Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

I just heard it and like it.  I mean I like it for what it is, a DEMO.  Yes, slash would make it 100x better etc.  This is what concerns me about new music, look alot of the comments.  What do some people want?  Nothing will be good enough.  This is the 80s anymore, most people arent even into rock music.  Lets just enjoy the music if and when it comes out

30 minutes ago, D.. said:

It's clearly Buckethead, it's his sound. Sure Bumblefoot could do almost the same, but his sound is totally different than Bucket, if you're used to both styles.

As for "Slash can make it sound better"... Technically, he can't do this. I heard what he did on TWAT and other Chinese songs live, and he butchers them all, because it's too far away from his style. 

Slash shines when he's doing his style. To me, his two best works are "Coma" and "Serial Killer", he absolutely killed it writing those. If he can write stuff for the next album on par with those, sign me up directly.

But I'm very doubtful concerning the Chinese material, considering what we heard from him so far. He can reinterpret Hard School and rewrite the outro entirely, with his own sound, and it might sound cool, I can't say for sure. But it just doesn't fit him at all. I do think he and Duff can come up with a far better intro though.

Dude I get what you mean when it comes to the CD sound with Slash playing them. But what I'm trying to say is with Hard School, he can actually sit down and write something killer for it. Like I said in another post, it has a UYI feel to it, so I can't put doubt on Slash for this song. I'm sure he can nail a new better solo for this one that is "his sound". 

The chorus is absolutely amazing, it just kicks ass.

Everything else seems kind of bland to me. Okay, it's a demo but it just feels very basic, very boring, not much going on. The guitar section is way too long for my liking, if this were November Rain okay but it's just like a 4 minute "cock rock" song.

IMO the song needs a complete instrumental overhaul so that it actually stands out.

57 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

One thing that is a bit unfortunate is the way Axl overlays the ending of the verses with the chorus - no time to breathe at all and the chorus itself is the same, so many words.

Sounds like it wasn't intented to be played live.

Considering he was around 40 when he created it – i.e. the same era as OMG – it’s not so surprising.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, soon said:

I tried casually using the phrase “hard school” in conversation and the other person looked at me like I had two heads :lol:

This title sucks. Jackie Chan too, it doesn’t even make sense. I wish it was named Checkmate and released.

8 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

This title sucks. Jackie Chan too, it doesn’t even make sense. I wish it was named Checkmate and released.

Checkmate would be better and be a clearer statement for what the song seems to be about (to me Slash, but maybe other band members). Hard School has a certain ring to it though imho. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

Checkmate would be better and be a clearer statement for what the song seems to be about (to me Slash, but maybe other band members). Hard School has a certain ring to it though imho. 

If hardschool isn't used in the English speaking parts of the world, that makes it a great title for me. I always love Axlisms.

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I didn't know that, thanks. Had those songs been released in the past before the album?

Black Swan was a rare bonus track on United Abominations
Millennium of the Blind & New World Order were written during the Countdown to Extinction eras, and demos for both were released on the remaster of Youthanasia; NWO also appeared on the Duke Nukem soundtrack
Sudden Death was released as a single the year prior, but the band re-recorded it for the following album.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lio said:

If hardschool isn't used in the English speaking parts of the world, that makes it a great title for me. I always love Axlisms.

Apparently it has a regional use in parts of the States, especially in sporting. @Blackstar turned up some examples.

Im just guessing here, but in US pro Football (NFL) when they give someones bio if the player doesn't have a full degree from some college they get listed as being from the "school of hard knocks" in place of an alma mater. Which means like, they've had a less privileged life/shit happened. So just a guess that hard school might be a shorthand for school of hard knocks? I could be wrong though. So far as I understand where I live the equivalent for Axls usage of the phrase would be "Hard core" or "old school" 

Edited by soon

18 minutes ago, Lio said:

If it is a "school of hard knocks", then I can confirm we use it in the Czech Republic too, but the translation would go literally a "school of life".

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think it's "a storm is lifting"

Sounds even more plausible. 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Apparently it has a regional use in parts of the States, especially in sporting. @Blackstar turned up some examples.

Im just guessing here, but in US pro Football (NFL) when they give someones bio if the player doesn't have a full degree from some college they get listed as being "school of hard knocks" in place of an alma mater. Which means like, they've had a less privileged life/shit happened. So just a guess that hard school might be a shorthand for that. I could be wrong though. So far as I understand where I live the equivalent would be "Hard core" or "old school" 

My understanding from the examples I posted is that, at least in the context of sports, it means a combination of both, as in playing football/baseball/etc. in the old-school and tough way. 

I think Axl used it meaning that Slash/whoever the lyrics are about played it old-school and tough.  

11 hours ago, charliehoodger said:

Hardschool has, of course, too much going on to make it an awesome song. The "axl" parts are cool and that's what made the 22 seconds amazing. The rest if the song doesnt live up to that weirdly. 

Disagree totally. I love the intro and dueling solo breakdown bit. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, soon said:

Im just guessing here, but in US pro Football (NFL) when they give someones bio if the player doesn't have a full degree from some college they get listed as being from the "school of hard knocks" in place of an alma mater. Which means like, they've had a less privileged life/shit happened. So just a guess that hard school might be a shorthand for school of hard knocks? I could be wrong though.

9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

If it is a "school of hard knocks", then I can confirm we use it in the Czech Republic too, but the translation would go literally a "school of life".

In this example (not related to sports) it seems it has the meaning of "school of hard knocks" as in hard school of life:

hardsc15.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In this example (not related to sports) it seems it has the meaning of "school of hard knocks" as in hard school of life:

hardsc15.jpg

Very cool!

Just to expand on the NFL usage, for what its worth, if anything. Its very much like the article here, coming from difficult circumstances and having the grit to pursue dreams, as the article writes "the amazing things he did."

I think that in the NFL context "School of Hard Knocks" has an aspect of both "hard core" and "old school." Given that the NFL has a lot of black players, its like "this dude is so tough that he didnt need to get into a yuppie college to be trained by some upper middle class (likely white) coach. He made it into the NFL the old school way (before black americans had 'widespread' access to white colleges) with pure grit and hustle. And even with the racial element removed for poor white players there is still a sense of awe that someone didnt need to play 4 years of college football to make the NFL - "they must be a beast!" But that doesnt limit the term School of Hard Knocks to a tough and successful person, it just means that those coming from the school of hard knocks and succeeding are extra impressive and tough.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

After a few days of listening to it my conclusion is that even if it sounds unfinished and is not mixed properly, it's a true Chinese tune for me. Meaning it's got the album vibe and is of high quality. Like it would belong there. I didn't feel this way at all about Going Down and Silkworms. Going Down felt like a Tommy solo tune b-side and Silkworms was not good enough imo.

This one feels like it's another small piece of the puzzle.

Edited by Rovim