Slash - Papa Was A Rolling Stone

16 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

She has a great voice and it's a great cover. I always liked her voice even if I don't care much for her music.

Her bond with slash is sweet 

I don't much care for her generally, but her recent metal turn really hooked me. Even the re-records of her pop hits go pretty hard.

This cover rules. Incredible collab. No notes from me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, axlslash said:

I don't much care for her generally, but her recent metal turn really hooked me. Even the re-records of her pop hits go pretty hard.

This cover rules. Incredible collab. No notes from me.

I'll have to listen!  I have noticed a lot more pop and hip hop artists are incorporating rock and metal into their sound. I feel like rock is making a bit of a comeback.  

22 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The best thing on the record in my opinion. Nice soling, great backing track and Her vocals are absolutely spot on! she is insane gifted (and trained) with her vocal control. Living for the city is also a favourite so far, big fan of that song in general and it doesn't disappoint.

My one negative takeaway from the record is that it's incredibly safe. How many times do we need to hear Crossroads covered? and especially when it's just the same old version. I think Slash could have taken a few more left turns and chosen a few other less covered songs. I know it needs to be commercially viable and well known songs will get more clicks, so I understand the thought process.

Hopefully the second half of the live set list adds some deeper blues cuts....I'm sure a live album will come from this festival too! So we can enjoy that hopefully too

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

I'll have to listen!  I have noticed a lot more pop and hip hop artists are incorporating rock and metal into their sound. I feel like rock is making a bit of a comeback.  

Demi's last album was a hard rock/metal record. It's pretty solid. She recruited Nita Strauss for the album and tour, so more than just lip service to the genre. And her voice sounds GREAT over a real heavy guitar.

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

Demi's last album was a hard rock/metal record. It's pretty solid. She recruited Nita Strauss for the album and tour, so more than just lip service to the genre. And her voice sounds GREAT over a real heavy guitar.

Well is certainly a rock record (pop punk/rock) but it's 100% not metal😄

She seems to be into rock/metal though, but I think she has a proper rock record in her, to me it sounds like Kelly Clarkson since you been gone type pop rock. Great pipes!

On 5/19/2024 at 4:17 AM, allwaystired said:

I don't want to get targeted by those nasty other snowflakes that Slash is scared of......

Funny how the same people that are "too soft" are also "tyrannical jackbooted thought police"...

How did the conversation get here again? Was it because the singer is a woman woke?

11 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Funny how the same people that are "too soft" are also "tyrannical jackbooted thought police"...

How did the conversation get here again? Was it because the singer is a woman woke?

Someone saying they weren't interested in the new Slash album because he's apparently 'gone woke' I believe.....

• Haha 1

Boring, no soul, just professional music by professional musicians. The original is miles above this cover in vibe and atmosphere. Hopefully Slash gets his boring old fart type of blues fix now before putting uninspired crap like that on a possible new GNR album. Gimme Axl’s Wichita Lineman over this any day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

Boring, no soul, just professional music by professional musicians. The original is miles above this cover in vibe and atmosphere. Hopefully Slash gets his boring old fart type of blues fix now before putting uninspired crap like that on a possible new GNR album. Gimme Axl’s Wichita Lineman over this any day.

Are you trying to tell us you don't like it?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, adamsapple said:

SMKC gets called boring, Slash goes and does something completely different, it gets called boring. lol. Maybe you need to come to the realization that his music just isn't for you? Some people are never fucking happy lol

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

On 5/20/2024 at 7:19 PM, Bitchisback said:

Like kim kardashian? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

SMKC gets called boring, Slash goes and does something completely different, it gets called boring. lol. Maybe you need to come to the realization that his music just isn't for you? Some people are never fucking happy lol

I like his music in/with GNR. His other stuff not so much.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

I like his music in/with GNR. His other stuff not so much.

I think what Slash played on Crossroads and many other cuts on this album blows away any of the singles he released with GNR since the reunion. It is him on top of his game just as anything he released during 1987-1991. I mean what are you complaining about, the solos are well structured and played with lots of feel, and don't sound phoned in, he sounds engaged.

If you don't like that, and find it boring, what are you even doing listening to his work then. He's in his late 50s and still delivering this quality of new releases, I think what you're disappointed with is not Slash but Axls work ethic in not incorporating this sort of performances in new songs they could write. Slash hasn't lost a step if you really listen to this album. He might even be held back by the shitty line up he has to work with with Guns, like Frank Ferrer, who is a far cry from the feel the drummer on this album shows.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He might even be held back by the shitty line up he has to work with with Guns, like Frank Ferrer, who is a far cry from the feel the drummer on this album shows.

That's definitely part of it, 100%

8 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think what Slash played on Crossroads and many other cuts on this album blows away any of the singles he released with GNR since the reunion. It is him on top of his game just as anything he released during 1987-1991. I mean what are you complaining about, the solos are well structured and played with lots of feel, and don't sound phoned in, he sounds engaged.

If you don't like that, and find it boring, what are you even doing listening to his work then. He's in his late 50s and still delivering this quality of new releases, I think what you're disappointed with is not Slash but Axls work ethic in not incorporating this sort of performances in new songs they could write. Slash hasn't lost a step if you really listen to this album. He might even be held back by the shitty line up he has to work with with Guns, like Frank Ferrer, who is a far cry from the feel the drummer on this album shows.

What a wild take.

First guy says he doesn't enjoy Slash's work much outside of GNR and this guy turns it around and says it's actually because of Axl and Frank you don't enjoy Slash's work (all the while Axl and Frank are not featured on any of these tracks) lmao.

Some people don't like the blues dude, and a whole album might be a bit much to someone.   Idk how that's Axl's fault lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Some people don't like the blues dude, and a whole album might be a bit much to someone.   Idk how that's Axl's fault lol 

When in doubt blame Axl - always works. :lol:

I actually love blues, but I don't enjoy super clean pop blues like this. I like blues the way Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Healey and others did it. Slash merely quoting blues is different from what those guys did. It doesn't speak to me the way other stuff does but I can totally see how younger folks and Slash fans might like it.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

41 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I actually love blues, but I don't enjoy super clean pop blues like this. I like blues the way Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Healey and others did it. Slash merely quoting blues is different from what those guys did. It doesn't speak to me the way other stuff does but I can totally see how younger folks and Slash fans might like it.

I like this album very much but of course you're not wrong.

It's very polished and "safe", it's old men's music. And it's a very different thing compared to the blues originals. But it's not meant to compete with Howlin Wolf or something, it's a fun project and a bow to the original artists.

Fantastic musicanship, a great vibe and a little lighthearted fun is what I get from this album and that's pretty awesome in these times.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

What a wild take.

First guy says he doesn't enjoy Slash's work much outside of GNR and this guy turns it around and says it's actually because of Axl and Frank you don't enjoy Slash's work (all the while Axl and Frank are not featured on any of these tracks) lmao.

That's not what I meant, but if you look up the time it was posted and where I'm from it was also written 1 am friday night, (I can't be the only one who's not always sober when I post here?:lol:) so it's not as coherent as I probably thought it was, but I believe what I tried to convey with that specific point was the following:

This release is not, what he called, "uninspired crap". You can not like it, and say it's not your cup of tea, but that doesn't make it "uninspired crap". Slashs playing is as great and inspired as ever, and the reaction it got nearly universally proves it, it is praise from everyone, music critics, and also most on this forum. Nothing about this is disappointing, because everything is on point, the band, the solos, the production. What's disappointing about this release (or what he actually -should- really be disappointed with) is Axls inability to get going with new GNR material to utilize this sort of inspired Slash playing (AND production) for new GNR songs. That this amazing playing isn't for a new GNR album. Instead, we get it on these blues covers.

• Haha 1

First Slash material I enjoyed since Apocalyptic Love, if I’m not mistaken. Hope Slash plays more material like this and ditch the whole "rOcK aNd FuCkInG rOlL" image and sound he’s been focused on with The Conspirators.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I agree. I am also more a fan of that pure blues, delta blues, than watered down bluesrock. Because that's what this album is at best, Slash rocking out to tunes, some of which are blues but not all. The closest to something I felt felt like genuine blues was the tune with Iggy Pop. 

Still, a very well produced album and Slash plays a lot of solos. 

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I like this album very much but of course you're not wrong.

It's very polished and "safe", it's old men's music. And it's a very different thing compared to the blues originals. But it's not meant to compete with Howlin Wolf or something, it's a fun project and a bow to the original artists.

Fantastic musicanship, a great vibe and a little lighthearted fun is what I get from this album and that's pretty awesome in these times.

Spot on! It is enjoyable for what it is. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 12:37 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

That's not what I meant, but if you look up the time it was posted and where I'm from it was also written 1 am friday night, (I can't be the only one who's not always sober when I post here?:lol:) so it's not as coherent as I probably thought it was, but I believe what I tried to convey with that specific point was the following:

This release is not, what he called, "uninspired crap". You can not like it, and say it's not your cup of tea, but that doesn't make it "uninspired crap". Slashs playing is as great and inspired as ever, and the reaction it got nearly universally proves it, it is praise from everyone, music critics, and also most on this forum. Nothing about this is disappointing, because everything is on point, the band, the solos, the production. What's disappointing about this release (or what he actually -should- really be disappointed with) is Axls inability to get going with new GNR material to utilize this sort of inspired Slash playing (AND production) for new GNR songs. That this amazing playing isn't for a new GNR album. Instead, we get it on these blues covers.

Now imagine Slash hadn’t release this record. Instead GNR would. How many people would scream it’s not Slash on solos like these. „This has to be be Buckethead“, „Slash can’t play like this anymore“, „He only butchers solos“, „These two seconds at the end have to be Finck“

Pop blues? Uninspired crap? Lol

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2024 at 3:37 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

What's disappointing about this release (or what he actually -should- really be disappointed with) is Axls inability to get going with new GNR material to utilize this sort of inspired Slash playing (AND production) for new GNR songs. That this amazing playing isn't for a new GNR album. Instead, we get it on these blues covers.

I'm pretty sure the only way we'd get something like this from GNR, is on another covers record. :lol:

They could absolutely put a band together (there's no reason to think they'd actually use Frank in the studio, though they'd probably use Richard) and record some covers in a week or two. Songs that Axl still really enjoys - Wichita, Walk All Over You, etc - with someone like Clink at the board would be good. But GNR simply aren't gonna go that route with original songs.