The General Music Video Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

with a 62-year old singer that doesn’t release shit, has tons of money and all the possibilities in the world, and became predictable as hell.

He just released The General and few here predicted it would sound like this :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lio said:

:lol: What territorialism here, jeez.

I for one would never have expected that people would get so emotional about The General video. I would say 'we need new music', but last year has shown that doesn't really help. Mostly the same people will invariably be unhappy with it. We've gotten two music videos in the past year and some unheard songs, we've gotten lots of completely unexpected deepcuts in shows. Still it's being called predictable and the band is lazy :shrugs: I'm not saying it's a revolution, but I would bet one year ago all those people complaining endlessly now, would have never even dreamed of getting all we got in the past year. It is too bad if it's not to your liking (which is fine), but don't make it out as if we never get anything.

we do get some things, a release here and there but it's not very much is it? since 2016 we officially got 2 box sets and Absurd, HS, Perhaps, and The General. 

cool setlist changes as well and 2 music videos. I like what we got for the most part, and by now every hardcore Gn'R fan should know not to expect Axl to be prolific, but sometimes when you're starving and you get just a little piece of bread to eat, it can make you even more frustrated with the situation. Especially when it's been so long since Gn'R released a full album of new material and communication from Axl is non existant.

it's Axl's choice and his right to do whatever the fuck he wants to do or not, I'm just saying that it would probably be very easy for Gn'R to do much more, but Axl chooses to drip feed old Chinese era material and at least for me, the potential to do much greater things is still there, but I don't think Axl is in any rush to do anything, even if I believe it's possible they'll eventually really go for it and try to create something fresh which is something that a lot of fans want and still believe is possible I think.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

People were generally happy with Perhaps outside of the fumbled release, probably half were happy with Glastonbury, most were happy with Monsters. I like The General it's just marred slightly by the clipping, but the best thing about last year was the deep cuts in the setlist.

There's this weird thing that happens with fan bases (not just gnr) that if you like something you are some sort of shill for the band & if you dislike something that means you shit on everything and are 'past it' or something. Maybe it's because the word fan is derived from the word fanatical, who knows?

There's no recognition of that nuance at all from some. Just because I for example don't like the video does not mean that I hate everything they do.

Fanatical? You're talking about the guy who posted about 10 times about how bad the video is and topped it with a video where he sings about how much he hates it? Or has anyone positive to the song come near that kind of behavior? 

The way I see it, those who like the song/video are pretty chill about liking it, some of those who don't are really weird about it, like they take it personally and get really emotional. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Rovim said:

we do get some things, a release here and there but it's not very much is it? since 2016 we officially got 2 box sets and Absurd, HS, Perhaps, and The General. 

cool setlist changes as well and 2 music videos. I like what we got for the most part, and by now every hardcore Gn'R fan should know not to expect Axl to be prolific, but sometimes when you're starving and you get just a little piece of bread to eat, it can make you even more frustrated with the situation. Especially when it's been so long since Gn'R released a full album of new material and communication from Axl is non existant.

it's Axl's choice and his right to do whatever the fuck he wants to do or not, I'm just saying that it would probably be very easy for Gn'R to do much more, but Axl chooses to drip feed old Chinese era material and at least for me, the potential to do much greater things is still there, but I don't think Axl is in any rush to do anything, even if I believe it's possible they'll eventually really go for it and try to create something fresh which is something that a lot of fans want and still believe is possible I think.

And an official release and a video for SOYL…

9 hours ago, Ketan said:

not sure if this is a joke but just in case it isn't: i am pretty sure she dies from a gunshot to the face. The casket has a mirror placed in the middle of her face which is usually done when one side of the face is disfigured. Also, Axl's is seen under a store that has  "GUNS"  written above it.

No way!

• Like 1

Regardless of The General music video and studio version, i'm still so thrilled that we got to see Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, Down on the Farm, Locomotive, Street of Dreams, Prostitute, There Was a Time, Anything Goes, Reckless Life, and other songs from (imo) the greatest year in GNR history in terms of the setlist.

• Like 4

Anyone else here get the feeling that even IF they write and record a brand new album, with the NITL lineup, that perhaps a majority here will complain anyway about how:

-It's nowhere near as good as AFD or UYI

-It sounds old school compared to CD

-It would have sounded SOOOO much better with BH and/or Finck.

I am not sure there really is any pleasing the majority of the fanbase here, short of AFD II, which would also probably be criticised for it's lack of innovation.

4 minutes ago, alfa75 said:

If NITL actually writes and records new material, the Bucket and/or Finck argument wouldn't be valid, because those members were not involved in those songs.

It's only a valid point for a CD-era re-worked tune, of course. 

53 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If NITL actually writes and records new material, the Bucket and/or Finck argument wouldn't be valid, because those members were not involved in those songs.

It's only a valid point for a CD-era re-worked tune, of course. 

Good point and I would like to agree with you, but I still think those comments would surface. A little like how some thought the BH Nightrain solo was much better than Slash's original, or Robin's rework of SCOM for Big Daddy was superior to the Slash original. 

But your point is valid.

1 hour ago, alfa75 said:

Anyone else here get the feeling that even IF they write and record a brand new album, with the NITL lineup, that perhaps a majority here will complain anyway about how:

-It's nowhere near as good as AFD or UYI

-It sounds old school compared to CD

I am not sure there really is any pleasing the majority of the fanbase here, short of AFD II, which would also probably be criticised for it's lack of innovation.

I think the main "complaint" would be that they should have gotten Izzy.

There will also probably be conspiracy theories by some people (especially if there are songs they like) that the songs have not been really written by the current lineup but by Buckethead etc.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, alfa75 said:

Good point and I would like to agree with you, but I still think those comments would surface. A little like how some thought the BH Nightrain solo was much better than Slash's original, or Robin's rework of SCOM for Big Daddy was superior to the Slash original. 

But your point is valid.

Yeah, it's certainly an interesting thought. I believe the last time the band had any creative output of new material was the Bucket/Robin era. We have yet to be shown that not to be the case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1