Do you guys think Guns N' Roses will be next year's half time act?

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Remember when slash did the Super Bowl with the black eyed peas and they made him play the SCOM riff and wear a glitter suit/hat? I’m still trying to bleach that night from my brain, 13 years later…

The hat was studded not glitter! 

On 2/12/2024 at 1:12 PM, Gnrcane said:

I'm a basketball fan and I've not watched more than 5 minutes of the WNBA combined since it started. Women's basketball is not the same as men's. They just don't have the strength and athleticism to do the things that make NBA basketball a "show."

Most people don't watch basketball to see a perfect screen and roll execution. They watch because Lebron might tomahawk dunk over Giannis. That doesn't happen in the WNBA.

juwanna-mann-1.jpg

Why does everybody keep mentioning the Super Bowl? 

On 2/12/2024 at 4:23 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Remember when slash did the Super Bowl with the black eyed peas and they made him play the SCOM riff and wear a glitter suit/hat? I’m still trying to bleach that night from my brain, 13 years later…

At least he played the guitar live and the solo wasn't mimed like this year's halftime show.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:10 AM, gunsnchalupas said:

It depends. Maybe if the Indiana Fever make the final he could play and it would be more low-key than if say the Los Angeles Spark or the New York Liberty are there. A bit less media. 

I also just spoke to my source and he is actually a massive WNBA fan. Like massive. It's apparently all he talks about backstage. They pass out WNBA talking points to the workers as part of the rider so that when Axl says "That was a crazy layup in the Dallas Wings game last night" the worker who was instructed not to look him in the eye knows enough to say something like "Yeah, I really thought Kalani Brown had a great game".

is this serious?  Like, on all ends?  no disrespect, but I've never heard of anyone being a big WNBA fan.  and workers can't look him in the eye.

let's be honest, Super Bowl would have been good in 2004.  not now.  we are more likely to see Axl as the next star of "the Bachelor" than halftime of anything these days.  

Edited by Chester 524

13 hours ago, Ant000 said:

Someone was told not to look Axl in the eye? cripes

Allgedly, the big reason for the rift between Axl and Buckethead was that Buckethead didn't think Axl was serious about the compulsory attendance for his yearly WNBA draft party. Stinson tried to warn him, but it was all down hill from there!

That was the 2003 draft too. I heard that Axl was so mad when the Indiana Fever missed out on Cheryl Ford, that he claimed Buckethead would never play for GNR again, and that's what got the ball rolling on the botched 2006 reunion.

Grain of salt of course, all just rumors, but it makes a lot of sense. 

15 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

is this serious?  Like, on all ends?  no disrespect, but I've never heard of anyone being a big WNBA fan.  and workers can't look him in the eye.

let's be honest, Super Bowl would have been good in 2004.  not now.  we are more likely to see Axl as the next star of "the Bachelor" than halftime of anything these days.  

I am surprised so few GNR fans are on board with the WNBA. It's on-brand for the image the band is going for now. Both are exciting products of similar speed and pace. I think it's a great fit for both sides.

Axl and Carrie Underwood could do for the WNBA what Swift and Kelce did for the NFL's popularity. 

13 minutes ago, gunsnchalupas said:

Allgedly, the big reason for the rift between Axl and Buckethead was that Buckethead didn't think Axl was serious about the compulsory attendance for his yearly WNBA draft party. Stinson tried to warn him, but it was all down hill from there!

That was the 2003 draft too. I heard that Axl was so mad when the Indiana Fever missed out on Cheryl Ford, that he claimed Buckethead would never play for GNR again, and that's what got the ball rolling on the botched 2006 reunion.

Grain of salt of course, all just rumors, but it makes a lot of sense. 

Where are these rumours :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/12/2024 at 12:58 PM, adamsapple said:

I don't mean to be disrespectful but outside the US no one really gives a shit about the Superbowl. The halftime is a freak show peak of decadence and self indulgence. No one in his right mind takes that shit seriously. It's like a caricature of the roman empire.

I don't have numbers for this year yet but the 2023 Super Bowl was broadcast in 190 countries and had 56 million viewers outside the US. That is a huge global audience and it's not just a bunch of American expats. Your opinion does not line up with the numbers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, History2010 said:

I don't have numbers for this year yet but the 2023 Super Bowl was broadcast in 190 countries and had 56 million viewers outside the US. That is a huge global audience and it's not just a bunch of American expats. Your opinion does not line up with the numbers. 

Please stay on topic. I think it is sexist how people keep bringing up the Super Bowl in a thread about the WNBA. I understand this band has a history of misogyny, but given Duff's current feminist leanings, I expected better from this forum. 

On 2/11/2024 at 9:21 PM, Jwalker19 said:

I feel like this is a topic every... single... year. 😂

It is. I was just telling my wife the other day that this topic has popped up every year since I've been here, probably longer!

I think their best chance was 2017, right after the reunion began. However, looks like they were in Oceania during the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

Please stay on topic. I think it is sexist how people keep bringing up the Super Bowl in a thread about the WNBA. I understand this band has a history of misogyny, but given Duff's current feminist leanings, I expected better from this forum. 

I think a lot of people (myself included) have no idea what the WNBA was, and assumed it was linked with the SuperBowl, as the thread was started right after the SuperBowl. 

Out of touch and uninformed about  American sporting organisations - yes. 

Misogynistic - no. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think a lot of people (myself included) have no idea what the WNBA was, and assumed it was linked with the SuperBowl, as the thread was started right after the SuperBowl. 

Out of touch and uninformed about  American sporting organisations - yes. 

Misogynistic - no. 

He's just trolling.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 2:53 AM, gunsnchalupas said:

Usually the WNBA Championship has a major artist like Ashanti for their halftime show. 

Given Axl's love of basketball, is anybody surprised Axl hasn't tried to get that covered spot?

I could see it being a good way to promote The General being available on iTunes. The WNBA audience demographic is mostly middle aged men, so from a marketing POV it overlaps nicely with GNR's target market.

Events like the superbowl would be an amazing fit for GnR. They mostly care about name value and not quality. So that's definitely right up gnr's alley. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/12/2024 at 2:53 AM, gunsnchalupas said:

Usually the WNBA Championship has a major artist like Ashanti for their halftime show. 

Given Axl's love of basketball, is anybody surprised Axl hasn't tried to get that covered spot?

I could see it being a good way to promote The General being available on iTunes. The WNBA audience demographic is mostly middle aged men, so from a marketing POV it overlaps nicely with GNR's target market.

Come to think of it, the WNBA specifically would be a great fit too. Women can't dunk. Axl can't sing. It'll be one big party of people trying to do stuff they suck at.  

Edited by username
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

You've made a purposely vague title. The same day as the Super Bowl you asked "Do you guys think Guns N' Roses will be next year's half time act?"

Then in your post you go on to spout some nonsense about the WNBA knowing half the people here aren't going to read that and just respond to the title. And technically this thread isn't about the WNBA, but about the possibility of Guns N' Roses playing at a halftime show, but not the Halftime Show.