Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

48 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Why are people so obsessed with the length of the song? 

I don't think I've ever had any sort of opinion on a song based on its length.... 

Because longer songs tend to be more epic and have more room for more riffs, solos and deeper lyrical content. The shorter the song is, the more straight to the point it usually is, so... yeah, many people, me included, would prefer a long song. IMO, considering it's GnR and they would never release a REALLY long song, the longer it is, the better.

I just hope that it's a well arranged song. Not that Guns ever had this problem (in my opinion), but some other older bands put out songs that seem to be long just for the sake of them being long. There's plenty to do in 5:00 minutes, you don't necessarily need 7 minutes to be epic.

But like I said, lengthy songs by Guns have always been great and the length has been justified.

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

I don't think I've ever had any sort of opinion on a song based on its length.... 

You have a point in that, if it's a song you don't like, it being long doesn't really change anything, it just makes something you don't like..longer.

I see it that songs like Locomotive benefit greatly from being long, I never get tired of it because it's a whole journey to put it on, if it was like 3:30 in length I would get tired of it way more quickly than I ever did to this day. There's only so many times you can listen to a short song on repeat before it gets tiring.

Also we've gotten 3 short songs already, so just for the sake of something different it would be nice, aswell as it leaves room for extended solos which Slash does well, and we haven't gotten something like that so far. Slash put out some great long solos like in Battleground or Lost Inside The Girl just some years ago so it would be great to see him do it in the Guns context.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

People want GNR to relive the old days with an epic song that has a lengthy Slash solo.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

It can matter....do we think November Rain would be as remembered and have 2 Billion views if it were a 3 and half minute straight to the pointer? Good song first and foremost but EPIC in scope can make something timeless like NR is....cross-generational 

GnR/ Axl has always been great with those long, epic tunes. 

4 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Jury: ???

Definately the best live performance thus far? 

Night and day from show 1!

Oh absolutely. But I am curious to see if/when videos of him performing tonight in FL surface for comparison. I know it was confirmed to have been played after being skipped in Knoxville. 

"Perhaps I wasn't wrong" as Axl said last night

8 hours ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

Oh absolutely. But I am curious to see if/when videos of him performing tonight in FL surface for comparison. I know it was confirmed to have been played after being skipped in Knoxville. 

Have you seen it? He performed the "All Alone" x4 on both choruses for the first time yet live! The last one gave me goosebumps 

On 9/11/2023 at 5:15 PM, Sledge said:

Didn't come up in search but sorry if it has been asked. I tried to order the vinyl, ball and hardskool vinyl but says it isn't available for my address in Australia. The locked and loaded box sure did when I got it expensively at pre-order 

I am in Australia and got the same error. But it works if you remove the hardskool vinyl. Maybe they are out of stock of hardskool vinyl.Screenshot_20230916_230149_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.01693cef3fbcbd142c44c9fdd0eed00a.jpg

22 hours ago, vloors said:

I am in Australia and got the same error. But it works if you remove the hardskool vinyl. Maybe they are out of stock of hardskool vinyl.Screenshot_20230916_230149_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.01693cef3fbcbd142c44c9fdd0eed00a.jpg

Damn, wish I thought of that 🤦 yeah the UK store said the HS vinyl was sold out. I really have no idea how much extra I ended up paying but it's done now so don't want to know ha

23 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

"Perhaps I wasn't wrong" as Axl said last night

Have you seen it? He performed the "All Alone" x4 on both choruses for the first time yet live! The last one gave me goosebumps 

Are there any videos of this? Couldn't find any but only did a quick search. 

2 hours ago, Twinfoot said:

Are there any videos of this? Couldn't find any but only did a quick search. 

There's two....it's contained in the full (almost) show videos of around 2 hrs 10 & 2 hrs 45. 

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There are two videos of most of the show (one about 2h10min long and another about 2h45min long).

Haha I just read this after I made my post, almost said what you said verbatim, ha !!

On 9/16/2023 at 12:29 AM, colonizedmind said:

Jury: ???

Definately the best live performance thus far? 

Night and day from show 1!

Using backing tracks in the chorus ! 

Plus videoing a guy singing while videoing his body and not his head for 4 min is some achievement 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DSTK said:

Using backing tracks in the chorus ! 

Plus videoing a guy singing while videoing his body and not his head for 4 min is some achievement 

Ya....but he is singing on top and he say almost all of it last to previous night....with a song structure as this, it's not uncommon to have some backing which is coupled with Duff and Melissa.....same with Absurd and a bit of HS....General will follow suit if it has that demonic choir too I guess....

7 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Ya....but he is singing on top and he say almost all of it last to previous night....with a song structure as this, it's not uncommon to have some backing which is coupled with Duff and Melissa.....same with Absurd and a bit of HS....General will follow suit if it has that demonic choir too I guess....

Personally I think it would be better just to have Melissa and Duff provide the backing vocals. Listening live, the Axl backing track really stands out and I was thinking "what the hell is that" when listening in person. 

I know Axl can't possibly sing those lines and the "all alone" lines. I just don't see why it is necessary to have more than Duff and Melissa.

Edited by Gnrcane
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Personally I think it would be better just to have Melissa and Duff provide the backing vocals. Listening live, the Axl backing track really stands out and I was thinking "what the hell is that" when listening in person. 

I know Axl can't possibly sing those lines and the "all alone" lines. I just don't see why it is necessary to have more than Duff and Melissa.

Yeah I haven't even been there and thought it was random and absurd. If you have Duff and Melissa singing, (and taking into account Melissa sings high pitched vocals) what's the reason on having that backing track there?

Also doesn't make any sense to have Axl struggling these lines while singing rasp. Why? He has the rasp lines being played in the background while singing the SAME style!!!

The low voice lines from the chorus in the studio version are awesome! and i wish they were easier to hear!

It would sound better and make better sense to have Axl singing in low voice while having maybe just Melissa singing the same lyrics with her high pitched voice and then he singing "you're all alone" with rasp

• Like 4

This is semi-related to Perhaps as this relates to the same general time period. I was reading this Dave Dominguez interview from a few years back and he noted that he didn't recognize much of the music from Chinese Democracy from the time he was there.

One of the notable exceptions was Better which is a song that had music for it way earlier than most people thought and could have existed in some form as early as 1998.