Rumors of Izzy & Steven returning?

52 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Do you notice a difference in his drumming between 2012 and now? If so do you like it? When I compare the way he plays songs from then to now I personally see a major difference and I don't particularly like the direction he went. 

And on the record, Brain was my favorite followed by Steven then Matt.

He played the tunes closer to how they were played on the records back then, takes more liberty now with the material so more parts are sometimes improvised and are different from show to show. More elaborate fills. I prefer his current drumming. His overuse of the cymbals was always there but I like that too. I don't like how they sped up the tempo and back then it seemed like he didn't fuck up as much compared to now.

My favorite Gn'R drummer is still Steven followed by Brain. There's a badass clip of Brain with Bucket on youtube where Brain is dressed like Bruce Lee wearing a yellow suit and just fuckin' killing it.

Edit: starts at the 0:33 mark

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I agree. I think the lessons that he's gotten has certainly improved his skills and he was good for the Chinese era of GNR, but come on guys this is 2019 going on 2020. they're one of the most successful rock bands in the world today, and ever. They can get any drummer they want and they're settling for Frank at a cheap value. I don't mind steven not being there, matt too with his ego issues but why can't brain be back? Why can't they get someone who is technically skilled and a much better drummer. I wouldn't even mind Brent Fitz, I think he's a very good drummer and works well with slash. 

Frank in the studio scares me. It seems like he and slash don't have the chemistry slash has had with other drummers has. I wonder how Frank and Duff work.

Even from 2009 until about 2012, he was doing his own thing but didn't stick out as much in a negative way. Sometimes it's like he's trying to 'keep up' with Slash, if that makes sense, in terms of flashiness and extra notes. Franks playing comes across as an awkward half-way point between being a 'metal/hard rock drummer' and a 'classic rock drummer', and the idea that 'less is more' seems lost on him.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Even from 2009 until about 2012, he was doing his own thing but didn't stick out as much in a negative way. Sometimes it's like he's trying to 'keep up' with Slash, if that makes sense, in terms of flashiness and extra notes. Franks playing comes across as an awkward half-way point between being a 'metal/hard rock drummer' and a 'classic rock drummer', and the idea that 'less is more' seems lost on him.

100% agree. couldn't have said this any better

• Like 2

I think it's literally as simple as Slash plays all the songs faster and so Frank doesn't play the songs exactly the same way as he did between 2006-2014 as a result. The CD songs sound the same because they're played to click tracks and backing tracks and are played at the same pace as they were in the past.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Frank pretty much ruins everything.

Yup. I gave him a chance in 2016 but now it's kind of hard to listen to. They could get any drummer they want, famous or not, but they choose to continue with him...

7 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

regarding Steven's line up changes, I would be that would come down to themoney.  there's no way he pays those guys more than a grand each per show.  cant live off that. probably why Izzy has never joined him for a song or two on any recent solo tours

He doesn't play shows very regularly either, which makes it hard to live off of if you're in his band. No consistent income.

6 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

And his drums always sound flat

What do you mean by that?

I wonder if Frank is miked properly or loud enough in the mix? Too much low end in his mix? 

I wonder only as listening to Sorum with Guns, even live he pissed me off, it just lacked a bit of the skip or energy or drive that Adler had. Sorum sounded more leaden and heavy. 

Whereas i seen him with Velvet Revolver and he sounded clearer and more high end. I realized he just had a shit live mix with Guns. The Tokyo videos drum sound is puke. The snare sounds like a Tom almost. 

Frank seems at times to wobble or waver at certain points in songs, but his mix is shit live too. So it find it hard to judge the dude. He doesn’t seem to be doing anything wrong, yet something doesn’t sound right.

Its like Kenny Jones after Moon....

My opinion is frank doesnt fit this version of guns style.  After hearing him play estranged night one in sydney 2017 i just wanted to say "slow the fuck down". You cant get any drummer to play with certain other members of a band...it seems as if frank takes a while to find a groove with the other band members. I just dont feel frank is stylistically compatible with this lineup.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, DK6 said:

That was the whole point! That's what everyone thought she was saying. I don't think anyone thought she was saying anything else!

The point was that she was implying that the forum members who don't like Frank are racist. They don't  like him because he's black.

Noone though she was being racist.

She was being incredibly offensive to people just offering an opinion on Frank's drumming - which they are entitled to do eithout being called racist.

Ahh got it, my mistake sorry peeps!

• Like 1

Lol at the comments Frank is in the band because he is cheap.

The guy is there for ten years, if it was just a question of money, he wouldve been gone for ages, as he was just a replacement for Brain. 

He is there because Axl likes him and probably sees him as a friend. Loyalty too, maybe. But he wouldn't be there otherwise. 

Oh, and he does the job, of course. He might be a different kind of drummer but maybe thats exactly what Axl was looking for.

Edited by default_
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, default_ said:

Lol at the comments Frank is in the band because he is cheap.

The guy is there for ten years, if it was just a question of money, he wouldve been gone for ages, as he was just a replacement for Brain. 

He is there because Axl likes him and probably sees him as a friend. Loyalty too, maybe. But he wouldn't be there otherwise. 

Oh, and he does the job, of course. He might be a different kind of drummer but maybe thats exactly what Axl was looking for.

of course he is there because he is cheap.  Fortus is also there because he is cheap.

There are hired hands in the bands for 15+ years.  They get 10k a month, while the rest of the band splits 300k+ from a show.

Thee are hired hands everywhere, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Smashing Pumpkins...

Better musicians - higher pay.  Would Axl want a better money - deeper in his pocket he would have to go.

Just like in sports, the better the player - the bigger the fee.

Side note about Frank changing his play when Slash & Duff came back; I've never liked the way any of the new lineups ended Jungle, Frank included. So when we went to the show in Vegas I remember saying "Man, I hope Slash & Duff taught Frank the right way to end Jungle live". Sure as shit, they played the ending the right way and have ever since. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

of course he is there because he is cheap.  Fortus is also there because he is cheap.

There are hired hands in the bands for 15+ years.  They get 10k a month, while the rest of the band splits 300k+ from a show.

Thee are hired hands everywhere, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Smashing Pumpkins...

Better musicians - higher pay.  Would Axl want a better money - deeper in his pocket he would have to go.

Just like in sports, the better the player - the bigger the fee.

Of course he is a hired hand lol but if it was JUST because of being cheap, he would be gone for ages. Any drummer, better drummers and even renowned drummers would do it even for a less of a paycheck than Frank, maybe, just to be part of the Guns N Roses reunion. 

Theres much more to Frank being in the band than being "cheap". 

I dont even like Franks drumming but saying he is there just because he is cheap is ridiculous. 

It's all about the money, Izzy and Steven don't draw so many crowds to justify the payment they earn (and probably, rightfully, demand) so financially for GNR it makes no difference, might as well go with Fortus and Frank who are doing a solid job, are nice people and professional/reliable touring members because as long as Slash and Axl are on stage then for most concert audience all is good and it's GNR. Sad state of affairs but if you have to pay ex wives and entourage there's probably not enough left to pay original members.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ratam said:

How is the people racist about Frank❓ but this same people isn't racist about Slash❓.......

That's the point; no one here is racist about Frank, regardless of what that user might think. No one has ever made a racist remark about Frank on this site. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

It's all about the money, Izzy and Steven don't draw so many crowds to justify the payment they earn (and probably, rightfully, demand) so financially for GNR it makes no difference, might as well go with Fortus and Frank who are doing a solid job, are nice people and professional/reliable touring members because as long as Slash and Axl are on stage then for most concert audience all is good and it's GNR. Sad state of affairs but if you have to pay ex wives and entourage there's probably not enough left to pay original members.

thats where the entourage should take a fucking beating for compromising the musical integrity of the band 

sure as shit steven matt or izzy aren't in the band because TB are so fucking up axl's ass milking all the money they can while they pretend Axl is their family member and not stephanie seymour's ex whom merely needed a shoulder to cry on 

if axl would fire all of TB clean up his life a bit, we'd have new music and the REAL band back together

• Like 4

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

thats where the entourage should take a fucking beating for compromising the musical integrity of the band 

sure as shit steven matt or izzy aren't in the band because TB are so fucking up axl's ass milking all the money they can while they pretend Axl is their family member and not stephanie seymour's ex whom merely needed a shoulder to cry on 

if axl would fire all of TB clean up his life a bit, we'd have new music and the REAL band back together

It's not hard to tell that these guys can't stand being around Steven Alder for any length of time and Izzy's always been pretty set on doing things his way and if his way today is to make the same money Axl/Slash/Duff are, well, sorry Izzy. It's not fair or realistic to expect people to give him whatever money he wants just to make it happen. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

It's not hard to tell that these guys can't stand being around Steven Alder for any length of time and Izzy's always been pretty set on doing things his way and if his way today is to make the same money Axl/Slash/Duff are, well, sorry Izzy. It's not fair or realistic to expect people to give him whatever money he wants just to make it happen. 

ok so lets be happy with one of the best classic rock bands of all time have their drummer sound like this (clip below) - matt in my opinion is the better option as to appease having a more normal guy to be around that both slash and duff both love but nooo AXL hates him cause he's too real. 

As for izzy? you're assuming he's not worth the $ but many would argue that he is, anyways we fans lose as a result - fortus as technically proficient as he is OVER PLAYS everything and does not mesh well at all with slash as izzy and the top hat are pure fucking magic together  

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

First and foremost it is a blessing to have the band (ax,slash,duff) together and touring.   I love it.   People want new music, but GOOD new music.  I hate to be a pessimist but I believe those chances are thin.  We love Guns b/c of the magic they captured 30 yrs ago.  But i haven’t heard anything from any of them that makes me think they’ll be knocking any socks off with new songs.  Unless of course Izzy is involved in the songwriting.  Then I believe it’s possible to hear some tasty new tracks.  

Edited by ceres
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ceres said:

But i haven’t heard anything from any of them that makes me think they’ll be knocking any socks off with new songs.  Unless of course Izzy is involved in the songwriting.

And let's be honest, Izzy hasn't set the world on fire with anything he's written since AFD either.