THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 minutes ago, betterman said:

I would love to start the album with a two minute orchestral interlude of the General to set the mood

I only heard it twice, but for me the orchestral deserves more important in the song. It could be used as a bridge between the two parts, I miss some type of link between The General and Monsters, is more abrupt. And I would like that Monsters starts with darker guitars and drums.

Now I try to wait until band release in streaming. If they don't release it this year, I'll hear what I have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Yes for sure, I believe that to be Fortus too.  That said both of their parts sound fantastic, be it Richard's ending part or Slash's really melodic middle solo

Imagine the Monsters leak being the Ashba version, proving everyone wrong. 😆

1 minute ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I can't wait for that bald-headed hipster fuck on YouTube to trash this song like all the others, lol.

I think he might actually dig these, at least Monsters, but you never know. Would be a shame if he didn't. But it'll probably be a while until he reviews them, unless GN'R drops them on streaming services next week, of course.

I think they work better as two separate songs. I know they’re thematically the same but it’s like listening to Estranged right after November Rain or Riad right after Chinese (the two most explicitly political songs on CD, and both rockers). You need a palate cleanser between them, and Guns N’ Roses has always been about the dichotomy, in album sequencing and musical variety.

This is what I’ve currently put together as a bootleg “P.R.L.”. I like the incongruity of opening with Thyme and then going into the absurdity of ABSURD (went with the Village leak of Perhaps as well):

IMG_2399.thumb.jpeg.6522119b2ce028013180b1cce3280332.jpeg

Only went with the one instrumental since it fits with The General and Monsters, hopefully we get vocals for it and some of the others one day.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 2

Huge fan of these songs, especially Monsters! This is basically what I expected CD to sound like (before the leaks)

Quite incredible that Axl has been sitting on these songs for 2 decades, isn’t it?

Must admit I do feel quite vindicated always going to bat for Axl and saying that he has a treasure trove of songs.

Bravo! Also amazing how they have this amazing material and still manage to fuck up the release :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lethalis said:

Do we dare to dream of an album again?

Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, The General, Monsters. Add Atlas Shrugged, State of Grace and we're almost there.

Duff and Slash have probably reworked more songs.

Add Oh My God, Going Down, an instrumental, a new slash duff song and possibly a couple of covers and you have a kickass new guns n roses album.

I’m curious whether this is the final version or if there’s still more to come. It doesn’t seem like the leak could have come from vinyl as it doesn’t appear anyone could have got a copy of it yet. It must have either come from a hoarder (if so, why now) or from the band / management as an apology for cocking up the release - in either case we don’t know if this is the final version or not. I don’t think the vocals are particularly clear in the mix especially on The General which kinda makes me think the official release might have ended up being reworked a bit

Edited by dave94

1 hour ago, The Matinator said:

Axl said in the Dexter chats that Soul Monster's vocals were recorded in '07 right? Cus Monsters certainly sounds like '07 Axl.

He didn't mention a year. He only said that he recorded it on a Christmas Eve.

1 hour ago, NicoRourke said:

So wich part comes first, The General or Monsters?

Didn't Fernando said at some point that "The General is a monster" or something? That was clever.

Since it's been registered in credits databases as "The General and Monsters", it's safe to assume The General is first.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

19 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I can't wait for that bald-headed hipster fuck on YouTube to trash this song like all the others, lol.

can't wait either hipster fantano always sets the record straight! Only then can I form a proper opinion while at the same time agree with him

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GnrHro said:

Add Oh My God, Going Down, an instrumental, a new slash duff song and possibly a couple of covers and you have a kickass new guns n roses album.

Agree but omg has already been released & going down has Tommy on vocals..maybe a Duff track that's not a snooze fest would be cool

Love both omg & going down but can't see it happening 

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

He didn't mention a year. He only said that he recorded it on a Christmas Eve.

Since it's been registered in credits databases as "The General and Monsters", it's safe to assume The General is first.

Also the air of finality in Monsters (“it’s over now”).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dave94 said:

I’m curious whether this is the final version or if there’s still more to come. It doesn’t seem like the leak could have come from vinyl as it doesn’t appear anyone could have got a copy of it yet. It must have either come from a hoarder (if so, why now) or from the band / management as an apology for cocking up the release - in either case we don’t know if this is the final version or not. I don’t think the vocals are particularly clear in the mix especially on The General which kinda makes me think the official release might have ended up being reworked a bit

Or someone who has the demos from the beginning

• Like 1