Will the GNR reunion negatively impact Slash's solo band?

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This is just an assumption though, not based on any indication or on something Slash said.

All he said was he planned to go back to SMKC. Just not when. He didn't know when, after having to postpone it from early 2016. We know the when is now. If GNR wanted to make an album who knows how long he would've waited? Now that we and he know they aren't making an album he went back to SMKC. What is there left to assume?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

13 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

All he said was he planned to go back to SMKC. Just not when. He didn't know when, after having to postpone it from early 2016. We know the when is now. If GNR wanted to make an album who knows how long he would've waited? Now that we and he know they aren't making an album he went back to SMKC. What is there left to assume?

I'm just not sure that Slash would be eager to go into the studio with Axl (it depends and on what Axl's idea of a new album is).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Overall I don't think there will be a backlash of any sort, it's easy to forget about the silent majority when the loud mouthed minority gets in the way. Slashs profile is bigger than ever now and I guess most people will realize it's not Slashs fault he had to go work on SMKC instead of GNR because Axl just doesn't want to do anything yet or he's busy with ACDC. Reception of DR wasn't good over on the Alter Bridge forums either. No hardcore fan is really pleased with the band releasing a radio friendly single that plays it safe over more harder rocking songs, and add onto that that the song is weaker than both previous lead singles. I'm sure the rest of the album and the album as a whole will get a positive reception from the fanbase.

That's already WAY too much IMO. GNR has been everywhere and he already plays all those songs in GNR. If GNR remains an active touring machine then he'd be doing himself a disservice playing all those songs in his solo shows too instead of the huge catalogue of VR/Snakepit/SMKC he can choose from. He needs to bring out gems like Doin' Fine or Battleground instead

For me, DR is a better song than WOF.

I'd rank them:

1. You're A Lie

2. Driving Rain

3. World On Fire (never cared for this song at all)

16 minutes ago, Towelie said:

For me, DR is a better song than WOF.

I'd rank them:

1. You're A Lie

2. Driving Rain

3. World On Fire (never cared for this song at all)

This version is much better. But I agree that driving rain is better than WOF. 

I don't think the reunion will affect Slash fans. Might actually attract more. I much prefer Slashs live performances with Myles. He just seems to enjoy it more. 

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

You can't honestly tell me you hear venom or attitude when Myles delivers his note-perfect dull renditions of GNR songs?

I was agreeing with you, mate. ;) And yeah, Myles doesn't have the venom. But he is a consisently good singer and a decent frontman.

With Axl it's a toss-up. He can have it for a song. Or a few. Or half a song. But then he goes full Mickey and it's just like that rock and roll band rolling on the streets; time went by and it became a joke. Plus I do miss the fire and the venom in reunion-GnR as well. The chemisty. Sometimes the magic is there. When I saw them in Nijmegen it certainly was when Angus was with them. But at other times it just feels uneasy, know what I mean? At least with Slash and Myles there's always a sense of enjoyment there. 

So yeah, giant douche vs turd sandwich like you said. 

3 hours ago, sl4yer said:

You can go to a GnR show and listen to king Axl Rose. You can go to SMKC show and listen to goat.

Yeah, King Mickey sounds spot on, doesn't he? :rolleyes: 

Edited by username
  • GNFNR 1

To be sincere I'd say I like the same amount of CD songs when comparing vs allsongs-from-exafd5; but I also dont see how It could change things for any worse. I dont even think Slash will be thrilled around It that much.

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

If I remember correctly, Myles also had plans in 2016/2017 to go on the road with Alter Bridge. And certainly, perhaps those plans were made in 2015 once Myles learned Slash would be going on tour with GNR. But I tend to think it was a mixture of both. They had planned the follow-up record all along. Slash loves to wrote on his "downtime" when he isn't touring. He was even talking about how he wanted to work on the record in the breaks between different GNR tour legs. The opportunity to release is now, obviously. You don't want to muddy the media waters with two different projects. You had the AFD super deluxe and locked n loaded released, and now you have Slash w/Myles and the Conspirators.

Next year, my gut tells me we see Axl with AC/DC and maybe an AC/DC EP and then GNR touring in between. If we're lucky, maybe some sort of GNR commercial release, but I won't hold my breath.

probably it has not become easier for smkc to draw audience since nitl. still I believe it will be within the expectations, good sells in nice mid size places.

for my part this super fine. smkc nail it live. they have a good catalogue when including some snakepit songs. some afd songs would be great too. almost can't wait listening to rocket queen, brownstone, night rain, ycbm with Brent on drums. IMO his drumming on these is great, even better than matt did.

concerning the new I think it'll sell well. though I am that  much excited after hearing DR. sounds as if they follow to much the overproduced WOF style. I love the rawness of the AL production, something I miss every time listening to WOF, but I admit the songwriting was really strong.

have no issues with Myles' voice at all, though, last tour's highlight to me was Todd on vocals

• Like 1

With the whole "unfinished business" tagline being put about, of course most of this album was written before the reunion, so makes sense...but after some promo and a bit of touring,
i suspect as long as Guns is on the table and potential of new music is coming (hopefully) then SMKC will come to it's conclusion after this era...

I saw SMKC only once in 2015 I think. Why did I go to the show? Cause I am a GNR fan and wanted to hear some of my fav.songs. I did never buy or download any slash solo stuff. a friend of mine got me a copy of his first smkc record and it didn t impress me much.

at the concert I saw Todd Kerns singing Jungle and that was what impressed me most. Myles zero. there s nothing I like about him. And after the live show my feelings did never change. If Smkc have gnr songs in their setlist I d go once and see them live. without gnr songs: meeh too boring. slash s solo stuff is boring and Myles the king of boredom

• Like 1

I think the public will be more aware of Slash’s solo stuff, and will lead to more fans. The biggest change I hope for is more of his songs and less GNR songs. I don’t hate Myles on GNR songs (except Brownstone, he fucking butchers it) I actually like him on most. I like a lot of songs from Slash’s other bands and would love to see more of those songs being played. There is also the possibility of the concerts going even longer, now that Slash has a taste for 3 and a half hour shows. That makes me even more excited, because he could play even more songs from all of his albums.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash's latest interview states otherwise though. He said he had always planned to go back to SMKC and has been looking forward to it. Unless it's just PR talk and he doesn't mean it.

talking about PR talk i am still not sure if it was Axl or a PR robot that gave that Iceland interview

"everyone is feeling great and we are all together to help each other and give our best to the fans"

yeah right

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Muddy said:

Technically speaking Myles is a very good singer . but as a frontman he is lacking. SKMC sounds like pop rock to me though which I dispise. 

I agree. Technically, he's great. I just find his voice whiny, nasally, and quite frankly, annoying to listen to. It's insufferable to my ears.

First off, SMKC was already working on this album before the NITL tour. They had to finish this and tour. The question is: what will be next  after this? I doubt that they will come up with new material after this album.  Just like SMKC had unfinished business, so does GNR.

Second, I really don't think SMKC had traction after WOF was released. They played at a food festival in Clark, NJ in 2014 when I saw them. To me, that's not gaining any traction. For this fall tour, they are playing at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ (I'm attending) and South  Street Seaport in NYC.  Not exactly gaining traction. 

Just some things to think about. 

• Confused 1

I don't know, it depends on how good (or bad, like DR) sounds the new album... Besides, he never played a lot of gnr songs on SMKC shows... (maybe 4 or 5)

Of course you cant compare SMKC shows (in terms of popularity or media attention) to GNR... In Argentina 40000 people attended GNR shows (at least), and 3000/5000 SMKC...

And yeah, Miles is a very good singer, but sometimes his voice doesnt fit with the songs...  

I also would love to see more Snakepit and VR songs being played! 

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

First off, SMKC was already working on this album before the NITL tour. They had to finish this and tour. The question is: what will be next  after this? I doubt that they will come up with new material after this album.  Just like SMKC had unfinished business, so does GNR.

Second, I really don't think SMKC had traction after WOF was released. They played at a food festival in Clark, NJ in 2014 when I saw them. To me, that's not gaining any traction. For this fall tour, they are playing at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ (I'm attending) and South  Street Seaport in NYC.  Not exactly gaining traction. 

Yeah, I saw SMKC at a smallish theater near me in a B-market two years before I saw GNR pack a 15,000 seat amphitheater. It was definitely surreal to see the difference between the levels of success so close together, and I think SMKC can only go down in terms of traction at this point, essentially being a supergroup and all.

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

There's a bigger market outside of the States. Here in Europe they played even in arenas up to 14000 people in their WOF tour. People seem to ignore that. 

I don't know how much traction they gained in SA and in Asia but watching these videos below it doesn't seem like they played amphitheaters in front of 200 people either.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

That first single from Slash is pretty good, but man, it would just be heavenly if it was being sung by Axl instead.

Except Axl has a songwriting and releasing phobia !!! And also sounds like a whiny cat !!

• Like 1