THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 hours ago, Illusion1987 said:

Not true..i'd say Perhaps WAS promoted.

They released a video and featured the song on an ongoing tour.

Hardly on the scale of the stones promotion, let's remember that these tracks are only released at all because of the village leaks...the stones just went & recorded a record even with Charlie passing away 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Have to agree, the latest leaks sound almost like AI generated "Gnr Chinese era with Slash" stuff. No real emotion and no love in the arrangements, more of a product than real music.

I like both of the new leaks but I feel more aware that they're sort of patched together from old and new recordings than I did on other songs. 

It's like when I watch The Crow and notice things they did to finish it without Brandon Lee.

8 hours ago, vloors said:

Are you on drugs?

Youre probably a fan of gnr new singles shotty production too.

Not particularly, GN’R at least has the excuse of working with recordings from the 90’s and 2000’s haha. Andrew Watt is atrocious at making records… i can’t stand any of the records he makes. I guess i’ll give the Stones a bit of grace that the actually writing isn’t horrible, the recordings are though.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DSTK said:

Hardly on the scale of the stones promotion, let's remember that these tracks are only released at all because of the village leaks...the stones just went & recorded a record even with Charlie passing away 

The Stones were promoting an entire record

GNR was promoting a single in the midst of a tour. One that isn’t even available to purchase as a physical copy yet 

Apples and Oranges 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I very much believe the pre NITL versions to be superior, as has been the case with the other reworked tunes, especially since we know these songs came from the Buckethead era. 

I really hope we get quality Roy Thomas Baker mixes of these tunes with Bucket and Brain. Back then, a lot of the Guns songs had long intros, and killer guitar solos. Great mixing too. At the very least, I hope they archived these mixes away somewhere to maintain for some sort of bonus anniversary release.

Your chances of getting any of this material is close to zero unless released officially on some box set. Seems pretty certain, no hoarders have them...plus if you were to get them, it's very likely poor quality and certainly unmastered and unmixed, unfinished....

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I very much believe the pre NITL versions to be superior, as has been the case with the other reworked tunes, especially since we know these songs came from the Buckethead era. 

I really hope we get quality Roy Thomas Baker mixes of these tunes with Bucket and Brain. Back then, a lot of the Guns songs had long intros, and killer guitar solos. Great mixing too. At the very least, I hope they archived these mixes away somewhere to maintain for some sort of bonus anniversary release.

I don't mind Slash on these, but of course it would be nice to hear them with Bucket and Robin. The pre-chorus on The General especially ('can anybody tell me...') is just begging for Bucket's tone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Your chances of getting any of this material is close to zero unless released officially on some box set. Seems pretty certain, no hoarders have them...plus if you were to get them, it's very likely poor quality and certainly unmastered and unmixed, unfinished....

The earliest CD leaks sound better than the last two leaks we got. I’m sure they are out there, it’s likely whomever has them doesn’t care or simply doesn’t understand how valuable they are. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, weaponsnflowers said:

Wasn't there are rumor that video was shot for Chinese Democracy, back when Axl had the cornrows?

CITR in Cambodia wasn't it? I highly doubt it. They were still recording and just around then, Aug 2002 Axl openly said there was still work to do. So they wouldn't down tools and start making a video. 

2 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

There was a rumour of a CITR video, shot in a cornfield. Not sure about CD though never heard that.

Yes, nothing has been heard of a CD video. But there was a registration in the ISRC database, which means that a video for it was likely filmed.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, nothing has been heard of a CD video. But there was a registration in the ISRC database, which means that a video for it was likely filmed.

One of the unreleased MSL documents was a CD video treatment. 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

it's not really unofficial, it wasn't made by a fan or anything, it just was never officially released (and it's clear why imo)

As far as the quality of the video it’s similar to the Perhaps music video. Mostly clips from performances of the band. 

22 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That's interesting another thing in the vault then, i tend to think that if a video for it included band members then Tommy or someone would have let this slip at some point over the years. So maybe there not in it.

7 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

One of the unreleased MSL documents was a CD video treatment. 

As far as the quality of the video it’s similar to the Perhaps music video. Mostly clips from performances of the band. 

Nicholas Peterson was approached to direct this video if i remember right

36 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

CITR in Cambodia wasn't it? I highly doubt it. They were still recording and just around then, Aug 2002 Axl openly said there was still work to do. So they wouldn't down tools and start making a video. 

Obviously this is a sketchy Blabbermouth article but https://blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-to-surface-in-december

September 16, 2002

GUNS N' ROSES are rumored to have set December 10th (December 9th in Europe) as the release date for their long-awaited new album, Chinese Democracy, through Interscope/Geffen Records.

If the unconfirmed reports are to be believed, the album's first single, "Catcher In The Rye", is scheduled to surface on November 25th with an accompanying video to be filmed in the next four weeks prior to the start of the band's U.S. tour, which is said to have a late October kick-off date.

Obviously that didn't happen but there were rumours of the video after that. Possibly that article could be what led people to make it up (if it's not true)

What i remember hearing was that it was Axl in a field of corn stopping children running of a cliff edge, which does fit imagery in the book. all sounds a bit MJ Earth song stuff to me though lol

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NelvinHigby said:

Not particularly, GN’R at least has the excuse of working with recordings from the 90’s and 2000’s haha. Andrew Watt is atrocious at making records… i can’t stand any of the records he makes. I guess i’ll give the Stones a bit of grace that the actually writing isn’t horrible, the recordings are though.  

Andrew Watt has produced fantastic albums by Eddie Vedder, Iggy Pop, Ozzy and the Stones in just the last few years. And all of them sound great on my record player 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2