Do you guys think Guns N' Roses will be next year's half time act?

On 2/12/2024 at 10:08 PM, Stay.Of.Execution said:

That's where you're ridiculously wrong. 

Not ridiculously. Europe - Poland 0% interest. Most of our neighbours the same. 0% means really 0, like, most of us don't know the rules of that sport. Myself included.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tomek1985 said:

Not ridiculously. Europe - Poland 0% interest. Most of our neighbours the same. 0% means really 0, like, most of us don't know the rules of that sport. Myself included.

different story in germany though. nfl is pretty big here. i'd assume in england as well. even spain is getting a nfl game next year.

• ABSUЯD 1

30 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

different story in germany though. nfl is pretty big here. i'd assume in england as well. even spain is getting a nfl game next year.

I think England generally dislikes American "Football" for being neither rugby nor football. 

5 minutes ago, username said:

I think England generally dislikes American "Football" for being neither rugby nor football. 

I guess a few do but not many, if someone here were to like NFL or Basketball, Hockey ect it would be considered odd or unusual. I know NFL plays in London occasionally but that's mostly fans flying in, & Americans who live in London going.

• Like 2

Loads watch the Superbowl here in England as a spectacle. It's broadcast live on one of the major TV channels (at a late hour of course) but everyone at work was talking about it the next day. 

American Football in general is a niche thing here though. Doesn't get much focus or attention in the media. It's all football (or 'soccer') and rugby really. 

1 hour ago, username said:

I wouldn't say anyone really dislikes it massively, it's just not a big thing. I suppose some people laugh at the amount of protection the players wear though in comparison to Rugby and have a bit of a laugh at the whole 'American stereotype' thing. Not really in a hateful way though- it's just maybe seen as a bit naff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rindmelon said:

I guess a few do but not many, if someone here were to like NFL or Basketball, Hockey ect it would be considered odd or unusual. I know NFL plays in London occasionally but that's mostly fans flying in, & Americans who live in London going.

Yeah, I've known people go to those games. I think they're so sporadic and occasional that there's enough people who are into it across the whole country to fill them as special events. 

Ice Hockey is actually weirdly popular where I live and does the Arena here at about once a week. I think the team are particularly good though and the tickets reasonably priced, which has helped build it up. 

3 hours ago, scottish nutter said:

theres not enough buckfast or heroin in scotland to get me through a full game of american football lol

I'm with you, man. There is no force of nature that can make me sit through an american football game :lol:

Nor baseball or hockey. But count me in for (traditional) football or basketball. 

• ABSUЯD 1

23 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I'm with you, man. There is no force of nature that can make me sit through an american football game :lol:

Nor baseball or hockey. But count me in for (traditional) football or basketball. 

Yea American football (nfl) is boring to me too. You end up watching mostly timeouts and coaches walking around then any action. Its too stop/go and long because of this.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Yea American football (nfl) is boring to me too. You end up watching mostly timeouts and coaches walking around then any action. Its too stop/go and long because of this.

They put a stopwatch on the action only in a football game, it ended up being just over 10 minutes of play. It's a valid criticism, I think.

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 1:58 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Metallica would be the logical choice and they are still great live. 

I don't think they would do the WNBA Final. They still seem to be pretty big, while GNR are on the decline and need something like the WNBA to light a fire under their marketing campaign for The General. 

The reason I could see GNR doing it is because Axl is such a big basketball fan. Otherwise, I don't know if GNR would do it. I don't follow the WNBA that closely, so I don't know if James Hetfield is a proud support of female athletics. 

Edited by gunsnchalupas
  • Confused 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:18 PM, gunsnchalupas said:

while GNR are on the decline

GNR generated 96 mil touring in 2023 and 93 mil in 2022.  They are constantly within the top grossing tours of the year and one of the biggest rock bands of all time.  To say they are on the decline is so ignorant honestly lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

GNR generated 96 mil touring in 2023 and 93 mil in 2022.  They are constantly within the top grossing tours of the year and one of the biggest rock bands of all time.  To say they are on the decline is so ignorant honestly lol

I guess I meant that it's more a scenario where GNR needs the WNBA for popularity. Where as the WNBA needs Metallica. 

Especially if the LA Sparks make the final, that's huge exposure. That's easily 500k+ people who would be watching.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Axl still sounds like shit. Don’t give him a stage like this 

7 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

I guess I meant that it's more a scenario where GNR needs the WNBA for popularity. Where as the WNBA needs Metallica. 

Especially if the LA Sparks make the final, that's huge exposure. That's easily 500k+ people who would be watching.

You must be trolling

• PERHAPS 1

On 2/12/2024 at 5:11 AM, vloors said:

Superbowl hasnt been about rock since that wanker Jay Zs company Roc Nation was put in charge of music delivery for the superbowl. 

True and I think it’s unfortunate. I’d like to see country, rock or really any non-mainstream artists get their own set during halftime even if it’s someone I don’t listen to, just to change it up from being the usual aka whoever Jay Z personally likes or has professionally ties to.

I think it’s a temporary deal he/Roc Nation has with the NFL but I don’t know how much longer or if they will part ways once the deal is up. All I could find is that it’s a multi year deal but idk the end date. 

As for Guns N’ Roses doing halftime show. If they allow rock artists to be showcased again I could see there being a variety of rock artists with GNR being one of several bands in the lineup that does a short medley or two song mashup. For this all they’d have to do is songs that best suits Axl’s current singing capabilities and they’d do just fine. Whats probably a more likely scenario is if Carrie Underwood gets the halftime gig (which I hope happens someday) she could have Axl join her as her special guest (if he agrees to it, OR invite Slash & Duff too) and they collab on WTTJ or PC, smth like they’ve done before which imo was awesome. Like when they did WTTJ last year for her bday at her concert, Axl stayed in the pocket as someone on YouTube commented meaning mostly sang in his lower register and use his highe register for certain parts of the song along with Carrie. I think smth like that would work. 

13 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

You must be trolling

The target audience of the WNBA is middle aged men. 

I know 500k doesn't sound like a huge number, but the potential for synergy is massive.

If LA Spark make the final, that's a million ears that get to hear The General for the first time. They easily would have to make a second run of 7 inch singles because the orders would pour into the GNR website in the hundreds. That's a game changer. 

7 hours ago, C.H. said:

True and I think it’s unfortunate. I’d like to see country, rock or really any non-mainstream artists get their own set during halftime even if it’s someone I don’t listen to, just to change it up from being the usual aka whoever Jay Z personally likes or has professionally ties to.

I think it’s a temporary deal he/Roc Nation has with the NFL but I don’t know how much longer or if they will part ways once the deal is up. All I could find is that it’s a multi year deal but idk the end date. 

As for Guns N’ Roses doing halftime show. If they allow rock artists to be showcased again I could see there being a variety of rock artists with GNR being one of several bands in the lineup that does a short medley or two song mashup. For this all they’d have to do is songs that best suits Axl’s current singing capabilities and they’d do just fine. Whats probably a more likely scenario is if Carrie Underwood gets the halftime gig (which I hope happens someday) she could have Axl join her as her special guest (if he agrees to it, OR invite Slash & Duff too) and they collab on WTTJ or PC, smth like they’ve done before which imo was awesome. Like when they did WTTJ last year for her bday at her concert, Axl stayed in the pocket as someone on YouTube commented meaning mostly sang in his lower register and use his highe register for certain parts of the song along with Carrie. I think smth like that would work. 

It's the little victories. Taking the WNBA half time act from Ashanti could be the sea change the world needs to show that rock bands can handle major half time shows. 

As of now, I'm not sure the CFL would let GNR play The General during the Grey Cup, they are used to more mainstream acts like Green Day - but I think if Axl goes to the WNBA final and kills it, then Randy Ambrosie would have no choice but to consider whether a medley of Absurd, The General, and Witchita could be a hit with the CFL audience.

People always complain about GNRs streaming numbers  being too low, but nobody wants to see the band do anything about it, like play a half time show during a women's basketball game.

• Like 1