Pitman interview, nothing is coming

rckn

What a douche. Music is free? Then why were you charging $150-$400 the last time you came to Toronto?

Want to know how new bands make it? By releasing fucking great songs. It's not complicated. It's why Mumford and Sons' last album sold over 600k copies its first week out.

Explain how Adele has sold over 25 million copies of "21"? It's not rocket science, just release epic great music and people will buy it. Release shit like Blood in the Water and don't complain why no one lines up at "record shops" to buy 10 seconds of music that's repeated for 5 minutes.

Edited by downzy

The whole quote for those interested. He starts talking about when the next Tool album will come out:

"It's just out-of-control amazing [the next Tool album]. And what is really nice now, you don't have to be in a hurry to make a record now. Because people don't buy it. There is no record shops. So why the fuck put a record out? Just do what you want to do. And that is nice. It works both ways. People don't want to buy it, so you don't have to put it out. And when we do, we just relax and take our time...just like Guns, we don't care. We go out and play songs that people know, but we're not knocking ourselves out to release music. There's no need to that now, it's not the time and place."

Edited by SoulMonster

Ive never seen him talk before and he comes across as the most un rock n roll person ever.

He looks like somebodys dad who has put on a snide pair of sunglasses and thinks hes cool after 2 beers. Is really cringeworthy.

hopefully a new album wouldn't involve him or his stupid plagiarized song intros at all

This is really disappointing. The music industry needs artists like Axl. He's so creative and a real visionary and he's got so many hardcore fans. We get crap like Bieber and Rihanna fed to us constantly while genius like Axl have stopped creating. It's been 5 years since the last record you would think they would at the very least start thinking about the next album. It's the neverending mystery! He needs to stop caring so much as BBF hinted may be the problem!

And if Pitman is right in his views on the music industry, about bands just touring, not releasing albums, then the music industry is garbage and I want no part in it. Sorry, call me old fashioned, but I like my bands to release albums. I refuse to see nostalgia shitfests. Still, Pitman isn't 100% right as there are still bands who put out albums.

Exactly there's no excuse as to why it's not happening. rock bands are all still releasing records-Black Sabbath, Loaded etc.. Perhaps Axl is in a rut creatively or writer's block but that's a hell of a long time to still have it after last record. It's sad and such a waste of time as he's a true talent.

And if Pitman is right in his views on the music industry, about bands just touring, not releasing albums, then the music industry is garbage and I want no part in it. Sorry, call me old fashioned, but I like my bands to release albums. I refuse to see nostalgia shitfests. Still, Pitman isn't 100% right as there are still bands who put out albums.

My local record shop is packed with new stuff. And iTunes sales should count as well so this "no one buys music anymore" is crap. Maybe back in 2002 when there was nothing good to buy they can make that argument.

So people can stop pretending it's the label who prevent gnr to relase album. The fact is they just don't care and people don't buy albums anyway.

Labels aren't shit. Thank you!

It's all about the band wanting to or not, or Axl wanting to in this case. If you want to release music, you will.

The whole quote for those interested. He starts talking about when the next Tool album will come out:"It's just out-of-control amazing [the next Tool album]. And what is really nice now, you don't have to be in a hurry to make a record now. Because people don't buy it. There is no record shops. So why the fuck put a record out? Just do what you want to do. And that is nice. It works both ways. People don't want to buy it, so you don't have to put it out. And when we do, we just relax and take our time...just like Guns, we don't care. We go out and play songs that people know, but we're not knocking ourselves out to release music. There's no need to that now, it's not the time and place."

This is so dismissive of your hardcore fanbase though. Okay so it's not as large as it was circa 93 but it's still there. Other established bands recognised this. The industry has changed but what Pitman is saying is a version of Naomi Campbell's ' I don't get out of bed for less than $10000'. Other bands of the same era at least acknowledge the fans that made them rich and famous in the first place and in return those fans are happy to pay for deluxe remix albums, dvds and pretty much anything else they throw their way. In the age of the internet there will always be downloaders but Axl is already rich and new music would still make money even if it's not nineties level dosh. If this really does boil down to money it makes me wonder if previous rumours about financial difficulties have legs otherwise why constantly piss off your fanbase over it.

There is a distinction between fans and concert goers although obviously they overlap. Taking your time is fair enough but they really do stretch it to the limits. Managing to get the live dvds out would have gone a long way to appease fans. Generally I'm one of those people that is hopeful of seeing a new album by the end of 2014 but they really don't help themselves sometimes.

"Because people don't buy it. There is no record shops. So why the fuck put a record out? Just do what you want to do. And that is nice. It works both ways. People don't want to buy it, so you don't have to put it out"

Imagine how mindblown Pittman will be when he discovers Internet and digital dimension entire entertainment in dustry has moved to:O Someone should get him a computer/smartphone. Too bad DJ is busy camwhoring 24/7 with his phone, otherwise he could borrow it for a sec.

Betting my old AFD poster(torn severly from corner,no shipping outside Finland) that he doesn't actually think this way..In heart of hearts and all. Just a way of justifying existing in band that doesn't really pursue any creative venues.

If we take his words w/o grain of salt, you'd have to go back to whole late 90's retard fest hosted by Ulrich til you manage to find an environment where what he is saying isn't narrow minded, obsolete fraction of truth. It has NEVER been easier for an artist to publish and distribute a record. It has never been easier for consumer to buy and get that record.Consumer has never had more convinient ways to take that record with him to where ever. This..along with few other Internet related things has made industry completely fragmented; there is absurd amount of genres, styles and bands who are finding and carving their own audience. Inevitably it means huge bands are much less huge than they used to be in..say, 80's or so. People just have much more to pick from. Inevitably it causes fragmentation..which is a good thing. Ofc, this and ppiracy combined means Axl could afford ending world hunger only from half of the Africa, as opposed to entire Africa. BOO FUCKING HOO.

Earlier today I bought the new Nin album. Ordering it+getting it(if we count secoonds from moment it gets released...) consumed much less time than it took to write this post.

Edited by LTD
  • Like 1