Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

35 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

I think the Perhaps buzz shows something that I’ve suspected - that the piano led, more mellow stuff is what tends to hit with the public. NR was still getting played on mainstream on the radio all the time in the mid-late 2000s, always thought something like Catcher would have been a song that may have connected with the public. A lot of regular folks don’t like anything overly metally and so the Chinese title track with the shreddy guitar stuff was never going to be a hit. Perhaps on the other hand seems to be Guns’ biggest hit since the ‘90s.

November Rain, SCOM and You Could Me Mine etc, is really easy to connect with. Just by the title or the hearing the chorus the first time together with the music/vocals.

Does people even know what "Catcher in the Rye" is? Even in english speaking countries? 

I imagine Streets of Dreams would have had a better shot than Catcher in the Rye

41 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

True - I mean that was my first major exposure to GN’R stuff on Kerrang. I think there’s a difference between the rock crowd and generic crowd though. Maybe it’s a generational thing as well - I have come across younger folks my age bemoaning anything ‘heavy metal’ by which they mean anything classic rock :lol:

It’s kind of mad how it’s changed - I mean when I was a kid my Mum was - three bands - Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple oh and King Crimson too - go listen to them, that’s the best music, now the younger generations seem to be scared of guitars :lol: Mad to me that my Mum’s generation are into much louder and heavier stuff than folks in their 20s and 30s.

Guitar rock was huge in the mid 00s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

November Rain, SCOM and You Could Me Mine etc, is really easy to connect with. Just by the title or the hearing the chorus the first time together with the music/vocals.

Does people even know what "Catcher in the Rye" is? Even in english speaking countries? 

I imagine Streets of Dreams would have had a better shot than Catcher in the Rye

Guitar rock was huge in the mid 00s.

True! I do think solos are something of a dying art though to an extent. 

Edited by BassistSeb

One question for you all... I've been listening the song on Tidal and it is clipping (distorting) in some points through out the song. I've already listened on headphones, ear buds and I have a quite good home studio and listening setup. In all of them I'm having the same result. I don't think it is Tidal because on YouTube the result is also the same....

Has anyone already figured it out? 

33 minutes ago, jcjunior86 said:

One question for you all... I've been listening the song on Tidal and it is clipping (distorting) in some points through out the song. I've already listened on headphones, ear buds and I have a quite good home studio and listening setup. In all of them I'm having the same result. I don't think it is Tidal because on YouTube the result is also the same....

Has anyone already figured it out? 

There is some clipping in the song, yeah.

• Thanks 1

Re the mix, anyone else finding it optimised for headphones? Through speakers Axl seems a bit lost in the mix at times but through headphones he’s front and centre. Sounds glorious through headphones that’s for sure! 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 2

After a second listen it is better than Absurd and Hardschool but those were terrible..  I just can't get excited about these Frankenstein songs.. Using tracks from all different lineups and decades..  Utilizing Slash as a session guy...  Also bummed they dropped Pretty Tied Up for this as I am going to see them Monday and was pretty pumped to see that.. Absurd was a novelty that almost no one likes.. Why not drop that???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

After a second listen it is better than Absurd and Hardschool but those were terrible..  I just can't get excited about these Frankenstein songs.. Using tracks from all different lineups and decades..  Utilizing Slash as a session guy...  Also bummed they dropped Pretty Tied Up for this as I am going to see them Monday and was pretty pumped to see that.. Absurd was a novelty that almost no one likes.. Why not drop that???

maybe Axl enjoys singing it live and/or the band likes to play it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

I like "Perhaps" the best of the three new songs. 

"Hardskool" was great. If people didn't know it was an old song redone there would be far less complaining. 

Always liked "Silkworms/Aburd." Very off-beat and punkish. 

I respect your opinion but I don't think Hardschool would have done any better recepted if it was a Brand New song.. The song is what it is.. Great to some I guess and pretty cheesy to others..  It sounds like it could be on a Saved by the Bell soundtrack.  These songs didn't catch on 2 years later still no one at the shows know them. They don't get any Radio/Sirius play...

It is just a shame that in 7 years all they can do is realese 4 CD leftovers.. Not even one original song...  These songs are something they could have put their session tracks over and released in a week and then moved on to bigger and beytter things..

I think they have killed the general public's appetite for new music to the point that if they actually ever were to release new music, there wouldn't be much hype.. 

11 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I respect your opinion but I don't think Hardschool would have done any better recepted if it was a Brand New song.. The song is what it is.. Great to some I guess and pretty cheesy to others..  It sounds like it could be on a Saved by the Bell soundtrack.  These songs didn't catch on 2 years later still no one at the shows know them. They don't get any Radio/Sirius play...

It is just a shame that in 7 years all they can do is realese 4 CD leftovers.. Not even one original song...  These songs are something they could have put their session tracks over and released in a week and then moved on to bigger and beytter things..

I think they have killed the general public's appetite for new music to the point that if they actually ever were to release new music, there wouldn't be much hype.. 

Hardskool kinda sucks....GNR for kids, cant take it seriously.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

What a great sight for us. It’s about goddamn time we saw them kicking ass in the charts again 👏🏼

IMG_1007.jpeg.9b25e0d73159b12db9986075d61e08b4.jpeg

Wasn't there a rumor that Axl and/or GN'R and/or Team Brazil felt underwhelmed by the level of attention Hard Skool generated?  If that's true, hopefully they're feeling better about this one.  I personally prefer Hard Skool (though I really miss that guitar intro heard in the demo version, it's a crime that was removed) but I think it and Perhaps would both be viewed as solid GN'R tracks had they released in the UYI era or another point in the 90s and had years of legacy behind them.

Is anyone really going to argue most of the filler tracks on UYI are better than Hard Skool or Perhaps? 

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 2

is it me or has Perhaps been better then expected because im not seeing many negitive comments and its topping charts in many countries and its trending #6 on youtube. does this make them need to tour again next year or can they wait till 2025 with all the buzz there getting right now

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kingcanyon said:

is it me or has Perhaps been better then expected because im not seeing many negitive comments and its topping charts in many countries and its trending #6 on youtube. does this make them need to tour again next year or can they wait till 2025 with all the buzz there getting right now

They should really strike when the iron is hot but I imagine Slash may already have venues booked for his solo tour early next year. 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Saved by the bell soundtrack lol. I hate that stupid school bell in the beginning of the song. It’s so dumb. I wish there was a way to remove it. 

• Like 2

It's amazing what proper promotion can accomplish. I give this band and management shit just as much as the next guy or gal, but I think they're doing great with this release. A video, radio play (Winnipeg stations don't seem to be playing it), showing it in Times Square. And it seems they're getting recognition for that. Hopefully they're learning something from this and can continue doing so. Hell if anything I hope this reinvigorates some motivation and self confidence for Axl. 

• Like 4