumps. But I’m weird 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

What can I say. It's a matter of taste. I always hear people talk about how there's so many great rock bands out there but every time I ask for recommendations people give me some boring uncreative wannabe Led Zeppelin type stuff or some death metal growling that doesn't interest me much. I've tried to find interesting modern rock bands, but everything that I find is usually just okay at best. Sometimes I might find one good song from a new band but the rest of their discography is boring.

Typically I gravitate towards music that breaks new ground instead of trying to sound like old bands so I've been listening to other genres lately much more than rock music. But I always hope that I would find some new rock music that would excite me. Especially fast paced rock music that isn't generic would be great. Or something experimental like Caleb Landry Jones for example. That's one modern artist that I really like. Not sure if you can call it rock music though.

But yeah, I was talking about my own taste and unfortunately I struggle to find modern rock music that I'd enjoy, no matter how much I search for it.

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Personally I thought he was a terrible fit at the London tribute show. Completely overplayed

I don't get the hoopla about Travis barker. Yes, some of the Blink songs have cool drum parts, but overall he's always trying to be the star rather than sitting back, and outside of Blink his drumming is almost always too heavy handed, like he's trying to smash his drums. I like heavy hitters, but time and place!!

9 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

it's all opinions in this thread. I was just sharing my own in contrast to what you've said about the Foo Fighters being the best active rock band or whatever, no disrespect meant.

• GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't get the hoopla about Travis barker. Yes, some of the Blink songs have cool drum parts, but overall he's always trying to be the star rather than sitting back, and outside of Blink his drumming is almost always too heavy handed, like he's trying to smash his drums. I like heavy hitters, but time and place!!

Man, I don't get the love for this guy at all. I think it was 'cause he had a reality show or something because he's nothing to write home about. Dude's literally your average pop punk drummer and that's it. But then again, I'm not a fan of Blink182 at all, even though I've tried to get into them a couple of times, and listened to their music to try to get it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

What can I say. It's a matter of taste. I always hear people talk about how there's so many great rock bands out there but every time I ask for recommendations people give me some boring uncreative wannabe Led Zeppelin type stuff or some death metal growling that doesn't interest me much. I've tried to find interesting modern rock bands, but everything that I find is usually just okay at best. Sometimes I might find one good song from a new band but the rest of their discography is boring.

Typically I gravitate towards music that breaks new ground instead of trying to sound like old bands so I've been listening to other genres lately much more than rock music. But I always hope that I would find some new rock music that would excite me. Especially fast paced rock music that isn't generic would be great. Or something experimental like Caleb Landry Jones for example. That's one modern artist that I really like. Not sure if you can call it rock music though.

But yeah, I was talking about my own taste and unfortunately I struggle to find modern rock music that I'd enjoy, no matter how much I search for it.

Do you ever listen to a genre called blackgaze? There's a good band called show me a dinosaur that does very atmospheric rock music, though not fast paced.

The truth is that gnr were and are probably the best at what they do. And they came at the end of their genres popularity (American hard rock), which stretched from early 70s to 1990.

There's probably some bands out there as creative as gnr, but so niche that not many people will hear them.

Also if you haven't heard them I'd recommend a band called paradise lost. They have huge and consistent back catalogue.

Edited by axl666

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

Man, I don't get the love for this guy at all. I think it was 'cause he had a reality show or something because he's nothing to write home about. Dude's literally your average pop punk drummer and that's it. But then again, I'm not a fan of Blink182 at all, even though I've tried to get into them a couple of times, and listened to their music to try to get it. 

Yeah, he would not be a good fit for FF imo. Josh is the man. Didn't he write CDriff? And the blues is astounding........ He's amazing as..... 😂 We need more early CD leaks with Josh on

Edited by jimisbatman
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Anything GNR releases will likely have vocals from 1999-2007, and Axl was still great then, so of course we'd like to hear it.

Ah, for the “new album” yes. My point was more toward the excuse people cite as the reason they don’t go to GNR shows.

That and ticket prices, which again is a farce. If you go see any “big name” these are the prices you pay 9/10 times.

7 hours ago, axl666 said:

Do you ever listen to a genre called blackgaze? There's a good band called show me a dinosaur that does very atmospheric rock music, though not fast paced.

The truth is that gnr were and are probably the best at what they do. And they came at the end of their genres popularity (American hard rock), which stretched from early 70s to 1990.

There's probably some bands out there as creative as gnr, but so niche that not many people will hear them.

Also if you haven't heard them I'd recommend a band called paradise lost. They have huge and consistent back catalogue.

Thanks! I always appreciate when people give me music recommendations. I listened to some Show Me a Dinosaur. It was decent post rock, but unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of that genre. I feel like most post rock music sound pretty much the same. I know that might sound like sacrilege to fans of the genre, but I don't mean to diss the genre. It's my problem. I wish I would enjoy post rock more, but I need a lot of variation in my music. Paradise Lost is also ok, but it's a bit too gloomy for me to get excited about. I tend to gravitate more towards weird and experimental music like Radiohead or crazy fast paced music like, I don't know, Frenzy by Iggy Pop was probably the last rock song that I really liked, even if it was a bit generic, but I really liked the energy.

On 5/22/2023 at 9:13 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Josh is on a lot of the Village demos...

We all know that nothing new is gonna be released, but I think Axl could pull off good studio versions of Wichita Lineman and The Seeker. It'd be a shame if they did actual new songs and all the vocals sounded like Rock The Rock though.

Josh also played on most of the songs from the Slash & Friends album.

• Like 2