Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

I see no reason why Axl and Slash wouldn't collaborate... The only reason for not doing it is saving that special moment for an actual new gnr song or album... I don't think they look at things that way though.

I don't know how good a chance there is if it happening, but Axl isn't averse to guesting and Slash did want him on that first solo record... AND if Axl sung something then Slash could have that in the gnr set. AND if Axl is on Slash's record it's instantly going to get more attention. But who knows, they don't efer do what we might expect!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Highly doubt that, unless there's behind the scenes drama that nobody has heard about 

Money likes silence, none of GNR crew wants drama to see the daylight (if there is one). But Slash playing so big deepcut from UYI with his band can suggest something.

I think Bad Apples appeared in an alt setlist from the last GN'R tour and Perfect Crime was in a setlist of a previous leg. Maybe there was talk about Don't Damn Me, too, but it wasn't included in the set eventually. And so maybe Slash just decided to play these songs that GN'R hasn't played with his own band, just like Duff played Dust N' Bones when he toured Tenderness

Also Slash hasn't done much promotion for the SMKC album and tour, so playing a GN'R deep cut kind of does the job since the media report about it.

I don't think there's anything else to read into here.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Money likes silence, none of GNR crew wants drama to see the daylight (if there is one). But Slash playing so big deepcut from UYI with his band can suggest something.

You're reading too much into it. GNR brought back a decent amount of deep cuts last year, and nobody should reasonably expect Axl to pull off DDM. Why would there be drama if he plays this one with SMKC?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

... wait, what? Are you talking about 5 O'Clock Somewhere or "Slash"? I've never heard that about either one.

he's talking about the "Slash" album (Slash and friends) Slash said at the time that he did think about Axl guesting on a track.

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

... wait, what? Are you talking about 5 O'Clock Somewhere or "Slash"? I've never heard that about either one.

That was more of like a joke by Slash and that he thought about it for a second. 

Slash works fast, but if it was coming in like ~6-8 weeks I feel like we'd have seen a few more signals by now. 

It'd be kinda sick if Slash just served up a song that was completely his own creation for Axl to sing on, to contrast all the recent CD frankensteins. 

Also, who exactly is that Magnatone amp for? ~$8000 for the amp and cab. Dentists of the world, get ready to riff. 

And the amp interviewer didn't like Slash in GNR, but liked his solo stuff?? No. No. No. 

Edited by Ant000
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

uten_271.jpg

heh sure... Slash didn't make that phone call for the reason he stated here, not at all because he knew there was next to zero chance Axl will want to talk to him after his failed 2005 attempt at reconnecting. adorable.

42 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it wasn't a joke, Slash thought about it and how it would be a cool thing to do imo

It wasn‘t a joke that he briefly thought about it but from my understanding he never considered to really contact him

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It wasn‘t a joke that he briefly thought about it but from my understanding he never considered to really contact him

it also wasn't a joke that Slash thought Axl could sing the shit out of any of Slash's solo tunes so the way you've presented it was misleading. He never considered to actually contact Axl cause he knew it wasn't even worth it to try cause Axl wouldn't want to talk to him. 

not trying to make Slash look bad, but this is what I think happened. 

Edited by Rovim

The consideration on who would sing on his record likely took place in the second half of 2008 while recording of vocals seems to have happened mostly in the first half of 2009. By then the final legal battle between Slash and Axl had just ended (it was dismissed in August 2008) and maybe Slash was ready to normalize relations with Axl, or maybe he was bitter about the legal wranglings, who knows.

Regardless, Axl was definitely still not entirely over it in late 2008:

uterwr10.jpg

And positively opposed to Slash in early 2009:

uterwr11.jpg

So yeah, I don't think Slash seriously considered reaching out to Axl and ask him to sing on his record in this period - referring to wanting the record out "in this millenium" was just a little jab at Axl.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The consideration on who would sing on his record likely took place in the second half of 2008 while recording of vocals seems to have happened mostly in the first half of 2009. By then the final legal battle between Slash and Axl had just ended (it was dismissed in August 2008) and maybe Slash was ready to normalize relations with Axl, or maybe he was bitter about the legal wranglings, who knows.

Regardless, Axl was definitely still not entirely over it in late 2008:

uterwr10.jpg

And positively opposed to Slash in early 2009:

uterwr11.jpg

So yeah, I don't think Slash seriously considered reaching out to Axl and ask him to sing on his record in this period - referring to wanting the record out "in this millenium" was just a little jab at Axl.

especially since the Angel Down sessions went fine with Axl guesting on 3 tunes on Bach's record and even writing his own lyrics and vocal melodies on Stuck Inside just a couple of years prior to Slash working on his solo album.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

it also wasn't a joke that Slash thought Axl could sing the shit out of any of Slash's solo tunes so the way you've presented it was misleading. He never considered to actually contact Axl cause he knew it wasn't even worth it to try cause Axl wouldn't want to talk to him. 

not trying to make Slash look bad, but this is what I think happened. 

No, I totally agree. That‘s how I understood it.

5 hours ago, Ant000 said:

Slash works fast, but if it was coming in like ~6-8 weeks I feel like we'd have seen a few more signals by now. 

It'd be kinda sick if Slash just served up a song that was completely his own creation for Axl to sing on, to contrast all the recent CD frankensteins. 

Also, who exactly is that Magnatone amp for? ~$8000 for the amp and cab. Dentists of the world, get ready to riff. 

And the amp interviewer didn't like Slash in GNR, but liked his solo stuff?? No. No. No. 

I think there's a lot of controversy out there because of this amp being so much like a JCM but overly priced. As someone who can't afford a JCM anyways, I'll just have to go with my cheap gear lol.

The Magnatone guy repeated the same thing about Slash's solo album coming in March in this interview for Andertons:

17 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I see no reason why Axl and Slash wouldn't collaborate... The only reason for not doing it is saving that special moment for an actual new gnr song or album... I don't think they look at things that way though.

In their mind they already did that with Perhaps and The General. But hey, it probably won't happen anyways.

Unless Axl again has some vision for the next album (brrr I hope not) and Slash is releasing a few songs here and there that were originally meant for GNR. And Axl doesn't mind guesting on them, because he doesn't consider them for the next album anyways.

6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think there's a lot of controversy out there because of this amp being so much like a JCM but overly priced. As someone who can't afford a JCM anyways, I'll just have to go with my cheap gear lol.

The Magnatone guy repeated the same thing about Slash's solo album coming in March in this interview for Andertons:

I really hope he‘s well informed and knows what he‘s talking about. I somehow doubt it. Not saying he‘s lying but probably he‘s not remembering it correctly :shrugs:

Edited by Free Bird
  • PERHAPS 1

A release date in March would mean he couldn‘t promote it like he use to promote his records. I think it‘s most likely that he‘ll finish the tour, promote it for one or two months with interviews for big magazines etc. and release it in summer.

• Like 1