Slash / Trunk Interview: GNR Working On New Material, NO GNR Song In Terminator

15 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I don't know man, Slash still pulls off the rocker style pretty well. Just wish he'd not wear the hat sometimes 

Yup.. The hat looks so cliche stapled onto his extensions.. He looks a lot cooler during rehearsals and guests spots with his beanie or baseball hat or something. The hat would be cool if he used it more sparingly like during his solo or PC I guess

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Glad to see they are talking about switching the shows up a bit. As for the album, does that mean they won't be working on it until after the March shows?  If that is the case, who cares at this pint? I mean I hardly care about new music now. 

I think they have been working on and off for the last few months, but what I find more interesting is Slash saying they are all writing separately. That definitely suggests that a lot of the material is old cd era stuff. 

I don't know what the proposed follow up album was supposed to include in 2014 (when it was ready for release in Axls eyes) but if it's the mixed bag that hard school and Atlas are, I'm not sure this album is going to be very cohesive. Hopefully they work enough together that they get a good solid record. And hopefully a song or two will be be cut on the floor, at least gtr, bass and drums.

I'm going to reserve any proper judgement until I hear the album or at least an official song that will definitely be in the record... Now just to play The waiting game.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yup.. The hat looks so cliche stapled onto his extensions.. He looks a lot cooler during rehearsals and guests spots with his beanie or baseball hat or something. The hat would be cool if he used it more sparingly like during his solo or PC I guess

Agree 100%....it’s too gimmicky 

• Like 1

To answer one question here, Slash didn't just talk GNR. They spoke at length about the Conspirators recent tour before getting into Guns-related stuff. I couldn't transcribe the entire thing. Sorry. Would have just taken too long. They spoke for roughly half hour. I just tried to get the record-related details since that's what so many of us are clamoring for.

My impression after listening is that they have been working on music together while in town. And my guess is not just recently, but likely in the last year-plus. And I think a new release is imminent. Famous last words, I know. But something's gotta give. I'd love a surprise drop. Wake up to news a new single hit Spotify or something nuts like that.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't think he has extensions.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Glad to see they are talking about switching the shows up a bit. As for the album, does that mean they won't be working on it until after the March shows?  If that is the case, who cares at this pint? I mean I hardly care about new music now. 

I kind of wish he would do more SMKC after March. This waiting around for new music is getting old. I still firmly believe that they will release something but why does it have to take so long? And after this album, what next? Will that be the last one ever?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Exactly. Can’t stop age. If anything, all artists (not just GnR) should be constantly trying to adjust with age. As Axl and co reach their 70s they should tune down another key, go full acoustic, slow the tempos down, etc.

oh and maybe stop dressing like they’re still 20. It’s starting to look like a costume at this point lol.

Then again, back in their heyday not many people saw GnR and said: "I bet these guys are going to age gracefully".

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I kind of wish he would do more SMKC after March. This waiting around for new music is getting old. I still firmly believe that they will release something but why does it have to take so long? And after this album, what next? Will that be the last one ever?

I wish he would do something different that SMKC.. Maybe another guest album or try a blues album... I just can't do SMKC anymore. Or Myles at least.. the last album was pretty weak

• Like 2

I think an album will happen but I’m naturally pessimistic. 

Axl was practically forced into releasing the only Guns releases we’ve had the last 20 years or else material leaked. 

He didn't want Greatest Hits released, or CD, appetite for democracy was a contractual requirement I believe. 

Even on NITL, at Coachella and Download, we got the bare minimum. They had to show at least 2 songs on TV. 

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

To answer one question here, Slash didn't just talk GNR. They spoke at length about the Conspirators recent tour before getting into Guns-related stuff. I couldn't transcribe the entire thing. Sorry. Would have just taken too long. They spoke for roughly half hour. I just tried to get the record-related details since that's what so many of us are clamoring for.

My impression after listening is that they have been working on music together while in town. And my guess is not just recently, but likely in the last year-plus. And I think a new release is imminent. Famous last words, I know. But something's gotta give. I'd love a surprise drop. Wake up to news a new single hit Spotify or something nuts like that.

I ordered one of those GN'R duffel bags on the merchandise website. Included with the bag is a t-shirt and hat. The reason I ordered it is that, while I'm probably wrong, is the possibility that maybe the t-shirt and hat could be promoting something new. Will I be displeased if it ends up being some t-shirt and hat that's been on the website for two years? Probably. But I took the chance because at least the duffel bag is a nice piece of memorabilia. Just maintaining some hope that we will get some new music this year.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

this is like GNR 95 when they were just talking shit about not being able to make an album 

only this time they are busy to re-record 20 years old stuff (because they are unable to create anything new and relevant anymore) and are scratching their heads how to hide that these songs were actually actually composed by absolutely different band and it will look really stupid if most or all of a hypothetical new album has credits like Freese/Carroll/Mantia/Finck.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Ive been on here since 2003 and probably a little while before I signed up. In all my years on the forum I never have understood this waiting game about new music. Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why! 

Ok I feel better now. 

Carry On.

When you said you joined in 2003 I checked your profile because that's the year i joined.  As it turns out we joined on exactly the same day.😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zombux said:

only this time they are busy to re-record 20 years old stuff (because they are unable to create anything new and relevant anymore) and are scratching their heads how to hide that these songs were actually actually composed by absolutely different band and it will look really stupid if most or all of a hypothetical new album has credits like Freese/Carroll/Mantia/Finck.

I have a hunch that we're going to be in for a surprise. I don't think we're going to get much CD-era stuff on the next album. Slash has never had trouble writing songs. 

• Like 1

Slash seems to be confident they will release another album. Maybe they mostly come up with ideas on their own and send it to Axl so he can listen to it and see what he likes.

Doesn't look like it's as concentrated of an effort as it could be. Perhaps after they're done with all the remaining live shows they will pick up the pace but it still seems like they're taking their time kinda like Metallica did before Hardwired and do different things for years while they sometimes work on the album or they're on a break. 

Still, it's good to know that Slash is optimistic. I just think that if it's gonna happen, it's gonna be a long process cause Axl is still in the band.

Edited by Rovim

43 minutes ago, Creed said:

how can you even defend their behaviour? its the worst fan service in rock, i know.

there are no explanations and communications whatsoever. just a shitty douchebag with a hat and t-shirt. 

No band in the world needs fans like you.

18 hours ago, betterman said:

Think the album is pretty much done and will be out for the next leg of the tour (march/april), they cant tour the NITL tour much longer without any new product.

I think they keep most secretly and maybe announce a single from out of nowhere - we can only hope!

O course they can.  who needs the new album when you can switch around 2 or 3 members and tour the same setlist he did past 20 years!?

the system worked in the past, no reason not to repeat the tactics.

Adler/Matt, Iz/Gilby vs new album?  Axl mind no doubt on choice.