THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

19 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I can believe it was planned, just like Slash said they planned to release Perhaps and TG this summer. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just not on the original timeline.

While I like albums, I do understand why artists would want to do singles instead. A lot of great songs never get the attention they deserve because they were album songs and never released as singles. Going individually, it lets every song have an equal opportunity and time in the spotlight. Lots of bands and record labels suck at picking singles, as well. One famous example is Deep Purple never saw Smoke on the Water as a single. The record company had to force their hand.

And yet, from all the leaks and releases and everything we have, all the vocals seem to have been recorded around 1998-2000. Is there any known example of a 2003-2007 vocal recording?

I'm sorry, what?! Is this true?!

I’d say Better and Shackler’s are from 2003 or later. The This I Love remix as well. 

2 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Axl called Slash.

That's what set the wheels in motion.

Technically. But Slash was ready for a reunion way before Axl was. Up to that point, Slash had made multiple attempts to contact Axl but was rejected hard each time, so he eventually stopped trying. So the ball was in Axl's court from there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

And yet, from all the leaks and releases and everything we have, all the vocals seem to have been recorded around 1998-2000. Is there any known example of a 2003-2007 vocal recording?

From the songs on CD: the vocals on Shackler's Revenge were definitely recorded after 2003 because of the subject matter of the lyrics. Also the vocals on Better, Sorry, Scraped and This I Love were recorded after 2000 for sure, most likely 2002 or later.

From the leaks: The vocals This I Love remix. Monsters/Soul Monster vocals were also most likely recorded after 2003 (Axl said he recorded them "on a Christmas Eve" and I think a forum member found that there was a studio booked at Christmas 2004 - Axl was also in the studio during the holidays in 2006).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Re doing my rankings-

1. Monsters

2. The General

3. Hard Skool

4. Perhaps

5. Absurd

The General really spot up :headbang:

Hmm I would switch the general with monsters, only because the general has less simple lyrics and perhaps with hardskool 

3 hours ago, KIKOZ3 said:

You distort reality.

Slash drunk knocking on Axl's door delivering a letter saying that Duff was a fraud and that Axl was right was it an event that never happened?

Eh ?

Who said it didn't happen? What does that have to do with the reunion taking place?

Don't bother answering that. After reading your Rio drivel, Jan is right. You're a troll.

2 hours ago, meadsoap said:

Technically. But Slash was ready for a reunion way before Axl was.

Manager after manager popped the reunion question. In one 3 a.m. conversation while managing Mr. Rose on tour, Mr. Katsis recalls: “He told me he wasn’t opposed to doing it at some point, and that he had no real issues with Slash.” But he still wasn’t ready.

Mr. Rose parted ways with Mr. Katsis in late 2011

https://www.wsj.com/articles/guns-n-roses-puts-it-back-together-1458760765

All this fan fiction where Slash had to come crawling on his knees begging is asinine.

Both clearly wanted it, knew it was happening at some point, and appeared to be waiting for Perla to exit stage left.

39 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Honestly, one of the most surprising things about this thread is that people still rip songs from youtube and soundcloud :lol:

Only I thing I download from time to time off YouTube is some performances from various 70s-90s bands, mainly from old TV shows.  I used to not bother until I noticed some would simply vanish.

7 hours ago, Arnuld said:

This is the power of denial. It was over in 2008. NO ONE cared about CD anymore except people like us. It was too late. But if a reunion had come shortly after the CD release Slash and Duff could have done the songs live, more people would have been aware of the album, it would have sold better and they would have made a boatload of money touring. Win. Win. Win. Why would a top industry manager placate you if they knew your choices were going to make everything less successful? GNR was almost at the theater/county fair level in the US by 2014.  So Axl was completely wrong in 2008 hence the 2016 reunion. 

but Axl didn't want to reunite shortly after the CD release. People could have been more aware of the album if Azoff focused more on Chinese instead of working to get it out of the way and get Axl to do something like a reunion, before he had a chance to support Chinese properly.

I'm aware of the musical landscape of 2008, it's not really relevant imo. If it was a losing battle, then Azoff should have stayed far away from a client like Axl, but maybe the reunion money was too tempting to resist.

who gives a fuck that Azoff was a top industry manager, bottom line he didn't do his job, he tried to get what he could from it without giving 2 shits about his client is the way I see it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I'm sorry, what?! Is this true?!

Axl talked about the reaction to Brian May's solo on the leaked demo of Catcher and how he was surprised that it wasn't more favorable among posters cause Brian May is such a legend and then he replaced his work with Bumble's.

some posters here mocked one of the leaked versions of Better, in particular the lyrics in the chorus as it was back then (now I know you know I know better, etc) and then Axl changed it to how it is now.

Edited by Rovim
  • Wow 1

6 hours ago, Arnuld said:

This is the power of denial. It was over in 2008. NO ONE cared about CD anymore except people like us.

GNR was almost at the theater/county fair level in the US by 2014.  So Axl was completely wrong in 2008 hence the 2016 reunion. 

Things were different in 2008. He still had Robin, he still had his voice & look (pretty much, at least) By 2014, NUGNR had significantly downgraded since 2002 and 2006. No more Brain, Buckethead, and Robin. Their replacements were significant downgrades and Axl looked and sounded like hell. Axl fucked up by no-showing Philly in 2002, which lost him Buckethead and the tour, not releasing CD in 2006 on the heels of a successful tour, and then releasing CD in 2008 with zero promotion, which lost him Robin. 

8 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I think the key message is to take anything Baz says with a pinch of salt. For instance, he clearly mistook Monsters for The General. 

Well, whoever recorded the 13 second clip was under the impression that the song title was the General, which it probably was at that point, but is now called Monsters.

• Like 2