Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I've always been curious about why "we" think it's about child abuse. Where does that come from? Just Evader's interpretation of the lyrics or there is something else?

Didn't Axl say in 2001 that he wrote a song about child abuse maybe that's we got it from 

My guess is it’s because they know their market -  they know most folks will probably just stream it but us folks are more likely to buy the collectibles and physical copies so put vinyl out as that tends to be the format choice of collectors. I mean, some folks buy vinyl just as a collectible thing. 

Personally, I mainly stream but I do like the experience of listening to a record and in some cases (I’m thinking of Third Man’s remasters of the Charley Patton stuff) the vinyl is the only option. Would be cool if they put in a CD with the vinyl like some bands do for albums though. 

Just now, kingcanyon said:

Didn't Axl say in 2001 that he wrote a song about child abuse maybe that's we got it from 

Yes, in early 2001. But why do we think that song is the General? It's likely that the General didn't even exist as a song at that time.

16 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

My guess is it’s because they know their market -  they know most folks will probably just stream it but us folks are more likely to buy the collectibles and physical copies so put vinyl out as that tends to be the format choice of collectors. I mean, some folks buy vinyl just as a collectible thing. 

Personally, I mainly stream but I do like the experience of listening to a record and in some cases (I’m thinking of Third Man’s remasters of the Charley Patton stuff) the vinyl is the only option. Would be cool if they put in a CD with the vinyl like some bands do for albums though. 

Yep, I don't listen to Vinyl but I did buy these 6 Vinyl albums for the hell of it: 

Led Zeppelin 1
Led Zeppelin 3
Dark Side of the Moon
Appetite for Destruction
Black Sabbath
Paranoid (Sabbath)

All 6 of these albums have very cool album covers and they are some of my absolute favorite bands. Led Zeppelin 3 even has a thing where you can move different parts of the album cover around in a circle. It's pretty neat. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Since we're talking lyrics, themes and meanings...

If General is what we think it's about....it could be one of Axl's most personal and painful lyrics ever....his childhood....

Be more specific....as I will do the same if so!

All the parts and layers had more space in the stereo mix. It sounded less claustrophobic than it did through a single phone speaker. 

I see that Joe Barresi (most famed for his work with Tool) is credited as the mixer. 

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I've always been curious about why "we" think it's about child abuse. Where does that come from? Just Evader's interpretation of the lyrics or there is something else?

There was a video up ages ago that took the phone video and tried to decipher some lyrics from.it....thsts what we got...pinch of salt but you never know...

• Like 1

Just now, colonizedmind said:

There was a video up ages ago that took the phone video and tried to decipher some lyrics from.it....thsts what we got...pinch of salt but you never know...

Yeah, that's what I figured. I strongly doubt though that words can be deciphered from that phone recording whatever advanced software (and now AI) someone uses.