Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

first of all, I'm not holding my breath either. I did say that if it would happen, it would happen years from now. that is my guess anyway.

second: how do you know that Chinese Democracy was Axl's final statement? you don't, cause Gn'R is not over yet plus what Axl has in his hard drives probably dates back to the 90's and combined with whatever got done during the Chinese years, a 'glimpse' is the right word to describe what we got. it's not a reliable indicator when it comes to how much material the current lineup has to work with or in what quality. we know very little, that's an important fact to remember.

I think it's his last 'statement' as a completely original, new release. Of course they could release an album in the future, but it would likely be a collection of the NITL singles and other songs. I wouldn't be surprised by a single every few years but that's obviously not the same kind of 'statement' as an album.

If we're going by what Axl has said, he had 26 songs that were almost done near the end of the CD sessions. Let's be generous and assume Shackler's and TIL weren't included at that time - we've still heard at least half of CD2. That's not a bad indicator.

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think it's his last 'statement' as a completely original, new release. Of course they could release an album in the future, but it would likely be a collection of the NITL singles and other songs. I wouldn't be surprised by a single every few years but that's obviously not the same kind of 'statement' as an album.

If we're going by what Axl has said, he had 26 songs that were almost done near the end of the CD sessions. Let's be generous and assume Shackler's and TIL weren't included at that time - we've still heard at least half of CD2. That's not a bad indicator.

you're not taking into consideration a lot of factors: the new material Gn'R could come up with, the exact number of unreleased Chinese tunes be it instrumentals or with vocals remains unknown to us, what Axl has managed to come up with since the time he gave that interview about the 26 songs completed and 32 overal. that was a long time ago.

don't know why you think it would be likely a collection of the NITL singles and other songs, but I guess it's possible.

I'm talking more about a proper, final musical statement. does Axl thinks a full album is the way to go? or what if he'll want to release just one brand new single at a time that came from a Slash riff for example? there are too many factors that we have no idea about, but it did seemed in the China Exchange interview that Axl was still in his Chinese phase, still not being done with releasing what you can call extra Chinese tracks, but after that, anything is (still) possible.

nothing is stopping Axl from taking 5 years to construct another musical statement and now he has all he needs to make it happen cause Slash and Duff are back in the band and there's no pressure to do anything. the only way it could work imo.

First of all, I know this isn't the new album thread and I'm sorry for continuing this shit :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

you're not taking into consideration a lot of factors: the new material Gn'R could come up with, the exact number of unreleased Chinese tunes be it instrumentals or with vocals remains unknown to us, what Axl has managed to come up with since the time he gave that interview about the 26 songs completed and 32 overal. that was a long time ago.

don't know why you think it would be likely a collection of the NITL singles and other songs, but I guess it's possible.

I'm talking more about a proper, final musical statement. does Axl thinks a full album is the way to go? or what if he'll want to release just one brand new single at a time that came from a Slash riff for example? there are too many factors that we have no idea about, but it did seemed in the China Exchange interview that Axl was still in his Chinese phase, still not being done with releasing what you can call extra Chinese tracks, but after that, anything is (still) possible.

nothing is stopping Axl from taking 5 years to construct another musical statement and now he has all he needs to make it happen cause Slash and Duff are back in the band and there's no pressure to do anything. the only way it could work imo.

Do you think he'll be touring and releasing music in his 70s? I don't think he has 5 years to waste on a song, if he treats it the same as Hardschool, Perhaps, etc - a 'fresh' addition for the next couple years of touring.

I'd guess the 'new material they could come up with' is Duff songs and covers, for the most part. Maybe we actually get a few new songs from Axl, and maybe he really is holding onto some gems for an album, but I doubt it...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

First of all, I know this isn't the new album thread and I'm sorry for continuing this shit :lol:

Do you think he'll be touring and releasing music in his 70s? I don't think he has 5 years to waste on a song, if he treats it the same as Hardschool, Perhaps, etc - a 'fresh' addition for the next couple years of touring.

I'd guess the 'new material they could come up with' is Duff songs and covers, for the most part. Maybe we actually get a few new songs from Axl, and maybe he really is holding onto some gems for an album, but I doubt it...

I think you don't have to tour in order to release a new album. I don't even know if Axl would want to release a new Gn'R album without the ability to support it with a tour or maybe he doesn't give a fuck about that aspect of it anymore if what he wants to do is just add to the catalog.

you seem to ignore the fact that Axl is not sharing any information for years now, or that he is a pro musician that has the ability to complete existing songs, compose new ones, and work on new ideas that came from other people in his band.

I didn't say he can take 5 years to work on a single song, I said that he can still take years to construct a full album. maybe it can be a hybrid album of mostly new but also old material.

you seem to think that all Axl can do is use old shit and he is incapable of coming up with new shit or work on new shit. nothing we know supports that belief.

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

what Axl has managed to come up with since the time he gave that interview about the 26 songs completed and 32 overal. that was a long time ago

I love how people pretend/ think they know what's going on behind the scenes and bases on some old ass interviews and rumors..

For all we know he might have done nothing but teaching his cats to play pool or he recorded shittons of albums - like Prince - just for himself!

Stay strong my man, fighting windmills ain't easy..

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm stoked for this album, and it's cool to read about it, but this made me laugh.

image.png.3e782c74c5e1617e375cd1d4e3208a4c.png

I'm sure everyone has tons of ideas. The timing hasn't aligned. They all want to do it, they just need to figure out how. :rofl-lol:

Is same with different words....

1 minute ago, Ratam said:

Is same with different words....

what do Slash and Duff have to gain by talking about it? they don't need to talk about new music from Gn'R. the nostalgia is enough for them to sell tickets.

Slash and Duff must know some information that Axl has shared with them about it, at least letting them know in general that something is eventually going to happen when it comes to an attempt to record brand new music. that is just me speculating, but why would Slash lie and say that a new Gn'R record has been on the books for a while and should start coming together if he had no reason to believe that Axl wants to start the process of doing that in the future?

Slash wouldn't say that shit and Duff wouldn't talk about it in the way he did if they both were convinced that nothing is going to happen, what Slash said about it in this interview even suggests at least to me, that Axl told them a while ago that he wants to create with them at least some brand new music.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

what do Slash and Duff have to gain by talking about it? they don't need to talk about new music from Gn'R. the nostalgia is enough for them to sell tickets.

Slash and Duff must know some information that Axl has shared with them about it, at least letting them know in general that something is eventually going to happen when it comes to an attempt to record brand new music. that is just me speculating, but why would Slash lie and say that a new Gn'R record has been on the books for a while and should start coming together if he had no reason to believe that Axl wants to start the process of doing that in the future?

Slash wouldn't say that shit and Duff wouldn't talk about it in the way he did if they both were convinced that nothing is going to happen, what Slash said about it in this interview even suggests at least to me, that Axl told them a while ago that he wants to create with them at least some brand new music.

I don't say Slash lie, just Slash always need  answer same, cause journalst always ask the same question.  It isn't Slash blame. I be sure Slash feel uncomfortable about it question ad-infinitum too. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I don't say Slash lie, just Slash always need  answer same, cause journalst always ask the same question.  It isn't Slash blame. I be sure Slash feel uncomfortable about it question ad-infinitum too. 

yeah but Slash doesn't have to answer any Gn'R questions when it comes to a new album and Duff could avoid these type of questions too. to me it seems they wanted to talk about it when in the past Duff would say shit like "we're gonna keep it mysterious".

all I'm saying is that maybe, just maybe there were some positive developments in the new music department, meaning that Slash and Duff seem optimistic something would happen and the possibility of that happening shouldn't be shrugged off just because some shit that was said in the 90's or that Axl rarely releases new music.

the truth is that it's still possible for them to do it. maybe some people don't want to even admit that to themselves which leads to mocking even the idea of it which is just not how I personally see it. :shrugs:

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah but Slash doesn't have to answer any Gn'R questions when it comes to a new album and Duff could avoid these type of questions too. to me it seems they wanted to talk about it when in the past Duff would say shit like "we're gonna keep it mysterious".

all I'm saying is that maybe, just maybe there were some positive developments in the new music department, meaning that Slash and Duff seem optimistic something would happen and the possibility of that happening shouldn't be shrugged off just because some shit that was said in the 90's or that Axl rarely releases new music.

the truth is that it's still possible for them to do it. maybe some people don't want to even admit that to themselves which leads to mocking even the idea of it which is just not how personally see it. :shrugs:

It's possible or not possible, i be 50%  optimist and 50% pesimist, just the great three knew it. We just can wait and see.

1 minute ago, Ratam said:

It's possible or not possible, i be 50%  optimist and 50% pesimist, just the great three knew it. We just can wait and see.

yeah to think we know more than we actually do leads to wrong conclusions. judging by the very limited and general info that Slash and Duff sometimes share with us regarding new music, it seems that at least Slash and Duff are optimistic about it happening eventually so of course a good approach is to take everything with a grain of salt, but being too sure that it is never going to happen doesn't seem to be based on anything concrete either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah to think we know more than we actually do leads to wrong conclusions. judging by the very limited and general info that Slash and Duff sometimes share with us regarding new music, it seems that at least Slash and Duff are optimistic about it happening eventually so of course a good approach is to take everything with a grain of salt, but being too sure that it is never going to happen doesn't seem to be based on anything concrete either.

Nothing is still definitive, at least with GNR. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Just came here to post this, I don't know if it's because of the interviewer, but Slash is in a really goofy mood in this interview lol, definitely more than usual in interviews:lol:

And the two Rod Jackson mentions were cool as well.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes. It says it in the loudersound link that vloors posted, too.

22 hours ago, vloors said:

Ok great, I'm going to see if my local bookstore has it first before I order it online. In my experience magazines direct takes forever to ship.

40 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I hope his festival is doing good and he brings it to Europe. That plan alone is good news to me because I don’t wanna miss this.

He just confirmed again that they’re trying to work on a new GNR record. I don’t doubt that when he or Duff say it. I don’t even doubt that Axl is as honest as it gets when he says ’ok guys, let’s do it’.

But their work ethic is just so different it doesn’t matter as long as Axl’s the producer and works on it forever

The only way would probably be if Axl would  let somebody else make at least some decisions.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Just came here to post this, I don't know if it's because of the interviewer, but Slash is in a really goofy mood in this interview lol, definitely more than usual in interviews:lol:

Yes, I think it probably has to do with the interviewer. He really did a good job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I hope his festival is doing good and he brings it to Europe. That plan alone is good news to me because I don’t wanna miss this.

He just confirmed again that they’re trying to work on a new GNR record. I don’t doubt that when he or Duff say it. I don’t even doubt that Axl is as honest as it gets when he says ’ok guys, let’s do it’.

But their work ethic is just so different it doesn’t matter as long as Axl’s the producer and works on it forever

That he wants to do it every year is cool... hopefully that leads to even more blues albums.

Some people still have faith in a GNR record, but it doesn't seem to be anyone's priority. Slash says he doesn't make a record without being able to tour it, and he's doing another SMKC one at the end of the year. If the Serpent tour is annual, that's probably the first half of next year he's doing solo stuff again.

Maybe sometime in the 2nd half of 2025 we'll start seeing GNR roll out some 40th anniversary promo... and according to people here, they obviously can't promote new stuff and old stuff at the same time, so the 'new album' will be delayed again. :lol:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That he wants to do it every year is cool... hopefully that leads to even more blues albums.

Some people still have faith in a GNR record, but it doesn't seem to be anyone's priority. Slash says he doesn't make a record without being able to tour it, and he's doing another SMKC one at the end of the year. If the Serpent tour is annual, that's probably the first half of next year he's doing solo stuff again.

Maybe sometime in the 2nd half of 2025 we'll start seeing GNR roll out some 40th anniversary promo... and according to people here, they obviously can't promote new stuff and old stuff at the same time, so the 'new album' will be delayed again. :lol:

Slash has said that the recording of the new SMKC will take place in the fall (so right after the blues festival).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash has said that the recording of the new SMKC will take place in the fall (so right after the blues festival).

Yea I'd read somewhere they'd record it in the fall, so he probably couldn't tour it until late this year or early next year. I hope the Serpent tour becomes annual and the European fans get to see it next year, too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea I'd read somewhere they'd record it in the fall, so he probably couldn't tour it until late this year or early next year. I hope the Serpent tour becomes annual and the European fans get to see it next year, too.

Based on vinyl production I wouldn’t expect the next SMKC album to come out until next year if it’s being recorded this fall 

6 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Based on vinyl production I wouldn’t expect the next SMKC album to come out until next year if it’s being recorded this fall 

I have no idea what the timeline would be now that he's on Gibson's label. But yea, I wouldn't be surprised by 1 or 2 SMKC singles by the end of the year (if the plan is to start recording right after the blues tour like blackstar said) but the album could be next year.

I'm kinda hoping 'Mr Hudsons Bluz Band' picks some more covers while they're on tour, and do an EP or something if they tour again next year.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I have no idea what the timeline would be now that he's on Gibson's label. But yea, I wouldn't be surprised by 1 or 2 SMKC singles by the end of the year (if the plan is to start recording right after the blues tour like blackstar said) but the album could be next year.

I'm kinda hoping 'Mr Hudsons Bluz Band' picks some more covers while they're on tour, and do an EP or something if they tour again next year.

Blues album / SMKC album I don't care, I'd just like to hear Slash release some great new music... Which he has failed to do in the last 7/8yrs. Don't really care about hearing Slash covering blues standards so if there's another blues album, he really should write some of his own stuff.

• Like 1