Slash - Papa Was A Rolling Stone

Posted (edited)

There's a few good tunes on this record.. The Pusher, Crossroads, Hoochie are the best.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone was awful, imo.

-----

I love how the same people making comments about something I said are the same people who still support Axl Rose, after all of the horrible allegations. 

Edited by F*ck Fear

I went and listened to the original and man what a difference adding the guitars in makes to the vibe. His solo is just fire for this song.

This is a great example of a cover done well, which is wildly difficult to pull off when a song is so iconic and people are protective of it.

Slash has to be thrilled with the general overall response to how people seem to be receiving this album in general.

• Like 2

That solo is absolute fire! Awesome song and it’s good to see Teddy looking well and happy after his health scare last year.
As for Demi.. 

93e70798-d095-468a-8848-93e3108f9882_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

There's a few good tunes on this record.. The Pusher, Crossroads, Hoochie are the best.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone was awful, imo.

-----

I love how the same people making comments about something I said are the same people who still support Axl Rose, after all of the horrible allegations. 

But, let's help one a other, right?

The Pusher is definitely a highlight, I'd put it in the top 3 with Stormy Monday and Living For The City.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone is good instrumentally but there's something about the vocals that just don't fit... it's not bad, but it sounds like what you'd expect from a pop star. It will probably grow on me the more I listen to the album though.

• Like 3

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

The Pusher is definitely a highlight, I'd put it in the top 3 with Stormy Monday and Living For The City.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone is good instrumentally but there's something about the vocals that just don't fit... it's not bad, but it sounds like what you'd expect from a pop star. It will probably grow on me the more I listen to the album though.

The instrumentals & her voice kill the whole thing for me.

Overall, I felt like 5 songs were good, and the rest were not.

Thanks for discussing my friend!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

The instrumental to PWARS is super tight if you ask me. They pull everything out out of the instruments they’re using. It’s not like they used violins and trumpets like the Temptations did.

Watching the video is helping me get over the voice. I actually love that song and think it’s the second best after Stormy Monday. 

I agree with 5 good songs. The rest is very good to excellent imo;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

I wasn't sure what to expect from this song, but instrumentally the cover is really nice. It's a very 'Slash' take on it but it's tasteful and works really well. And again, Tash sounds great, the whole band does, I'm not sure he could've pulled this off with SMKC or GNR.

This is also the most 'classic Slash' album I've heard from him in a long time... the GNR singles sound uninspired and SMKC has gotten stale, but Mike Clink producing blues classics is a perfect fit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Love the video, love the song.

I also love people who care about others, I guess I'm a fucking snowflake ❄️ ❄️

Peace ✌️

But do you care about the people who don't care for others who care for others? 😸

• Haha 2

This record has been a great surprise

....I love when music can still do that! Maybe Guns will be part of the surprise one day....as Prince used to say, "may you (we) live to see the dawn"

UK dates Mr Slash.....pretty please.

• Like 1

After a few spins, It's a good record and has that Slash DNA all over it.  It does what Slash set out to do which was get a good band together, play a not so purist interpretation of tried and true blues standards with a laid back feel and a really good cast of different singers. 

I really thought the Pusher w/Chris Robinson was a strong opener, Crossroads w/Gary Clark Jr was good, hoochie Coochie Man w/Billy Gibbons was awesome, Stormy Monday w/Beth Hart was standout and it was great to hear Paul Rodgers on Born Under a Bad Sign. Killing Floor w/Brian Johnson is still as good as I first heard it and still one of the best songs on the track. key to Highway w/Dorothy was solid, had good energy on that one. 

Papa Was a Rolling Stone w/Demi Lovato was better than expected, say what you want about her music or life or whatever, but she's objectively a good singer, denying that would just be bias, and I say that as someone who doesn't care one Iota about her music. Living for The City was also well done, I was skeptical of that just because it's hard to top Stevie(and Innervisions is my fav Stevie Wonder album), but that wasn't the goal and did well with the space that replaces the cinematic bit in the original. 

Oh Well w/Chris Stapleton was ok, as was Awful Dream w/Iggy. Metal Chestnut wasn't bad, I thought it just kinda didn't fit with the rest of the album, was more the modern SMKC type thing, which again isn't bad, but its nothing too interesting either. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Great video. Elevates the song even more. Probably the best music video anyone from GN'R has ever done.

On 5/17/2024 at 10:17 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Well the "S.E.R.P.E.N.T" acronym is a bit meh .  Some of the organizations he is raising money for are suspect. Like the one that was founded by Colin Kaepernick in my opinion. He isn't driving it down anyone's throats though and I have my doubts about how much Slash was really behind all that anyway.  He really hasn't mentioned it at all and describes the festival as a nod to Blues music.  I always admired Slash keeping things about the music. I think the most political thing he has ever done was his save the elephants crusade lol. 

He has mentioned it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

The best thing on the record in my opinion. Nice soling, great backing track and Her vocals are absolutely spot on! she is insane gifted (and trained) with her vocal control. Living for the city is also a favourite so far, big fan of that song in general and it doesn't disappoint.

My one negative takeaway from the record is that it's incredibly safe. How many times do we need to hear Crossroads covered? and especially when it's just the same old version. I think Slash could have taken a few more left turns and chosen a few other less covered songs. I know it needs to be commercially viable and well known songs will get more clicks, so I understand the thought process.

• Like 1